Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2012, 03:27 PM   #1
jt41time
Registered Member

love the mr5 you built, one minor issue......

Just got the Mr you build in the mail. Love this thing. Wow. Build was easy and this thing is solid. At half the price of a "good" name brand reactor, why would you use anything else.....

One tiny little issue......
The o-ring, too hard. Do sent squish very easy and seems to leak. I think if they used the reddish orange style o-rings, it would seal better. Does anyone know the size it is(I don't wanna take it apart)so I can order the other style?

jt41time is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 08:49 PM   #2
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

We can get the black EPDM o-rings in different durometers (hardness). We used to use the squishier ones but I think some harder ones got ordered and mixed into the kits. I can send you a softer one (the same durometer as the orange silicone) if you send me an email.

Justin

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 10:47 PM   #3
jt41time
Registered Member

Wow. That's cool. And there's another reason why I love the product. The company Stands behind it. Even on the stupidest little thing like an o-ring. (And my name is justin, also helps.....)
Pm sending now.....

Unread 09/11/2012, 10:50 PM   #4
jt41time
Registered Member

Your box is full. So here you go

Jt41time@Hotmail.com

Unread 09/17/2012, 11:08 PM   #5
jt41time
Registered Member

Just wondering if you ever sent the o-ring?

Unread 09/18/2012, 01:25 PM   #6
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Sorry about that, I don't get to check the forums as often as I like. Emailing or calling is always the quickest way to reach us
It is going out today.

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 08:16 AM   #7
jasony816
Registered Member

I just purchased the MR5 and I like it but I have the same comment as jt41time that the o-ring is too hard and it does leak as I am having that issue also I am going to try and clean out that 0-ring groove again tonight and clean the o-ring again and see if it seals. That was one of the reasons I have it inside my sump instead of outside, I didnt trust that it would seal. I tried only hand tightening the thumbscrews and tightening it more and it still leaks so I am hoping it seals after I clean out the groove and the o-ring.

jasony816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 08:47 PM   #8
jt41time
Registered Member

Justin was great and sent me the new o-ring. I have not installed it yet but it still seems hard. I'm thinking it still needs to be the really soft orange red ones. I know that they all have a hardness rating. But dealing with the reddish style, in always seen them softer.... being a plastic container and no really psi in the chamber, a smaller softer o-ring would be fine. The o-ring that come with it is used on some hardcore stuff like my big rigs and there air supply for breaks.... almost too overkill.

All said though, justin heard my complaint and sent what he had out asap. I'm still very behind avast customer service, and that's what I do for a living and I'm damn good at it also. Keep it up justin.

I'm goin to my hardware store and pick up something not so hardcore and see what works. I will report back. I'll do some r and d for them.... hehehehe.

Unread 10/03/2012, 10:14 AM   #9
jasony816
Registered Member

yeah I haven't gotten a response yet to my email regarding the o-ring leak either, I might have to go try and find another one, I believe they are 3.5" size.

jasony816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

We use Buna-n o-rings with a durometer of a70 which is the same durometer as the orange silicone ones. We have 1000's of them in service and I can honestly say that they do not need to be softer. Usually leaks are from a bit of something stuck in the groove or from over tightening.

Jasony, I see that Justin responded several times to your emails. Might want to check your spam folder.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote