Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2002, 08:11 AM   #1
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

1st baby briareus hatched today

yup, hatched at about 10am. It is about 6-7mm in size and is scooting about on the sand. There are several other eggs which are just about ready to hatch too.
I would say that most of the eggs are still about a week or so away from hatching because they have still to flip over in the egg.
Just wanted to keep you up to date...

Here goes then....................

Colin

Unread 02/16/2002, 08:16 AM   #2
cephalopoder
Premium Member

Thats great Colin. Do you have enough fod on hand? Areyour rearing chambers all set? Maybe you can get some videos of the little ons hatching?
chris

Unread 02/16/2002, 11:18 AM   #3
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

Hey Chris,
Loved your new pic on TONMO by the way. Is that one of your own octos? What size was it in the pic? I know hoe pics can be confusing for size reference etc.

I have 300 Corophium volutator in a tank and another 300 coming next week for the young octos. They are a type of amphipod found over here which is sold as a first food for baby sea horses. Ideal, I thought.

I will finish the chambers today and tommorow. The ones that are hatching just now are being put into a 15 gallon tank which has sat empty except some hermits, snails, live rock. Todays hatchlings were removed from the female about 10 days ago and kept suspended in this empty tank at a warmer temp than the rest to give me a sample batch to experiment on ahead of the main batch. Something Dr Woods reccomended.

I am going to have to talk really nicely to my sister to see if i can get the camera off her again to get some shots of the babies are you reading this Badger Princess????

Unread 02/16/2002, 12:06 PM   #4
cephalopoder
Premium Member

Thanks Colin
The bimac is almost a 1 to 1 ratio with the pic. Its mantle was the size of a lemon. Its a picture of the bimaculoides I had before my current octo. This bimac had the best personality of any octo I have kept yet. I truely love the bimaculoides, they are one awesome octo! I would like to get a young O.cyanea some day. I will need a very large tank for one of those. I understand they can get up to 12 kg!
I read your sisters posts. I had fun responding hehe.
chris

Unread 02/17/2002, 02:15 PM   #5
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

I just wish it was possible for me to name a species to the importer and they could get it. Every octo they sent me was supposed to be vulgaris! I would also love a cyanea but maybe one day I'll save up enough to get that GPO sent over. lol that will be the day......... I was told about £800!

Unread 02/18/2002, 05:10 PM   #6
asch803
Registered Member

please keep info coming on the babies....

Colin, please continue to keep us posted on the babies...sounds really amazing!

Andy

asch803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2002, 02:38 PM   #7
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

Will do..... so far i only have 6 hatched.. they are eating an amphipod called Corophium, a couple a day by the looks of it. I will try to get some pics soon........

Unread 03/05/2002, 10:27 PM   #8
schmunkel98
Registered Member

Colin,

Any updates on the baby octos? I'm wondering how many will make it from those that hatch. Do you have room for all these guys if they do? Any plans to breed the cuttlefish as well? Good luck and take some more pictures for us if you have a chance!

Mike

www.schmunkel.0catch.com

schmunkel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2002, 06:33 AM   #9
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

The octo eggs which are left are doing great. The mum accidently disslodged a bunch of 8 and i caught them and i am suspending them in her tank using fishing line so i can clearly see their development. The yolks are almost totally gone in some of them and they are much bigger than the ones that hatched a couple of weeks ago.

The cuttlefish will deffinetly be given full attention when the time comes, I think that by going on size, size of the 1st and 8th tentacles and behaviour i have 4 males and 3 females. but they are only about 5" long just now. I think that like squid they may spawn under a full moon and my new lights (ufo complet http://www.aquaconnect.com/ecomplete.html ) that they will help because they go through a lunar cycle. there are bulbs that simulate new moon to full moon and back over 28 days.

I'll get new pics when my sister (as wise and powerfull as she is) decides to forgive me for keeping her camera so long last time, grovel grovel hehehe