Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2009, 09:52 AM   #1
mn jeff
Registered Member

Fish that are safe (relatively) with a Gigantea

I eventually want to get a Gigantea for my new tank, but as I'm stocking it, I don't want to buy fish that are likely to be eaten by the nem. Any suggestions as to which fish to stay away from and which ones you've had luck with? I want to have 2 B&W ocellaris and 2 Banggai cardinals, and I'd like to add maybe 2 or 3 other fish. They'll be going into a 58 gallon.

mn jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 10:18 AM   #2
velvetelvis
Registered Member

I've never kept a gigantea, but my guess would be to avoid fishes that live near the bottom, like watchman gobies or mandarins, since the gigantea are sand-dwellers. BTW, I love your clownfish/cardinal combination--very striking! I'd love to do the same, but my tank is a little small for that many fish.

velvetelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 03:02 PM   #3
kellon16
Registered Member

No small fish. I think the cardinals are all right I think they use the nem as protection. but nothing that perches like hawk fish. anything else should be fine (should) Ive heard of people tangs get eaten by those things. but not likly I would rather have a gig any day

Current Tank Info: 220 reef
kellon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 03:12 PM   #4
mn jeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellon16 View Post
No small fish. I think the cardinals are all right I think they use the nem as protection. but nothing that perches like hawk fish. anything else should be fine (should) Ive heard of people tangs get eaten by those things. but not likly I would rather have a gig any day
Someday I'd like to have tangs, but that will have to wait until I upgrade to a larger tank. I would much rather have a gig, though.

Unread 12/06/2009, 03:18 PM   #5
kellon16
Registered Member

Its highly unlikey that it would bother your tangs I the artivle I was reading the person had a 20 inch gig or some massive one and the tang got a little to curious. that is the only time i have heard of one eating a tang.

Current Tank Info: 220 reef
kellon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 07:05 PM   #6
dalston
Registered Member

A Gigantea has the potential to eat almost all fish that would be suited for your 58 gal, I have seen both tangs and angels fall victim before. The key to keeping your fish out of danger is keeping them healthy, most healthy fish should stay clear of the anemone by them selves.

An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one - George Mikes
dalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 03:17 PM   #7
phender
Registered Member

I am not sure if any of the above posters have ever kept any gigantea carpets, but in my experiance, having kept several for many years, I have never lost any fish of any kind to my giganteas. I have lost plenty of fish to haddonis, but not to giganteas.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Reefvette
Registered Member

Phender Sorry

I gotta burst your bubble my two foot gigantea ate a 2 inch atlantic blue and a 4 inch orange shoulder

take a look
This is the orange shoulder after getting sucked in halfway.

somewhere in my photobucket album is the pic of the juvi atlantic blue in the anemone.

Unread 12/07/2009, 03:38 PM   #9
phender
Registered Member

No bubble bursted here. I was just giving my experience because none of the other posters seemed to have any first hand knowledge.

It is good to know that your experience is not the same.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
Unread 12/07/2009, 06:55 PM   #10
mn jeff
Registered Member

phender, which one of your tanks do you have the gigantea? One of your clown tanks?

Unread 12/07/2009, 07:12 PM   #11
phender
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn jeff View Post
phender, which one of your tanks do you have the gigantea? One of your clown tanks?
My most recent giganteas have been in my 60 gal tank that has become a clown only tank. I have had 3 in there that have all lasted more than a year, but have died suddenly under odd circumstances. Two died after large meals, which is why I won't feed silversides or other large chunks anymore and one died during a growth spurt of a H. crispa that share the tank, which is why if I every try another gigantea it will be in a tank by itself. Not scientific data for sure, but enough for me to change my husbandry techniques.

FWIW, I have also heard recently from a person who has a lot of success with giganteas that when his start to go thought the typical "death dance",i.e., shrinking and inflating over and over with the shrinking lasting longer each time, if he raises the temp up to between 82-85 F, they come out of it and recover. Since they are usually collected in shallow water it could be that we are keeping them to cold. Again, not scientific evidence, just something to consider.

Unread 12/07/2009, 07:53 PM   #12
mn jeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
FWIW, I have also heard recently from a person who has a lot of success with giganteas that when his start to go thought the typical "death dance",i.e., shrinking and inflating over and over with the shrinking lasting longer each time, if he raises the temp up to between 82-85 F, they come out of it and recover. Since they are usually collected in shallow water it could be that we are keeping them to cold. Again, not scientific evidence, just something to consider.
That's interesting. How long does he leave the temp that high? Just until it starts to recover? It seems logical that maybe they need to have higher temps since they are from shallow water.

What kind of lighting do you have yours under? I'm planning a 6x39w Icecap T5 diy.

Unread 12/07/2009, 08:05 PM   #13
phender
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn jeff View Post
That's interesting. How long does he leave the temp that high? Just until it starts to recover? It seems logical that maybe they need to have higher temps since they are from shallow water.

What kind of lighting do you have yours under? I'm planning a 6x39w Icecap T5 diy.
I think now that he has seen the trend, he keeps the temps above 82 all the time.

My giganteas have always been about 6 inches under the surface of the water, directly below a 150 watt MH lamp, which was 8" above the water. I like T5's and use them on my SPS reef tank, but giganteas are probably the most light loving anemone there is. I'm not sure T5's would cut it. Maybe there are some others out there who have used T5's over their giganteas that could chime in.

In addition to high lighting, in many people's experience, they also seem to prefer a surging type of current.

Unread 12/07/2009, 08:46 PM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

I got a Gigantea for 6 weeks at this time, so I am not an expert by any stress of imagination but I love Gigantea and read almost everything there is about keeping them. I think high light, not low temperature (lower to mid 80's), and adequate (surge tank is best) circulation are optimal. I have 150 W 10K MH situate similar to what phender recommended. They require even higher light and circulation than H. magnifica.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banggai, clownfish, gigantea, stocking