Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Blu3s94
Registered Member

Head loss help

Can someone check me on this? I have a jebao 4000 rated at 1056 gph.

I have a 125 gallon tank, 40 gallon sump.
I have
(4) 90s
(1) ball valve
(2) unions
8' vertical 3/4" schedule 40
6' horizontal 3/4" schedule 40
2 exits
1 inlet

I'm calculating 9 ft head loss. Which is max for this pump... so to get 5x turnover at 150 gallons of tank volume, what size pump do I need? Would prefer to stick with jebao.

I have this pump maxed out and hardly any water comes out of the returns. Been like this for over a year lol but never had any problems. Redid my sump and plumbing and noticed not much was coming out of lines....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blu3s94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 10:13 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

I suspect you have more that 9’ of head. Probably closer to 10’. Are you using a T fitting to feed the two “exits”? If so, PVC Wye would be much better. Either way, you’re going to need at least a 8000 if you are sticking with Jebao for 5x turnover with that head loss. With an 8000, you likely won’t have to run it at full power and might even have some breathing room to feed a manifold for reactors down the line. Keep in mind that when looking at the specs of the 8000, I am pretty sure they are based on 1” output. While they come with a 3/4” barb, your 3/4” plumbing will add additional head pressure to that pump since it’s max ratings are based on larger diameter plumbing.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 10/15/2018 at 10:20 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Blu3s94
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I suspect you have more that 9’ of head. Probably closer to 10’. Are you using a T fitting to feed the two “exits”? If so, PVC Wye would be much better. Either way, you’re going to need at least a 8000 if you are sticking with Jebao for 5x turnover with that head loss. With an 8000, you likely won’t have to run it at full power and might even have some breathing room to feed a manifold for reactors down the line. Keep in mind that when looking at the specs of the 8000, I am pretty sure they are based on 1” output. While they come with a 3/4” barb, your 3/4” plumbing will add additional head pressure to that pump since it’s max ratings are based on larger diameter plumbing.
Yes its coming off a T. I went ahead and got the Jebao DCP 10000. Guess I can just dial it back if its a little too much.

Thank you for confirming my head loss was in the ballpark of what I figured

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blu3s94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 11:58 AM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

DC pumps do not handle head pressure very well.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote