Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2018, 12:34 PM   #1
tonyreef
Registered Member

Day 24 in QT

I have 3 fish in QT 2 clown gobies & a Flame angle. I have done 2 stints with prazipro the first stint went really smooth but the second dose affected the angle to the point it stopped eating that was 3 days ago I have since done a water change and added carbon to the HOB. I noticed rapid breathing from time to time and one white spot on the out side of the gill on the angle the gobies are OK as far as I can tell. Once in a while the angle will do this violent opening and closing with its mouth & whip his head. Sometimes it will look like it is trying to eat from the surface of the PVC. So I'm going to hypo now what do you think?

tonyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 12:47 PM   #2
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I would do a fresh water dip for 5 min max to rule out flukes. there are some strains of flukes that are prazi resistant so hopefully thats not what you are dealing with.
If nothing shows up in the fw dip, then you might be dealing with ich which could be in its gills.
5 days in hypo should treat for flukes as well. for ich it would need to be 30 days. you will need a properly calibrated refractometer for hypo and need to make sure that the levels don't change due to evaporation.
Also what are your water param for the qt? ammonia in check?

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 01:27 PM   #3
tonyreef
Registered Member

Yes ammonia is 0 I just lowered the salinity to 1.019 I think I might just go with the coppersafe route? What do you think?

Unread 02/04/2018, 02:23 PM   #4
lagatbezan
Registered Member

coppersafe will treat for ich and velvet but not if its flukes. Freshwater dip will confirm flukes.
just make sure you raise the copper level slowly within 3-5 days to get it to therapeutic level. For coppersafe I believe you want to use 2ml/gal and that should get you to 1.5-2.0 concentration.

Unread 02/04/2018, 02:56 PM   #5
tonyreef
Registered Member

Ok great should I just leave the salinity where it’s at? Also I’ve never done a FW dip so equaliz the temp using RO & in it goes?

Unread 02/04/2018, 07:28 PM   #6
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Yeah the salinity is fine. Just get the fw to the same temp as the qt. Put in an air stone for 15-30 min to oxygenate the water. Then put the fish in for 5min max. Add a little bit of the qt water to the fw and that will help balance out the ph.
You are looking to see if anything falls off the fish. Flukes will look like opaque sesame seeds and will fall off the fish within the first 3-4 minutes.
Here is a link to a great video of it:
https://youtu.be/Po_dvEr5DL0

Unread 02/04/2018, 07:38 PM   #7
tonyreef
Registered Member

Very good thank you! I’ll follow up with what happens!

Unread 02/09/2018, 02:23 AM   #8
tonyreef
Registered Member

Did the FW dip today and nothing came off. It went better than I expected it just gave a couple kicks & laid there with rapid breathing. Was eating vivaciously in 30min.
The white spot is gone? I'm really hoping I'm able to avoid the copper if things continue spot and stress free. I just wonder could the 3 fish be infected with something and it not present? If there are any issues with the crud it would be visible by now? Day 29

Unread 02/09/2018, 03:37 PM   #9
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I would monitor and observe them for a another week or two and hope nothing changed.