Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2012, 05:15 PM   #1
rdavis47
Registered Member

Pro's of a Basement sump

Now with everyone switching to LED's is there still value in having a sump located in the basement?

rdavis47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 06:53 PM   #2
MattyO
Registered Member

I guess the main thing would be u can have a sump bigger then ur tank, it's easier for maintenance and on ur back lol... Not that I have a basement sump though

Unread 05/03/2012, 07:01 PM   #3
eatbreakfast
Registered Member

Dont have to worry about splashes as much when doing water changes, and often easy to have your main pump valved to a house sump pump or slop sink to do water changes quickly and easily.

eatbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 07:16 PM   #4
jerpa
Registered Member

Noise is greatly reduced. You aren't confined by a stand when working on your equipment. Your sump can be any size and adding a stand alone refugium or frag tank is very simple. Water changes are a breeze if there is a floor drain nearby. The downside is costs for plumbing and pressure rated pumps. The electricity for the heating in the winter is generally higher. I think the pros greatly outweigh the Cons but to each their own.

jerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 07:27 PM   #5
snorvich
Team RC member

All my sumps are in the basement. I would never consider doing it any other way: noise is less, ease of doing maintenance, larger skimmer, large refugium. Con is the larger pump required to overcome head.

Unread 05/03/2012, 08:08 PM   #6
James77
Registered Member

Some have switched to LEDs, then went running back to their previous lighting

Pros of a basement sump: Easy water changes, I really, really miss the days of rolling a barrel up to the tank and starting a siphon. Now- im lucky enough to live above a walk out basement- I need to go outside, run a hose in and run water into it, then start the siphon. More room, nothing crammed under the sump, less noise if you use loud equipment.

cons- heat loss for me, I had 1200 watts of heat running on a 175g tank almost 24/7 in the winter. Bigger pumps. Nothing other than that, If I had the room and motivation I would do it again.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 06:30 PM   #7
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Hmmm, I think this thread should be "are there ANY cons to having a basement sump?"

Everything is better. Temp and humidity are easier to control (unless you don't have an insulated basement and live in North Dakota). Way more options for, well, basically everything. You don't have to worry about cramming all your pumps, reactors, skimmer, refugium etc into that claustrophobic space under your tank. Granted, I've seen some nice systems with all the filtration under the tank but basement/fish rooms are ten times better.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846238

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 07:21 PM   #8
MarkGP
Why do I do this?

The biggest pro is how quiet the tank is. For me the only con is having extra heaters for the winter due to the colder basement and the higher electric bill.

MarkGP is offline   Reply With Quote