Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2010, 01:34 PM   #1
velvetelvis
Registered Member

ORA green toadstool vs. Tyree green toadstool

It almost sounds like a fight--but it's really just to help me make a decision. I want to get one of these Sarcophyton varieties. Since I have a small tank (34G), it will be the showpiece of the tank, so I'd really like maximum color and polyp length.

I'm leaning towards the Tyree, but I've seen pics of both that look almost identical. I know that different tank conditions can also cause two clones from the same mother colony to look completely different.

Does one get bigger than the other? Do they require similar conditions as far as lighting and flow?

Pics, comments, all appreciated. Thanks!

velvetelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2010, 11:31 AM   #2
gflat65
Registered Member

I think maybe some varieties of the two may look very much the same, but the ones I've have are quite different, with the Tyree being much more attractive to my eyes. I placed them side by side for somewhere between four and six months so they'd get the same conditions. The ORA started to look a little more like the Tyree, but never got there.

ORA and Tyree within first month of being side by side (Tyree behind ORA). Pcitures dpon't seem to show it as well, but the polyps were much longer on the Tyree and several shades greener throughout. At one point, the ORA was close to the Tyree in color (easily distinguishable under actinic only, but very similar under full lighting), but it then began to lose color for some reason (still side by side). Never got quite there, but was close at one point.

ORA and Tyree after four months side by side.

Unread 03/28/2010, 12:25 PM   #3
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Thanks! I ended up going with the Tyree--looks like I made the right decision.

How fast do they grow? Also, do you have any idea of roughly how big they might get? "Reef Secrets" states that S. ehrenbergi gets to be "medium"-sized, but I don't know what that works out to, other than I guess it might not get as massive as some other species.

Unread 03/30/2010, 03:08 AM   #4
gkb
Registered Member

Thanks gflat*. It is nice to see a side-by-side comparison like that.

gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2010, 03:12 AM   #5
gkb
Registered Member

velvet*, these critters can get pretty large. If you fall in love with your new aquisition, you might find yourself looking for a bigger tank. This might happen pretty quickly, too.

Keep in mind that you could give him/her a good haircut once in a while, to keep growth in check. You could send the clippings to my house, if you like.

gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2010, 12:56 PM   #6
wisdom695
Registered Member

You will probably be ok with the growth. I have never seen any get much larger than 6 in. before they start self propagating. I have 2 that are only about 3 inches around before they start to split. I am sitting with 16 of the self fragged ones in my tanks at the moment. They just don't stop.
They are a great and easy coral.

wisdom695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2010, 08:59 PM   #7
yiliyang
Registered Member

My Tyree started out 3 years ago at the size of a silver dollar. It is now 10" tall and 8" wide. It seem to hit a growing spur, and then the growth slows down. The slow down could be due to limited nutrition in the water.

yiliyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 10:21 AM   #8
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

I just picked up the frag at FedEx on Tuesday. Today is the first time I've gotten a look at it under full lighting (my work schedule and lighting schedule aren't always in synch). It's about 1" across when open and the polyps are extending nicely. It isn't that blazing green color that the coral is famous for, but I wouldn't expect it at this point. But the color is already distinct from other sarcos I've kept; the polyps are definitely green, and the base is a lighter color than usual.

So far my digitata and turbinaria seem unaffected, but I'm going to watch them closely, especially because they're all in a small tank. I figure I can at least get away with keeping them all together while the Tyree is still small. I'm also running carbon and a Sapphire nano-skimmer.

At this point the polyps are short and stubby. Is this just because it's in a new environment, or do they grow longer over time?

ETA: I placed the Tyree on a rock this morning after keeping it on the bottom a couple of days so it could adjust to the lighting--and wow, the difference already. The polyps are sitting up and taking on that famous neon-green glow. It obviously loves the MH lighting. I'm beginning to see why this coral is so popular. Really looking forward to seeing it grow and get even more beautiful.

Last edited by velvetelvis; 04/02/2010 at 10:31 AM.
Unread 04/03/2010, 09:57 AM   #9
gflat65
Registered Member

My Tyree has been a slow grower, but that is not the norm. I got it as a quarter sized frag 5 or 6 years ago, have only taken self propagated frags from it, and it is maybe 3.5-4" in diameter (around the folds). Not sure why it's been so slow. I noticed the polyps on the ORA change length over time, so they could get longer as it adjusts. My Tyree's polyps are shorter than normal right now...