Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2008, 07:50 AM   #51
bleedingthought
Registered Member

Awesome!

Unread 04/28/2008, 08:04 AM   #52
GSMguy
Registered Member

i love it.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2008, 11:35 AM   #53
Gig 'em
Registered Member

gosh your aquarium is sooo beautiful!

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 02:21 PM   #54
mobert
Registered Member

Thanks! One more picture:

mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 02:39 PM   #55
scbauer
The Buff Reefer

Mona, that is such an awesome tank. I'm in the process of building a 50-gallon in-wall tank and am leaning towards making it a clown/anemone tank. Your pictures are making my decision easier. Wish I still lived in Saratoga (grew up there) so I could just stop by and see the tank in person.

Would you mind filling us in on your feeding habits? Do you feed the anemones individually or just feed the tank and let the clowns do the anemone feeding? Or do you rely on the light for the anemones?

Is this your 210 tank?

Keep up the good work!

-Scott

"Wondering If Anybody Gives A ...."
...for when your thread has 50 posts, and 48 of them are yours

Current Tank Info: No tank. Got out of the hobby in 2011 but I’ll be back one day!
scbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 02:48 PM   #56
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scbauer
Would you mind filling us in on your feeding habits? Do you feed the anemones individually or just feed the tank and let the clowns do the anemone feeding? Or do you rely on the light for the anemones?

Is this your 210 tank?

Keep up the good work!

-Scott
Thanks!

I've been lazy lately and the tank has only gotten Spectrum pellets from an Eheim feeder. When I am attentive, they get PE frozen mysis and cyclopeese squirts for everyone. The Goniopora definitely does better with feeding while the Roses just look smaller or bleached with little or no feeding. The BTAs have only been fed maybe once a week the last few months. This is my 210, please click on my little red house for more details.

Btw, best of luck with your new tank!

Last edited by mobert; 04/29/2008 at 03:01 PM.
Unread 04/29/2008, 06:24 PM   #57
iriejp1
Registered Member

How is it so clean??

Ok...I have a dumb question. I notice you have coralline algae all over your overflows but the glass on the back and on the side is spotless (the light blue sections). Are you just a master cleaner or are you using some sort of insert to cover the glass?

And if you are a master cleaner...how do you get down next to the rocks and nems so well? Is there a trick?

Current Tank Info: 210 Mixed Reef
iriejp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 06:36 PM   #58
mobert
Registered Member

Re: How is it so clean??

Quote:
Originally posted by iriejp1
Ok...I have a dumb question. I notice you have coralline algae all over your overflows but the glass on the back and on the side is spotless (the light blue sections). Are you just a master cleaner or are you using some sort of insert to cover the glass?

And if you are a master cleaner...how do you get down next to the rocks and nems so well? Is there a trick?
LOL I just use a Ken Pro Scraper
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...e~vendor~.html
glass tanks are a kabillion times easier to clean than acrylic. Plus coraline algae just doesn't seem to stick to glass nearly as fast as acrylic. So 15 minutes ever couple of weeks keeps it looking clean. Calcium levels are usually in the 400's even with calcium reactor off for the past year.

Unread 04/29/2008, 06:41 PM   #59
iriejp1
Registered Member

Ahhh...yes I am a new glass owner coming from an acrylic. I look forward to this ease you speak of!

Current Tank Info: 210 Mixed Reef
iriejp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 06:59 PM   #60
kris4647
Registered Member

I absolutely love that tank.

It's good to see someone breaking outta the SPS outcropping mode that everyone has been in the last 4-5 years.

Bravo!

kris4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 07:52 PM   #61
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kris4647
I absolutely love that tank.

It's good to see someone breaking outta the SPS outcropping mode that everyone has been in the last 4-5 years.

Bravo!

you mean this kind of outcropping?...

I do love the outcroppings too! I have a few on the left side of the tank but there isn't much room plus there is the occasional renegade BTA that escapes and plays havoc.

Last edited by mobert; 04/29/2008 at 08:30 PM.
Unread 04/29/2008, 08:10 PM   #62
Joe LoPresti
Registered Member

That tank is absolutely incredible!!! I love all the clowns, but even more, your nems are amazing!! I have an RBTA that split into four and they all kinda group together like that. It's really cool and looks like one giant anemone. Your tank has inspired me to consider a GBTA now. I love how they've mixed together in there!!
Again, just want to say "Awesome"!! Keep posting updated pics!!!!

Current Tank Info: 82 gallon custom-built reef tank, 29 gallon softie cube, 29 gallon anemone cube and a 40 gallon Tanganyikan cichlid tank!!!
Joe LoPresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 08:47 PM   #63
mobert
Registered Member

Thanks Joe!
Love the encouragement! Wishing you the best of luck finding a bright GBTA. It took me awhile to find a really bright one. Much harder than finding RBTAs.

Unread 05/02/2008, 06:22 AM   #64
chelskisw6
Registered Member

Wow, amazing tank!
What do you do when a nem goes for a walk? Do you just let it be, and let the corals suffer the consequences, or do you try and move it? or move the corals?

chelskisw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2008, 10:16 AM   #65
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chelskisw6
Wow, amazing tank!
What do you do when a nem goes for a walk? Do you just let it be, and let the corals suffer the consequences, or do you try and move it? or move the corals?
Any anemone on the wall gets a new home. I've only had one that just let go and floated to the other side. It eventually met a siphon hose. Lucky to have recovered in my BioCube 29. The return from the sump is aimed straight down near the center of the back wall. It has prevented anyone from crossing the great divide by foot.

Thanks for the interest.
Apologies to those who have already seen these pictures.

Last edited by mobert; 05/02/2008 at 10:43 AM.
Unread 05/02/2008, 11:58 AM   #66
Jan Helge
Premium Member

Very nice pictures

Jan Helge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2008, 11:33 PM   #67
mobert
Registered Member

Thanks, new BTA to add to the mix:

What do you think? It's in my Biocube for now.

Unread 05/08/2008, 01:48 AM   #68
scbauer
The Buff Reefer

Kind of hard to tell... is that another GBTA? You're starting to make me jealous with all those beautiful BTA's, and I don't think you need another one. You should probabaly just send that new one to me.

Again, LOVE your tank. Hoping mine will look anything like that in a few months.

-Scott

"Wondering If Anybody Gives A ...."
...for when your thread has 50 posts, and 48 of them are yours

Current Tank Info: No tank. Got out of the hobby in 2011 but I’ll be back one day!
scbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2008, 11:57 AM   #69
isseym328
Registered Member

I gotta say this thread just inspired me to keep a whole bunch of nems and clowns in my new 60g. I was originally going to just go with a blue or red carpet with a pair of clowns.

question if you dont' mind. How long did it take for your single rbta to split into all those other ones I see in your tank?

Current Tank Info: 270 gallon starphire
isseym328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2008, 12:22 PM   #70
mobert
Registered Member

Scott--It is a flourescent gold tipped BTA. Really striking under actinics. I just got it yesterday so it is still acclimating.

isseym328--Please proceed with caution. You must start with juvenile clowns. Size alone does not guarantee age. I started with a clutch that were born together and raised together. I don't know what the magic number is for clowns but anything under 7 is IMO dangerous. Three is certain death for one.

How long for a single to split into many? I'm not sure, but I remember the original was bigger than dinner plate size before splitting into 5 roses. I have so many now there are new clones every few weeks. The GBTA I got Jan 2006. I currently have 7 but have removed 4 or 5 in the last five months. This is with sporadic feeding. So one becomes at least 11 in 27 months. I don't know if any of the clones in their new homes have split.

Thank you all.

Last edited by mobert; 05/08/2008 at 12:30 PM.
Unread 05/08/2008, 02:16 PM   #71
kimsie
Registered Member

Mona - can you explain a little more about how you attempt to keep them to one side?

Unread 05/08/2008, 02:47 PM   #72
mobert
Registered Member

kimsie - thanks for the question.
See the tank return at the very top middle off center to the right just a little bit? It is aimed straight down with enough force that no BTA wants to cross the turbulence. Also, those are hammer corals in the center bottom that have very strong stings themselves.

Anemones tend to travel up towards the light. rarely do they travel down and across without first touching a rock across the other side. I have had two large anemones touch the front glass (near the bottom right) and climb up. The Tunze Stream in the upper left is aimed at the front glass discourages this route.
95% of the clones that are sold have climbed up the back wall. I have only had one rose that just let go and floated to the left side.
The top of the tank has a high density of smaller bubbly anemones whereas those on the bottom are much larger and stringier. I'm not sure what that means except you would think the larger animals would take the favored positions.
The original GBTA was located at the bottom right. The clones gradually traveled up but one is still in the original position.

Last edited by mobert; 05/08/2008 at 02:55 PM.
Unread 05/08/2008, 08:14 PM   #73
bleedingthought
Registered Member

Man, and I have a hard time keeping my SINGLE anemone from traveling in the new tank (also a 210g).

Unread 05/08/2008, 08:27 PM   #74
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
Man, and I have a hard time keeping my SINGLE anemone from traveling in the new tank (also a 210g).
You have to make a berm. An island by itself where the anemone can't touch the glass or another rock structure. That is the only way to contain them. My previous tank was a 240 with the high point under a 150 W HQI's. Since the clones couldn't reach the glass, they just expanded their territory and it was very difficult to remove clones.

Unread 05/08/2008, 08:33 PM   #75
Featherdusters
Registered Member

Wow, I could never get tired of looking at these pictures. Clown fish will always be one of my favorite saltwater fish so this is clown fish heaven to me

Featherdusters is offline   Reply With Quote