Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Winston27
Registered Member

Nano Reef Safe in Bedroom? More questions as well!

Hello guys! I am completely new to this forum, but I have read a lot from it. I have kept fresh water fish for a while, BUT I have an extra 10 gallon tank tight now and would like to attempt a nano reef. Sorry but I am a noob at saltwater and I have some concerns.

First off I would like to have it in my bedroom but ive seen things in the news about Zoanthids (or polytoxins?) and people getting super sick and the toxins being deadly and also the toxins coming out of the water?!! So I don't want Zoanthids but do other corals release those toxins and how do I make sure I don't get Zoanthids on my live rocks? OK so if I don't get Zoanthids will it be safe in my room. What are some corals that are super safe (mushroom corals?)

I think that's all for now but I know I have more questions and when I think of them I will add them. Thanks!

Winston27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Fish_wiz2
Mangroves are kool.

Don't let the media brainwash you. While palytoxin is real and very dangerous, you have to be extremely careless for it cause life-threatening conditions. The last media hysteria for I recall a Canadian family was because they boiled rocks that had a bunch of live corals on them and the toxin was probably carried into the air via steam, don't do that and don't do it inside in an enclosed area. I've come close to it myself and it did set me back but nothing worth taking me to the ER for, I was fragging a rock of paly's to sell.

Zoa's are relatively safe although they do contain palytoxins. It's the big and ugly paly's that carry a punch if they do release the toxin. Remember, they don't release it unless they have to which means you are putting them under stress and you are handling them. Always be aware of handling zoas/palys and try to use gloves and eye protection. I have had no issues handling zoa's and paly's for over 10 years now. Don't be scared but also don't be an idiot around them.

Most corals are safe, worse they can do is release a sticky protective slime. Next danger to palytoxin is anemone stings which I have gotten used to over the years.

To address your other question, a 10 gallon is fine in a bedroom. BUT, know that smaller volumes = greater instability which is NOT good for a beginner tank. I'm not saying it's impossible but it also won't be easy without the right tools and lots of patience. You have little room for error in a smaller tank. I have a 3 gallon pico sexy shrimp tank, and without an ATO and refractometer that tank would have crashed already.

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini Seahorse Tank, 2500 gallon Koi pond
Fish_wiz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 09:29 PM   #3
pco1988
Registered Member

When I started in saltwater, my tank was in my bedroom with soft corals including zoa's with no issues at all. As stated, just be careful while handling them and you should be fine. As also stated as well, a 10gal tank is not going to be easy to start with. It's possible and many have done it before.

Do lots of reading and ask lots of questions!

There are two types of people in this hobby:
"The ones who have had a tank crash, and the ones that are going to have a tank crash"

Current Tank Info: 11gal Nano Reef
pco1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Winston27
Registered Member

Thanks! Makes me feel better about starting one. I already have a lot of the equipment so with lots of patience and time I think it could be really cool. Already have a couple freshwater tanks and a 1200 gallon koi/goldfish pond so ready to start something new!

Unread 09/17/2018, 03:42 PM   #5
Winston27
Registered Member

Thanks, will do!

Unread 09/17/2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Fish_wiz2
Mangroves are kool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston27 View Post
Thanks! Makes me feel better about starting one. I already have a lot of the equipment so with lots of patience and time I think it could be really cool. Already have a couple freshwater tanks and a 1200 gallon koi/goldfish pond so ready to start something new!
Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help. But I'd rather be upfront about it then have you jump into deep water. The transition won't be hard just the equipment/tools will be slightly different.

Remember, reefs are 24/7 lol at least I don't worry about my koi in the winter here in the Midwest.

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini Seahorse Tank, 2500 gallon Koi pond
Fish_wiz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Winston27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_wiz2 View Post
Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help. But I'd rather be upfront about it then have you jump into deep water. The transition won't be hard just the equipment/tools will be slightly different.

Remember, reefs are 24/7 lol at least I don't worry about my koi in the winter here in the Midwest.
Thank you so much! Yeah up here in the cold I bring all my outdoor fish into a HUGE tank in the winter! Wish I could use that tank for big tropical fish but sadly it sits empty for most of the year!

Tags
reef