Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2012, 10:21 PM   #901
Chatouille
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuzzum View Post
DF02M, DF04M.. both will work fine. As long as the Arduino doesn't need more than 1.5A that is...
I was guessing that since the recommended power supply for the typhon was a 12vdc 1a, I should be fine. Just curious if a 100uf cap will be adequate to filter the ripple if an AC supply is used. Any thoughts?

Chatouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 10:24 AM   #902
Spuzzum
Registered Member

Grabbed this in one of the many schematics still taking up space on my drive......

This circuit requires 5v as well, so "should" work fine for the Typhon.

cheers.............

Spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2012, 09:56 AM   #903
Spuzzum
Registered Member

I'm wanting to add a fan PWM function to the script, so instead of just on/off according to the temperature, it speeds up/slows down as needed instead.

Was hoping someone can point me to an example script.

Thanks...

Unread 01/19/2012, 07:19 PM   #904
Step Johns
Registered Member

Alright so i read through this entire thread and must say that i am a bit lost. I am wanting to build this controller, but was unable to open the hardware list due to not having excel. And also the typhon board i cant seem to find for sale anywhere anymore? The few places i have seen it says that it is discontinued. So i my question is could i use the arduino pro to make this and just make slight modifications to the coding and it still work? If anyone can help me with this i would be very greatful

Step Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2012, 08:52 PM   #905
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Johns View Post
Alright so i read through this entire thread and must say that i am a bit lost. I am wanting to build this controller, but was unable to open the hardware list due to not having excel. And also the typhon board i cant seem to find for sale anywhere anymore? The few places i have seen it says that it is discontinued. So i my question is could i use the arduino pro to make this and just make slight modifications to the coding and it still work? If anyone can help me with this i would be very greatful
ok, so I'v only been sort of following this tread but this site is sitll selling the typon controller, but it is already assembled and programed.......

http://www.boostled.com/products/typ...product-search

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2012, 09:03 PM   #906
Step Johns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
ok, so I'v only been sort of following this tread but this site is sitll selling the typon controller, but it is already assembled and programed.......

http://www.boostled.com/products/typ...product-search

I believe i would have to upgrade my led drivers since i currently have the maxwellen MW-S0361203A, and it does not seem to be supported

Step Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2012, 09:31 PM   #907
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Johns View Post
I believe i would have to upgrade my led drivers since i currently have the maxwellen MW-S0361203A, and it does not seem to be supported
Aw, check this thread,http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082235
there's been no finite conclusins but some DIY solutions have been sugessted for contrulling these drivers using other controllers and digital potientiomiters, this part is beyond me as I'm just getting int the programming discussions and what not but it seems like it might not be dificult to integrate the maxwellens into an exising controller setup.......

I'd love to see some plans as I own a few of the maxwellen drivers myself.

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2012, 12:06 PM   #908
Chatouille
Registered Member

Spuzzum-

lol.... I'm 99% sure I know where that schem came from. I built that board with a 1.8432Mhz TTL oscillator quite a few years ago. Was a fun project to hand etch out the boards....Tucker made quite a few usefull projects.

Unread 01/20/2012, 12:26 PM   #909
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatouille View Post
Spuzzum-

lol.... I'm 99% sure I know where that schem came from. I built that board with a 1.8432Mhz TTL oscillator quite a few years ago. Was a fun project to hand etch out the boards....Tucker made quite a few usefull projects.
Chatouille,

Totally off topic and I apologize to the OP but I must say I really, really, really, love your sig.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2012, 12:41 PM   #910
Chatouille
Registered Member

I wish I could take credit for it, but it was plagiarized from somewhere else. Seems pretty relevant with what's been going on, and hits a note with people, no matter where you're from.

Unread 01/20/2012, 09:26 PM   #911
saltydogaqua
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuzzum View Post
I'm wanting to add a fan PWM function to the script, so instead of just on/off according to the temperature, it speeds up/slows down as needed instead.

Was hoping someone can point me to an example script.

Thanks...

Code:
#include "OneWire.h"
#include "DallasTemperature.h"
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS 0 //Define the pin of the DS18B20

int fanPWMpin = 0;    //Define the pin of the Fan
const int HtempMin = 97.0;    //Define temp when heatsink fan starts
const int HtempMax = 100.0;   //Define temp when heatsink fan is 100%

// Setup a oneWire instance to communicate with any OneWire devices (not just Maxim/Dallas temperature ICs)
OneWire oneWire(ONE_WIRE_BUS);

// Pass our oneWire reference to Dallas Temperature. 
DallasTemperature sensors(&oneWire);

void checkTemp()
{ 
sensors.requestTemperatures(); // Send the command to get temperatures
delay(250);

float temp1=0, temp2=0;

//lcd.setCursor(2, 1);
  //lcd.print("Tank Temp: ");
  temp1= sensors.getTempFByIndex(0);
  //lcd.print(sensors.getTempFByIndex(0)); 
  //lcd.print((char)223);
  //lcd.print("F");

//lcd.setCursor(13, 1);
  //lcd.print("Led Temp:");
  temp2= sensors.getTempFByIndex(1);
  //lcd.print(sensors.getTempFByIndex(1)); 
  //lcd.print((char)223);
  //lcd.print("F");

if (temp1<0) temp1=0;                      //if sensor not connected reading is -127 deg
  else if (temp1>99) temp1=99;
 if (temp2<0) temp2=0;
  else if (temp2>99) temp2=99; 

int tempval = int(temp2*10);
  int fanSpeed = map(tempval, (HtempMin*10), (HtempMax*10), 0, 255);       //---------heatsink fan control
  if (fanSpeed<=0) 
     fanSpeed = 0;
  if (fanSpeed>255)
     fanSpeed=255;

analogWrite(fanPWMpin, fanSpeed);
 // Serial.println(fanSpeed);
}

void setup() {

sensors.begin();              // Start up the DS18B20 Temp library
  pinMode(fanPWMpin, OUTPUT);

}

void loop()
{

checkTemp();

}

saltydogaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2012, 10:30 AM   #912
Spuzzum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatouille View Post
Spuzzum-

pm sent...........

Unread 01/22/2012, 10:34 AM   #913
Spuzzum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydogaqua View Post
Code:
#include "OneWire.h"
#include "DallasTemperature.h"
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS 0 //Define the pin of the DS18B20

int fanPWMpin = 0;    //Define the pin of the Fan
const int HtempMin = 97.0;    //Define temp when heatsink fan starts
const int HtempMax = 100.0;   //Define temp when heatsink fan is 100%

// Setup a oneWire instance to communicate with any OneWire devices (not just Maxim/Dallas temperature ICs)
OneWire oneWire(ONE_WIRE_BUS);

// Pass our oneWire reference to Dallas Temperature. 
DallasTemperature sensors(&oneWire);

void checkTemp()
{ 
sensors.requestTemperatures(); // Send the command to get temperatures
delay(250);

float temp1=0, temp2=0;

//lcd.setCursor(2, 1);
  //lcd.print("Tank Temp: ");
  temp1= sensors.getTempFByIndex(0);
  //lcd.print(sensors.getTempFByIndex(0)); 
  //lcd.print((char)223);
  //lcd.print("F");

//lcd.setCursor(13, 1);
  //lcd.print("Led Temp:");
  temp2= sensors.getTempFByIndex(1);
  //lcd.print(sensors.getTempFByIndex(1)); 
  //lcd.print((char)223);
  //lcd.print("F");

if (temp1<0) temp1=0;                      //if sensor not connected reading is -127 deg
  else if (temp1>99) temp1=99;
 if (temp2<0) temp2=0;
  else if (temp2>99) temp2=99; 

int tempval = int(temp2*10);
  int fanSpeed = map(tempval, (HtempMin*10), (HtempMax*10), 0, 255);       //---------heatsink fan control
  if (fanSpeed<=0) 
     fanSpeed = 0;
  if (fanSpeed>255)
     fanSpeed=255;

analogWrite(fanPWMpin, fanSpeed);
 // Serial.println(fanSpeed);
}

void setup() {

sensors.begin();              // Start up the DS18B20 Temp library
  pinMode(fanPWMpin, OUTPUT);

}

void loop()
{

checkTemp();

}

Thank you so very much!!

Greatly appreciated bud!

Unread 01/24/2012, 06:55 AM   #914
Megablue
Registered Member

A lot of Fan cannot start spinning at pwm value<40% of nominal voltage, and somes need full speed before you can adjust the pwm value.
Look the class in temperature.cpp function setRelayPWM

Megablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 10:52 AM   #915
Spuzzum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megablue View Post
A lot of Fan cannot start spinning at pwm value<40% of nominal voltage, and somes need full speed before you can adjust the pwm value.
Look the class in temperature.cpp function setRelayPWM
That's a good point. While some pc fans can be set for 12v, 7v, or 5v, there's some fans out there that can only drop to 7v.. 5v won't spin.

Out of curiosity though, are you guys using 2-wire fans with a transistor controlled by the arduino, or are you using 3-wire PWM fans, controlled directly by the arduino?

Or are they just the same?

Unread 01/24/2012, 11:21 AM   #916
Megablue
Registered Member

2 or 3 wire (3= rpm) with a NPN power transistor. I tried 4 wire (pwm control) directly but not for this project, it's easier for me to found old pc/ power supply fans.

Unread 01/24/2012, 04:56 PM   #917
Baghyyy
Registered Member

hello...
I have redesigned this board for input pin A3 for temperature sensor and output to pin digital for relay to fan
I followed the design of megablue but fail to modify the sketch to run the 4 buttons at the wire on pin A0
someone can help create the sketch to operate the 4 buttons at the wire?
[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/i4k4s1.png[/IMG]

Baghyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 05:24 PM   #918
Megablue
Registered Member

You can use the buttons class.
If you changed the resistor value, you have to calc the value for each buttons (or easier make a sketch to read analog values & print it on serial ). you can use two button or more at the same time.

Unread 01/25/2012, 07:20 AM   #919
reefnewbie83177
Registered Member

Hey all,
quick question for you. I have a 48 LED setup with 4 drivers each controlling 12 LEDS. I have 24 blues and 24 white. I am planning on using the wiring diagram from the beginning of this thread along with the code. My question is, can I wire the dimming wires together so that I only use two pwm signals? Or do I need to have 4 PWM signals if running 4 drivers. Attached is an image of what I would like to do.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (46.0 KB, 55 views)
reefnewbie83177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 07:28 AM   #920
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Yes, you absolutely can do that. Each channel on the Typhon can handle several ELN drivers.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 07:53 AM   #921
reefnewbie83177
Registered Member

OK, So in the earlier thread you had said that you have to be careful if the frequencies were too close. I didn't quite understand that. So am I to understand that my diagram should work? It the negatives will be going to a breadboard where I have 2 2N2222A transistors and 2 1k resistors. ONe for each color. They will then wire to two arduino PWM pins. Does this sound right?

reefnewbie83177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 09:03 AM   #922
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Frequencies only really matter if you were trying to "mix" the arduino-based controller with that other PWM controller. If you are ONLY going to use the arduino-based controller (either your own design or the Typhon) it is no longer an issue.

Your description of that breadboard circuit is more or less correct, an Arduino output pin connects to a resistor that connects to the base pin on the npn transistor. The collector of the transistor connects to the "-" wire from the driver's dimming circuit, and the emitter of the transistor connects to ground. Then you need a 10v supply, with the positive connected to the "+" wire from the driver's dimming circuit, and the ground tied to the Arduino's ground. The lucky thing with using a Typhon is that this is all built right in to the mainboard so all you need to do is give it power and wire it to the drivers.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2012, 07:00 AM   #923
el aguila
Registered Member

Some of us are total nobs when it comes to electronics. I have at least made a couple of LED fixtures.

Anyway it has been asked previously in this thread about a housing to cover the Typhoon with a view window and buttons. From a Nob's perspective I do not know that the question has been adequately answered.

DWZM did reply about using a plastic electrical box and I understand that, but on the button issue I'm still in the dark.

I"m not real good at looking up electronic components on Digikey because I don't understand exactly what I need from a voltage/amperage perspective to substitute for the exisiting buttons or where to look for button extensions which DWZM used.

I know that I'm not the only one on RC that would benefit from this request. Could someone be kind enough to supply a link to buttons that could be used for this, plus a basic level instruction on how to hook them up? I for one would deeply appreciate this. Thanks!

el aguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2012, 06:58 PM   #924
2Quills
Registered Member

Great thread guys. Haven't had time to read the whole thing yet but I got a quick question.

A friend of mine got a typhon from another hobbiest. The previous owner had uploaded a sketch to reverse the modulated signal on the controller. I don't think he used it very long before purchasing a new one and sending his old one to my friend. My friend is telling me that the timer keeps freezing up. It runs, then stops, then runs again...etc. After about an hour the timer ends up several minutes behind.

Could this be an issue from the new sketch or is the timer going bad?

2Quills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2012, 09:32 PM   #925
saltydogaqua
Registered Member.

Hey all,

Am starting on an Open Source Android App for use with the Typhon and was wondering if anyone is really good at using Eclipse and willing to help me on this....on completion it'll be free on the app market for those of us using the Typhon and would like to use their Android with it....just a thought.

saltydogaqua is offline   Reply With Quote