Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Tweakes182
Registered Member

Portland Aquarium is Closing heard they are selling off livestock

I live about 8 hours away but I was interested in driving up to see what all was left. I was curious if anyone closer had bought anything. Or new more about what was going on.

I called and they said what dosent sell will be shipped to other aquariums. But they said they would rather not ship anything.

Tweakes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 03:50 PM   #2
TheJay
Registered Member

yeah, but considering the history of the Portland Aquarium if you bought anything from them the feds would be all over you with a warrent as you pulled out to see if what you had was legal or not

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano
TheJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 04:03 PM   #3
ReefInterest
Registered Member

I picked up a basking shark and some sea turtles from them the other day. The wife wasn't happy, but that comes with the reef keeping territory.

ReefInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Tweakes182
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJay View Post
yeah, but considering the history of the Portland Aquarium if you bought anything from them the feds would be all over you with a warrent as you pulled out to see if what you had was legal or not
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefInterest View Post
I picked up a basking shark and some sea turtles from them the other day. The wife wasn't happy, but that comes with the reef keeping territory.

I am interested in normal reef fish medium size tangs. No Sharks or Rays or exotic. Yes I am familiar with there past history and issues with treatment of livestock. But anyone that is an advocate for the livestock this would be your chance to give those fish a better home.

Unread 02/12/2016, 04:38 PM   #5
ReefInterest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakes182 View Post
I am interested in normal reef fish medium size tangs. No Sharks or Rays or exotic. Yes I am familiar with there past history and issues with treatment of livestock. But anyone that is an advocate for the livestock this would be your chance to give those fish a better home.
I looked up an article about this that said the stock would be rehomed at other aquariums.

However, if I were in the area, I would definitely check it out (maybe call first).

ReefInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Tweakes182
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefInterest View Post
I looked up an article about this that said the stock would be rehomed at other aquariums.

However, if I were in the area, I would definitely check it out (maybe call first).
Yes I called and talked to them directly on the phone. IF they are not sold. They would prefer to sell them. They would then be shipped to another Aquarium either in Texas or Wisconsion I think. The owners I guess either own or have a stake in multiple aquarium.

Bottom line they said they are all for sale to anyone local. Just curious if anyone has been by or bought anything. There is not a RC Portland club. There is a club but no one has answered me on there site.