Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2012, 08:58 PM   #251
SushiGirl
Premium Member

My guess would be that they're acropora crabs. Keep an eye on the health of your acros to determine if you think you need to get them out or not.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2012, 03:00 AM   #252
Seagull_3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiGirl View Post
My guess would be that they're acropora crabs. Keep an eye on the health of your acros to determine if you think you need to get them out or not.
Thanks Sushi I've tried to take a shot, although it's hard to see clearly as they won't come out of the coral. I can see at least two in there, both exactly the same. Guess I'll have to leave them in for now by the sound of it. Can't seem to find a definitive opinion on whether they're good or bad... I imagine that unless the start eating any of my other corals or get big enough to hassle my fish, there's probably no problem right?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (84.1 KB, 429 views)
Seagull_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2012, 07:35 AM   #253
cheezischrist
Registered Member

any ideas on this little guy? he was 1/4 inch sunday, now almost a dime. lives in a small cave in just the one rock. i removed him from that rock after this pic last night, to a rock pile on the other side of the tank, and this morning he has returned to his rock . doesn't seem to have a preferance for night or day either. sorry for the blurry pic, my phones camera isn't the best. thank you

cheezischrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2012, 08:32 AM   #254
Mike_Noren
Registered Member

That's one of the numerous species of small starfishes which routinely get identified just as "Asterina" - and it may well be an Asterina, it does look the part. It's not the standard, gray, asexually reproducing half-inch and almost certainly undescribed Asterina found in nearly every reef tank and usually identified as Asterina anomala, it's some other species, and the unusual pigmentation might mean that someone who's good at starfish may be able to identify it to species... But I can't.

I can tell you that it probably does not reproduce by fission (because it's symmetrical, unlike the small standard species), so you probably will never get very many of it, but while most Asterina eat biofilm and algae some do eat coral, so you might want to keep an eye on it.

Current Tank Info: Experimenting with peroxide and vinegar
Mike_Noren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2012, 08:56 AM   #255
cheezischrist
Registered Member

thank you, keeping an eye on him will be simple for now, the small rock he stubbornly lives on is right up front by itself, and being one of the only visable lifeforms in my tank currently, my girlfriend stares at that rock for ages waitin for him to come out of his cave and make passes around the rock. he doesnt move very fast either. hoping he gets bigger so i can more easily identify him, and stays his coloration, and also turns out to be keepable lol. that photo isnt the best but hes kind of a real pretty green, with orange tips and small dots. i probably wont even begin to start to add coral for at least 6 months, probably more, as well, im still planning on collecting another 20 or more lbs of lr over the next month from all over the place. thanks again

Unread 02/01/2012, 02:57 PM   #256
cheezischrist
Registered Member

how bout this little yellow guy?

Unread 02/01/2012, 04:36 PM   #257
Pete H.
Registered Member

looks like a yellow polyp - Zoanthid coral. (At least to the untrained saltwater hobbyist eye)

Pete H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2012, 04:49 PM   #258
cheezischrist
Registered Member

ha thank you. id like to see the little guy spread and make it through the rest of the cycle, wich test results say is done, but i dont trust it cus its only been a week lol, and im adding a ton more rock this weekend, wich will probably crash the system all over again. ha fingers crossed

Unread 02/01/2012, 06:59 PM   #259
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull_3 View Post
Thanks Sushi I've tried to take a shot, although it's hard to see clearly as they won't come out of the coral. I can see at least two in there, both exactly the same. Guess I'll have to leave them in for now by the sound of it. Can't seem to find a definitive opinion on whether they're good or bad... I imagine that unless the start eating any of my other corals or get big enough to hassle my fish, there's probably no problem right?
About the only thing you can do is google acropora or acro crabs and see if any look like yours.

Unread 02/02/2012, 07:11 PM   #260
mmmm4life
Registered Member

New guy needs answers

Hey all new to the coral tank world for myself. Brother has been doing it for years and has it down but I have a question for anyone able to answer. I have only had my tank up and going for about a month or so, and have extremely well cured live rock that was intrduced to my tank but have what seems to me green coralline algea growth but its very rapidly growing along with the purple. I just want to know if there is a possible bad green item that this could be. I have been useing B-Ionic chem. daily and have heard that this stuff may make the coralline algea growth be this rapid. Any input is good input. Thanks

mmmm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2012, 07:25 PM   #261
SushiGirl
Premium Member

A pic would help, but it could be coralline.

Unread 02/02/2012, 07:47 PM   #262
mmmm4life
Registered Member

not sure how to do so yet

Unread 02/02/2012, 09:06 PM   #263
mmmm4life
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/pi...ictureid=39416

Unread 02/04/2012, 03:16 PM   #264
JDK
Registered Member

Is this a vermatid? Maybe a hydroid? No clue. Look at bottom left of frag plug:

[IMG]http://i44.*******.com/263ihpz.jpg[/IMG]

Unread 02/04/2012, 03:58 PM   #265
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Looks like a couple of vermetids, JDK.
mmmm4life, really hard to tell from that far away.

Unread 02/06/2012, 01:59 PM   #266
J2T
Registered Member

Ok, just saw a few of these guys today, this being the largest. Couldn't get a decent pic but a video seems to show them well. They don't appear to eat at the zoa's but seem to sort of search over the rock...but if they are going to be a problem down the road I want to figure out how to get rid of them. They move pretty quick and their movements are more millipede like than centipede if that makes any sense. Thanks

http://youtu.be/1xHUfUzP0Z8

60 Gallon cube, 10g sump, 2 AI Sol Blue, SeaSide Aquatic CS3.5 Skimmer
J2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 03:35 PM   #267
JustinFromAL
Registered Member

Not the best video to tell, but it looks like a Bristleworm. There's definitely some kind of unusual marking on it's back though. Check out google images for "Fireworms" and if it doesn't look like one of those it's probably some kind of Bristleworm variant.

JustinFromAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 03:44 PM   #268
J2T
Registered Member

I have bristleworms and have seen pics of fireworms and they honestly look nothing like this guy. He has no bristles that I can see, just legs. Sort of has white spots up his back and a thicker white band before his head. Looks to also have three faint stripes right before the white band.

60 Gallon cube, 10g sump, 2 AI Sol Blue, SeaSide Aquatic CS3.5 Skimmer
J2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 07:00 PM   #269
Mr. Demeanor
Registered Member

Just found these hitchhikers. Two red crabs and one spikey crab. The red ones have tiny pinchers but the spikey one has one larger pincher and although he is small now....

I trapped all three in my shot glass / mysis cube crab trap. Mrs. Deamenor wants them to go back in the tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0981.jpg (29.8 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0986.jpg (41.4 KB, 601 views)
Mr. Demeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 07:06 PM   #270
JustinFromAL
Registered Member

@JT - Weird, some kind of ribbon worm maybe?

Last edited by JustinFromAL; 02/06/2012 at 07:13 PM.
JustinFromAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 07:13 PM   #271
Mr. Demeanor
Registered Member

I had a fish only fake decoration tank and inherited some rock with some intersting things. The entire tank is going to be replaced with a new 125 so I just have everything in their now. Its built into the wall and its a project I really have to plan out.
Here are the more "intersting rocks" with lots of "stuff". It is my understanding that this rock was quarried and wild seeded in the Gulf.
The orange fluffy stuff I think is a sponge. some of them came off and very quickly attached themselves where they landed on base rock though.

I have several of the Christmas tree worms in the second pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0994 (Large).jpg (93.3 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0996 (Large).jpg (60.8 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0995 (Large).jpg (93.5 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0997 (Large).jpg (83.5 KB, 455 views)
Unread 02/06/2012, 07:51 PM   #272
SushiGirl
Premium Member

J2T, it looks like a bristleworm epitoke, but take a look here and see if you can spot it. Also google epitoke and see if that's it. Most people see those on the glass or swimming crazily in their tank.

Mr. Demeanor, not sure on the crab IDs, you can look here, but crabs are pretty hard to ID sometimes. Typically pointed claws mean they're predators and are more likely to do damage to things you don't want them to damage. More flattened or spoon-like claws (like emerald crabs) will graze on algae as well as other stuff. All are opportunistic, though, and if hungry will eat whatever they can. I keep my crabs well-fed.

The orange fluffy stuff I'm not sure about, but the 3rd pic is definitely sponge.

Unread 02/06/2012, 08:09 PM   #273
Mr. Demeanor
Registered Member

Thanks. I think I ma going to leave them for now as I am completely breaking this down and rebuilding soon.

Unread 02/06/2012, 08:24 PM   #274
sirbazz
Registered Member

Curing some live rock in the new tank and have a couple of these that are currently helping to clean up the glass.

They're about 7mm or 8mm in length and wondering what they are and if they should be removed.

Thanks in advance.

sirbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 08:38 PM   #275
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Can you get a pic of the top?