Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2010, 08:02 AM   #2651
Syrsa2C
Registered Member

Hi there, my name is Sandra and my husband and I set up a 46gal salt water tank two weeks ago... we don't know much about salt water aquariums so are hoping to learn and pick up some tips in the forum. One of the clown fish we put in has developed what looks like cotton threads all over its body. Anyone know what this is?

Syrsa2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 08:05 AM   #2652
James404
I <3 Acros

Hi all my name is James, I am new to reefing but have kept freshwater tanks pretty much my whole life. I currently have a 80g tank that is just starting to cycle.

James404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 08:15 AM   #2653
papa_dog
Registered Member

Howdi

Thought I would finally introduce myself as I have been lurking around here for a couple of months trying to soak up info and knowledge.

Just got sucked into this hobby and set up my first Marine Tank 3 months ago. I was going to set up another fresh water tank (have kept freshwater tanks on and off since I was in grade school) and then went down to the Caribbean for the first time and went snorkelling where I saw a couple of reefs in person for the first time - WOW!!! After that, the plan changed and I decided to finally set up a salt water tank, like I've been wanting to do since I was a teenager.

Anyway, I found a used 90 gallon FOWLER on Kijiji with 100 lbs of rock, running an Eheim 2028 canister filter and a Super Skimmer with 3 O. Clowns, 2 Green Chromis and a Dragonet (plus various clean-up crew) and have been slowly converting it to a reef tank. I traded the Dragonet in at my LFS as I couldn't believe it was still alive without a Pod source (it was apparently the same size as when the original owner got him almost 1 year before - apparently just hanging on...) Also traded in the Green Chromis as they were quite big.

Fast forward 3 months, now I have about 180 lbs of live rock, a 65 g basement sump which includes a 38 g Refugium with a 6"-8" DSB and a Blueline 55 pump. (I might start a thread on the DIY forum for my sump as I combined a few different designs and learned quite a bit while doing it -including how I would tweak the design if I were to do it again). Tank now has the 3 O. Clowns, plus a small Fox Face, 2 Fire Darts and a Wheeler Goby, a pair of Tiger Pistols (haven't paired up with the goby yet), 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 Blood Shrimp and 3 lazy Peppermints, plus about 50 various CUC.

Anyway, other hobbies include woodworking, Poker, classic cars and playing with our 3 dogs (Bearded Collies).

Cheers,
Papa_Dog

papa_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 01:24 PM   #2654
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker16 View Post
Hello my name is Alexander. I am going to college living at home. I have a 24 nano cube which is fish only. I recently bought a 300g tank which I want to make a reef tank (SPS mostly) with your help I love to play soccer. Hang with my girl and enjoy my hobby of fish keeping!

To Reef Central
I wish I had a 300 gallon SPS tank. please be sure to take lots of pictures and post your progress.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 01:24 PM   #2655
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite17 View Post
Hello everyone,

Im from Malaysia and currently have a 7 x 3 x 2.5 feet tank. Been a marine tank hobbyist since 2004, but been keeping fresh water since 1984!

Hope to learn as much as I can here!

To Reef Central
Sounds like you have some experience. Glad to have you with us.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/24/2010, 01:28 PM   #2656
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitmi View Post
I am from India and I am here to learn and share my experience. I have a 8 months old 30 gallon FOWLR Tank.

See U Inside.

I am Dosing Vodka .

Plz accept me as your friend.

To Reef Central

Nice to see another vodka doser. I think it's the greatest nutrient controller out there.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/24/2010, 01:31 PM   #2657
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrsa2C View Post
Hi there, my name is Sandra and my husband and I set up a 46gal salt water tank two weeks ago... we don't know much about salt water aquariums so are hoping to learn and pick up some tips in the forum. One of the clown fish we put in has developed what looks like cotton threads all over its body. Anyone know what this is?

To Reef Central
It sounds like you're getting ahead of yourself. You should be in the middle of your cycle, and not have any fish in the tank yet.

I suggest reading this

Good luck.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/24/2010, 01:31 PM   #2658
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
Hi all my name is James, I am new to reefing but have kept freshwater tanks pretty much my whole life. I currently have a 80g tank that is just starting to cycle.

To Reef Central
James, glad to have you with us.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/24/2010, 01:35 PM   #2659
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_dog View Post
Thought I would finally introduce myself as I have been lurking around here for a couple of months trying to soak up info and knowledge.

Just got sucked into this hobby and set up my first Marine Tank 3 months ago. I was going to set up another fresh water tank (have kept freshwater tanks on and off since I was in grade school) and then went down to the Caribbean for the first time and went snorkelling where I saw a couple of reefs in person for the first time - WOW!!! After that, the plan changed and I decided to finally set up a salt water tank, like I've been wanting to do since I was a teenager.

Anyway, I found a used 90 gallon FOWLER on Kijiji with 100 lbs of rock, running an Eheim 2028 canister filter and a Super Skimmer with 3 O. Clowns, 2 Green Chromis and a Dragonet (plus various clean-up crew) and have been slowly converting it to a reef tank. I traded the Dragonet in at my LFS as I couldn't believe it was still alive without a Pod source (it was apparently the same size as when the original owner got him almost 1 year before - apparently just hanging on...) Also traded in the Green Chromis as they were quite big.

Fast forward 3 months, now I have about 180 lbs of live rock, a 65 g basement sump which includes a 38 g Refugium with a 6"-8" DSB and a Blueline 55 pump. (I might start a thread on the DIY forum for my sump as I combined a few different designs and learned quite a bit while doing it -including how I would tweak the design if I were to do it again). Tank now has the 3 O. Clowns, plus a small Fox Face, 2 Fire Darts and a Wheeler Goby, a pair of Tiger Pistols (haven't paired up with the goby yet), 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 Blood Shrimp and 3 lazy Peppermints, plus about 50 various CUC.

Anyway, other hobbies include woodworking, Poker, classic cars and playing with our 3 dogs (Bearded Collies).

Cheers,
Papa_Dog

To Reef Central

Nice to have a fellow woodworker on the site. That's awesome that you have had a chance to see the coral reefs in their natural habitat.

Sounds like you're off to a good start, Keep it up and I'll be looking for your DIY thread.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/24/2010, 06:18 PM   #2660
dread240
Registered Member

Name's Jeff, and I'm a newbie reefer. Learned mostly everything I know from melev's site, and putting together a 29 gallon all glass reef setup. Right now it's just softies and LPS, but hoping to keep some SPS once I get a few more pieces of equipment to keep the tank stable

dread240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 07:27 PM   #2661
Blawman
Registered Member

I am so new that I am a pre-newb

Hello. my name is Brett and I have been reading, reading, and reading about saltwater aquariums and think that I am ready to take the plunge. I have been talking with some people here already and they have been fantastic.

Blawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 09:14 PM   #2662
Ibixable
Registered Member

Talking Newbe here

Well I am here and am looking to get into the hobby. I have some questions but I am not sure if this is the place or not but here goes. I found some one selling a nano tank that is complete with everything. Is it a good idea to start with somthing like this or start from scratch with a tank. If this is a good deal then how would I move it to my house?

Thanks for any help

Ibixable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 06:20 AM   #2663
Remo2v56
Registered Member

Hello every one. My name is James and I am married with one 3 year old boy. I have had fresh water tanks since I was small boy and now I would like to start a salt water tank. I would like to start small (20 gal maybe) and place a tank in my office. I work as a Domestic Violence Detective in a building where children are brought in on a daily basis. So a Nemo might be a good ice breaker. I found this site through Google. I like the flow of the site and look forward to hear all the advice I will be asking for.

Remo2v56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 07:26 AM   #2664
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread240 View Post
Name's Jeff, and I'm a newbie reefer. Learned mostly everything I know from melev's site, and putting together a 29 gallon all glass reef setup. Right now it's just softies and LPS, but hoping to keep some SPS once I get a few more pieces of equipment to keep the tank stable

To Reef Central
I believe I owe a lot of my success to melev as well.great to have you with us. be sure to post some pics of your tank in the new to the hobby forum.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/25/2010, 07:28 AM   #2665
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blawman View Post
Hello. my name is Brett and I have been reading, reading, and reading about saltwater aquariums and think that I am ready to take the plunge. I have been talking with some people here already and they have been fantastic.

To Reef Central
glad to read that you have had a positive experience. I'm sure you'll grow to love this online community.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/25/2010, 11:56 AM   #2666
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibixable View Post
Well I am here and am looking to get into the hobby. I have some questions but I am not sure if this is the place or not but here goes. I found some one selling a nano tank that is complete with everything. Is it a good idea to start with somthing like this or start from scratch with a tank. If this is a good deal then how would I move it to my house?

Thanks for any help

To Reef Central
That all comes down to preference, if it's a complete system and it's running properly, I don't see why you would want to change it. as far as getting it to your place, just remove the rock, fish, and water (save it all in containers) and transport it to your house (trying to minimize the amount of time everything is out of the tank) set it all back up and turn it on. If the person has a deep sand bed, then you're going to want to remove all the sand and start with new sand. By moving it you're going to disrupt the anoxic zone and poison your tank. Make sure you ask the seller how deep the sand is. if it's over 4" then it would be wise to start over with the sand.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/25/2010, 11:58 AM   #2667
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo2v56 View Post
Hello every one. My name is James and I am married with one 3 year old boy. I have had fresh water tanks since I was small boy and now I would like to start a salt water tank. I would like to start small (20 gal maybe) and place a tank in my office. I work as a Domestic Violence Detective in a building where children are brought in on a daily basis. So a Nemo might be a good ice breaker. I found this site through Google. I like the flow of the site and look forward to hear all the advice I will be asking for.

To Reef Central
that will be a great idea to have for an icebreaker. Make sure you read this to get started off on the right foot.

Good Luck

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/25/2010, 02:49 PM   #2668
Varkalis22
Registered Member

Hello all!!! I am an Air Force Recruiter in Albuquerque NM. Just moved here from Littlerock, Arkansas. I have been in the AF for 7 years and have another 13 to go. I have been in reefing for about 3 years. With a nice brake in between because my wife and I deployed. I had a 29g that was set up about 1 ½ years. Had to tear it down because the deployment and the move to ABQ. I have now set the tank up and it has been set up for about 2 weeks. I have close to 60lbs of rock in the tank as we speak. The live rock was from a 7 year established tank, so the tank didn’t have a cycle. The reason I have so much rock is because I happened to meet a really nice guy in Colorado while visiting my parents. He gave me a deal I couldn’t pass up. I paid 60$ for it. I plan on taking about 15lbs out for when I start my 10g. I also have a 3g Pico reef at my office. Thought I would introduce myself and say that I am glad I have come across RC.

Varkalis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 02:52 PM   #2669
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkalis22 View Post
Hello all!!! I am an Air Force Recruiter in Albuquerque NM. Just moved here from Littlerock, Arkansas. I have been in the AF for 7 years and have another 13 to go. I have been in reefing for about 3 years. With a nice brake in between because my wife and I deployed. I had a 29g that was set up about 1 ½ years. Had to tear it down because the deployment and the move to ABQ. I have now set the tank up and it has been set up for about 2 weeks. I have close to 60lbs of rock in the tank as we speak. The live rock was from a 7 year established tank, so the tank didn’t have a cycle. The reason I have so much rock is because I happened to meet a really nice guy in Colorado while visiting my parents. He gave me a deal I couldn’t pass up. I paid 60$ for it. I plan on taking about 15lbs out for when I start my 10g. I also have a 3g Pico reef at my office. Thought I would introduce myself and say that I am glad I have come across RC.
great deal on the live rock
You will soon find out that there are a lot of service people on this site

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 03:11 PM   #2670
Varkalis22
Registered Member

Thank you. I Also have 2 boys who are 3 and 4 years old. Both of them are just as excited about Reefs as i am. My wife is starting to warm up to it. She loves the way they look, but not how much they cost. I love to DIY, and i wll try to make what i can to cut down on costs and just have fun with it. My next project is the stand and sump. I have been digging around the site and found all the ideas i like, and skethched out my plans. RC is amazing when it comes to information and ideas.

Unread 05/25/2010, 04:05 PM   #2671
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkalis22 View Post
Thank you. I Also have 2 boys who are 3 and 4 years old. Both of them are just as excited about Reefs as i am. My wife is starting to warm up to it. She loves the way they look, but not how much they cost. I love to DIY, and i wll try to make what i can to cut down on costs and just have fun with it. My next project is the stand and sump. I have been digging around the site and found all the ideas i like, and skethched out my plans. RC is amazing when it comes to information and ideas.
As a fellow USAF I need to say, "Welcome" as well. Recruiter huh? Taking a break from deploying? I don't blame you.
Good luck with recruiting, they say, "either you have it or you don't" hopefully you're one that has it.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/26/2010, 08:22 PM   #2672
tiredreefer
Registered Member

Newbie here

Hey all I thought the name Tiredreefer would be suiting since I have twin girls and a little boy on the way. I have had freshwater tanks for a long time and thought it was time to graduate. I have put in place a few goals to test my dedication. I first decided I need to paint and replace a window in the living room. Second, I am going to build my own stand. And third, I am going to build my own aquarium. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

tiredreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 09:36 PM   #2673
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredreefer View Post
Hey all I thought the name Tiredreefer would be suiting since I have twin girls and a little boy on the way. I have had freshwater tanks for a long time and thought it was time to graduate. I have put in place a few goals to test my dedication. I first decided I need to paint and replace a window in the living room. Second, I am going to build my own stand. And third, I am going to build my own aquarium. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

To Reef Central
Sounds like you have a goal set, read the DIY forum for ideas on how to build a sturdy stand as well as a waterproof tank. Good luck.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/26/2010, 10:30 PM   #2674
Varkalis22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
As a fellow USAF I need to say, "Welcome" as well. Recruiter huh? Taking a break from deploying? I don't blame you.
Good luck with recruiting, they say, "either you have it or you don't" hopefully you're one that has it.
Recruiting is a whole new ball game now. All the standards went up and its even harder to join. So it makes it interesting. Its also nice in a way knowing the AF is a better force now. I did take recruiting to get away from deployments. My wife just got out of the AF to go to school full time and i knew if i was a recruiter i would be with my family for 4 years. How long have you been in and where are you stationed? Its alway great to meet someone from the same brotherhood. Not to mention is rare to find someone who is a reefer.

Unread 05/26/2010, 10:43 PM   #2675
jasledge
Registered Member

Hello, I'm new!

Hey all, I'm Jennifer, a new Chemistry and Physical Science teacher, and I'm planning to set up a saltwater tank in my classroom this summer. I've had tanks before, but not for almost 10 years now. We had a reef tank for about three years before we had to move. I'm resurrecting that tank for my classroom. It's a 46 gallon glass tank, 36x16x20 with a bowed front. I still have all our old equipment (who knows what's good and what's trash) and all our old live rock (now base rock). Hopefully I can get this set up before school starts and without breaking the bank since paychecks don't start till August .

jasledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral