Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marine Depot
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2015, 10:31 PM   #176
SAZ03
Registered Member

I could only do 3 52's without the center brace but the brace makes it impossible to do 3 52's. That is why I am trying to figure out whether 2 52's would be the same or better than 2 26's or vice versa.

SAZ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2015, 07:06 AM   #177
oldbones
Registered Member

With your tank only being 20" front to back, I might lean towards two 52's just for simplicity's sake. If it were a deeper footprint, maybe 26's mounted perpendicular would be better.

oldbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 09:09 AM   #178
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAZ03 View Post
I have a 60x20x20 tank with the dreaded black center brace down the middle. I am about to pull the trigger and pre-order the AI Hydra HD lights but cannot figure out the right number or configuration. I am thinking either 2 52's or 4 26's. Can someone help me figure out what will be better overall? I guess its a personal preference but was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.
Hi SAZ03,

If it'll be a mixed reef, you can definitely get away with just the two 52's. There may be slight shading beneath the brace, but you can simply place corals that need less light there.

If you are looking to keep a lot of SPS corals, or want to eliminate as much shading as possible, then we would recommend going with the four 26's. Not only will be total wattage be higher, but you will also be able to get a better cover because there are four fixtures. One option may be to angle the middle 26's slightly to get around the brace.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 10:08 AM   #179
mitek2
Registered Member

Ohhh, angle them, good idea. I never thought of that

mitek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 10:48 AM   #180
GOSKN5
Registered Member

Hello, with the new Hydra HD is a constant WiFi connection required or only when needing to change schedule etc?

I don't have WiFi in my home, but when I am around I can tether my phone for a WiFi connection if I needed to adjust the schedule or intensity etc... or is constant WiFi availability required? Thank you..

GOSKN5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 10:58 AM   #181
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSKN5 View Post
Hello, with the new Hydra HD is a constant WiFi connection required or only when needing to change schedule etc?

I don't have WiFi in my home, but when I am around I can tether my phone for a WiFi connection if I needed to adjust the schedule or intensity etc... or is constant WiFi availability required? Thank you..
No WiFi is required. The WiFi is built-in and can connect directly to you smartphone, tablet or WiFi enable Mac/PC: where you can make changes through the AI App.

Constant WiFi is only needed if you are using an AI Director for control, or if you are wanting to make changes remotely though the myAI website.

Unread 10/05/2015, 12:29 PM   #182
GOSKN5
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!

GOSKN5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 12:44 PM   #183
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Ai-Fi Wi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSKN5 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the quick response!
Fo sho!

Unread 10/05/2015, 01:47 PM   #184
SAZ03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Hi SAZ03,

If it'll be a mixed reef, you can definitely get away with just the two 52's. There may be slight shading beneath the brace, but you can simply place corals that need less light there.

If you are looking to keep a lot of SPS corals, or want to eliminate as much shading as possible, then we would recommend going with the four 26's. Not only will be total wattage be higher, but you will also be able to get a better cover because there are four fixtures. One option may be to angle the middle 26's slightly to get around the brace.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.
I was hoping you would chime in with 'sponsor' advice. You just earned yourselves a sale!! I will reach out to you shortly (when not at work). I am really excited to upgrade lights and since wife gave me the go-ahead, I am even more excited. I like the idea of 4 26's so I can move them around and customize the look. One question though, are they connectable or do I have to adjust each one separately? Not a deal breaker, just curious. I will also want to find out about mounting options that will allow me to adjust and move them at will.

SAZ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 02:15 PM   #185
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAZ03 View Post
I was hoping you would chime in with 'sponsor' advice. You just earned yourselves a sale!! I will reach out to you shortly (when not at work). I am really excited to upgrade lights and since wife gave me the go-ahead, I am even more excited. I like the idea of 4 26's so I can move them around and customize the look. One question though, are they connectable or do I have to adjust each one separately? Not a deal breaker, just curious. I will also want to find out about mounting options that will allow me to adjust and move them at will.
Hi SAZ03,

I'm glad we're able to help and thank you in advance for your business! Out of the box, one light will control the other three. If you would like to control them individually, you will need to purchase the Director and create different 'groups' to control the lights separately.

The AI Classic Rail kit is great if you want to be able to slide the lights back and forth along the rail. However, do be able to angle them, you will need to be a little more creative.

Unread 10/28/2015, 09:59 AM   #186
SCreef
Registered Member

Hi MD,

I am picking up 3 of the new Hydra 52 HDs for my 96"lx24"wx20"d tank. I currently have the Sols so I'm excited. I hope that the new 52 HDs will give me a better light spread to cover the current dark spots. Do you think that it'll be enough? I'm assumming that positioning the lights perpendicular to the front tank panel is best right? What height would you recommend I mount them above water line? Also, would you recommend the 6" ext rail for the 24" wide tank or 12"? Thank you so very much for the help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151021_221421.jpg (44.0 KB, 44 views)
SCreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2015, 11:38 AM   #187
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Lightbulb Hydra HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCreef View Post
Hi MD,

I am picking up 3 of the new Hydra 52 HDs for my 96"lx24"wx20"d tank. I currently have the Sols so I'm excited. I hope that the new 52 HDs will give me a better light spread to cover the current dark spots. Do you think that it'll be enough? I'm assumming that positioning the lights perpendicular to the front tank panel is best right? What height would you recommend I mount them above water line? Also, would you recommend the 6" ext rail for the 24" wide tank or 12"? Thank you so very much for the help!
Nice Tank! Happy to hear you are making the upgrade from the Sol’s to the Hydra 52’s HD. You will find that there are many great benefits in this upgrade.

With proper placement they should alleviate your dark spot issues. The proper height placement of your lights will depend on the intensity that you plan on setting your lights at and the spread that you wish your fixtures to give you.

We would recommend to set them around 8-10” above the water line. A higher mount will give you more surface coverage but you will also see a decrease in PAR.

As for positioning, this fixture has great lenses that will give you the best balance of power, spread and blending of color, so we always say to go with what would look better in your tank.

If the Classic Rail Kit is not an option for you, we would recommend using the 12” EXT rails. We hope this helps.

Unread 10/29/2015, 10:25 AM   #188
SCreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice Tank! Happy to hear you are making the upgrade from the Sol’s to the Hydra 52’s HD. You will find that there are many great benefits in this upgrade.

With proper placement they should alleviate your dark spot issues. The proper height placement of your lights will depend on the intensity that you plan on setting your lights at and the spread that you wish your fixtures to give you.

We would recommend to set them around 8-10” above the water line. A higher mount will give you more surface coverage but you will also see a decrease in PAR.

As for positioning, this fixture has great lenses that will give you the best balance of power, spread and blending of color, so we always say to go with what would look better in your tank.

If the Classic Rail Kit is not an option for you, we would recommend using the 12” EXT rails. We hope this helps.
Thanks! I'll play around with the heights and light placement to optimize the light coverage. Do you know if the Hydra 52 HDs come with recommended initial light settings for acclimation? On my sols, I am currently running 86% across the board on the whites, blues, and royal blues. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

SCreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2015, 11:21 AM   #189
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question AI Hydra 52 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCreef View Post
Thanks! I'll play around with the heights and light placement to optimize the light coverage. Do you know if the Hydra 52 HDs come with recommended initial light settings for acclimation? On my sols, I am currently running 86% across the board on the whites, blues, and royal blues. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
The Hydra 52 HD do not come with preset with light settings. They do however have a coral acclimation mode which you can choose an intensity and end period and your light fixtures will automatically slowly increase until that end date.

Unread 10/29/2015, 01:34 PM   #190
expo703
Registered Member

I have a 72x18x24 tank and have three hydra 26's would that be enough for some SPS like monti caps and acro's but mostly softies, rbta, and lps?

expo703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2015, 04:33 PM   #191
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Lightbulb Hydra TwentySix

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo703 View Post
I have a 72x18x24 tank and have three hydra 26's would that be enough for some SPS like monti caps and acro's but mostly softies, rbta, and lps?
With your shallow aquarium, you can use three Hydra 26’s to create a mixed reef. Running only two will most likely give you a shadow effect in your tank. With proper mounting, three of the Hydra 26’s would give you a more ideal look and help you grow a thriving reef.

Unread 11/02/2015, 03:14 PM   #192
expo703
Registered Member

Quote:
With your shallow aquarium, you can use three Hydra 26’s to create a mixed reef. Running only two will most likely give you a shadow effect in your tank. With proper mounting, three of the Hydra 26’s would give you a more ideal look and help you grow a thriving reef.
Perfect yah I have 3 was thinking about adding a 4th but obviously don't want to overdue it and spend $ where it isn't necessary

expo703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2015, 04:49 PM   #193
RobTheReefer
Moved Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitek2 View Post

But the two I have I never go over 15 to 20%! They put out enough light at that low level
Thanks for this. I also have a 48" tank. I think I'll go with the TwentySix HD's and just use their power instead of FiftyTwo's turned way down. It's an in-wall, so I can raise them as far as necessary to avoid any dark spots.

RobTheReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2015, 09:59 PM   #194
Kengar
Registered Member

Hi there. You may have given relevant info above but on iPhone I didn't want to scroll and read all. For 250 g tank, 7 foot long by 28 inches wide by 24 and 5/8 deep (the extra 5/8 to get me to even 250), what would you recommend? 26/52/26? 26/26/26? 52/52? Tank will be eurobraced around perimeter but otherwise open, i.e. No cross bracing. Livestock to include clams, anemones (bta and/or H. Magnifica (ritteri)), and sps. Thanks

Unread 11/06/2015, 11:10 AM   #195
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question Hydra FiftyTwo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
Hi there. You may have given relevant info above but on iPhone I didn't want to scroll and read all. For 250 g tank, 7 foot long by 28 inches wide by 24 and 5/8 deep (the extra 5/8 to get me to even 250), what would you recommend? 26/52/26? 26/26/26? 52/52? Tank will be eurobraced around perimeter but otherwise open, i.e. No cross bracing. Livestock to include clams, anemones (bta and/or H. Magnifica (ritteri)), and sps. Thanks
Given that your aquarium is 7’ long x 28” wide and you have mainly high light requiring specimens, I do not recommend using the Hyday 26.

Instead I would recommend investing in the AquaIllumination Hydra FiftyTwo HD LED Fixture which will meet the demands of all of your clams and SPS corals at whatever depth you wish to keep them at.

Being that it is a 7’ long tank, we recommend using 3 of these. Properly placed, they should cover the entire surface area. Hope this helps!

Unread 11/06/2015, 11:16 AM   #196
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Hope this helps!
It does (knowing what is recommended) and it doesn't (time to spend MORE MONEY)

Thanks! Ken

Unread 11/06/2015, 11:20 AM   #197
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Lightbulb Hydra FiftyTwo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
It does (knowing what is recommended) and it doesn't (time to spend MORE MONEY)

Thanks! Ken
We do offer financing with via PayPal Credit, if that helps. You get interest free financing as long as you pay it off within 6 months.

It's a useful service. I used it to buy my dad a computer online a while back.

Unread 01/12/2016, 09:46 AM   #198
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

another tank/which/how many

Short and sweet, mixed reef tank, 60" long, 20" front to back, 22" deep. Hydra 52 or 26, and how many?
Also, this is going into a hood, is that OK with these?
Thanks!

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 02:41 PM   #199
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefteaser View Post
Short and sweet, mixed reef tank, 60" long, 20" front to back, 22" deep. Hydra 52 or 26, and how many?
Also, this is going into a hood, is that OK with these?
Thanks!
How tall is the hood? You will want a couple of inches between the light and the top of the hood for ventilation as well as fans actively pushing air in and out of the canopy. Additionally, you want 6-8 inches from the bottom of the light to the top of your aquarium, so the canopy needs to be 10"-12" tall. We typically don't recommend installing LED's inside hoods due to heat and moisture, but it is possible if done correctly.

If the canopy is less than 10"-12" tall, one option is to have cut-outs on the top of the canopy and simply placing the lights over the cut-outs.

As for the fixture selection, three Hydra 26's should give you better distribution/coverage versus two Hydra 52's, so is what we would recommend.

Unread 02/14/2016, 09:37 AM   #200
Ryan edge
Registered Member

Reefer 350 sps build... 3×26hds or 2×52hds? +what's up with mounting options

Ryan edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ai hydra, aqua illumination, fiftytwo, hydra fiftytwo, marine depot