Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2020, 07:31 PM   #1426
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Today I did another water change, to hopefully get calcium levels down to the point that it won't precipitate on the grasses. I also pinched off all blades that were coated, so we're back to just green. It's thinned out but looks okay. I got a few pics.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2020, 04:51 PM   #1427
vlangel
Registered Member

Loving these pics Michael! Thanks for sharing.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2020, 05:50 PM   #1428
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! It's good to have something decent to show. I haven't forgotten about getting you the shoal grass. Sorry it's taking so long. With all the work just to get to this point has been a huge effort. Hang in there!

Unread 06/18/2020, 06:53 PM   #1429
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks Dawn! It's good to have something decent to show. I haven't forgotten about getting you the shoal grass. Sorry it's taking so long. With all the work just to get to this point has been a huge effort. Hang in there!
It's fine Michael and no need to be sorry. Everyone is busy this time of year and I figured that you will get to it when you have time and I can be patient. I just appreciate you offering it.

I have your purple sponge ready to send as well.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 06/26/2020, 11:57 AM   #1430
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So I have seaweed on the way today, I think. It's taken a looong time. I ordered on June 6th. It's a new vendor for me, and like most online sites, they said orders will take longer, with the pandemic. But Jeez!

My biggest concern is how long have my weeds been sealed up in a box? I'm half expecting a bunch of green goo. We shall see! I'll report back…

Unread 06/26/2020, 01:14 PM   #1431
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
So I have seaweed on the way today, I think. It's taken a looong time. I ordered on June 6th. It's a new vendor for me, and like most online sites, they said orders will take longer, with the pandemic. But Jeez!

My biggest concern is how long have my weeds been sealed up in a box? I'm half expecting a bunch of green goo. We shall see! I'll report back…
Here's having fingers crossed that you do not get green goo!

Unread 06/26/2020, 01:32 PM   #1432
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I waited 20 days and received the wrong seaweed. This is just unacceptable. No glowing review for this lame-@ss vender! I won't even mention their name. Did they think I wouldn't notice? Utterly disgusted…

Unread 06/26/2020, 05:15 PM   #1433
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Wow, that's disappointing. What did you order?

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2020, 07:01 PM   #1434
vlangel
Registered Member

Ahh, I am sorry Michael, that stinks!

Unread 06/30/2020, 07:16 AM   #1435
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I ordered Ulva Intestinalis, they sent Ulva Lactuca. I informed them of the mistake, they say they will correct it. So now I guess I just wait.

Unread 07/12/2020, 08:36 PM   #1436
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Dusk Lighting

Unread 07/13/2020, 05:33 PM   #1437
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Dusk Lighting

Cool effect!

Unread 07/13/2020, 05:48 PM   #1438
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! I actually meant to get shots before the lights went out. But I was too late, so I took one with just the blue light still on.

Unread 07/13/2020, 08:05 PM   #1439
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Nice! Are those mangroves still growing? They might need some air eventually.

Unread 07/13/2020, 09:24 PM   #1440
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks ThePurple12! Yes, the mangroves are still growing. It is my hope they will eventually reach the surface and get some air. For now, they are soaking up nutrients from my yard dirt substrate. I was not willing to float them with styrofoam blocks or some other hideous temporary setup, in my display. So, they make it this way, or they don't. They seem to be doing pretty well, and growing slowly. I think I've had them for about a year now. I still don't know if they'll make it, but I've enjoyed having them.

Unread 07/14/2020, 07:41 AM   #1441
Chasmodes
Registered Member

The tank looks fantastic. Thanks for the pics, love 'em. It's funny, you see the work that you need to do for and end goal, and we see a terrific tank as is .

I love the dusk pic too!

Sorry for being away for a while. I've been in that same COVID funk for a while now. It's weird that I'm home more, but less motivated than before, and that's not good. I said something to my daughter, and now she's helping me by nagging me to do the things that I want to do that I've procrastinated on. LOL. It's a good thing, she's trying to help me.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2020, 08:43 AM   #1442
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin! So true about the covid funk. I'm around more, but way less motivated. Let's call it more hands-off. I'm just sort of steering the tank in a general direction, rather than trying to control it. I think the general direction is good, if a bit sloppy!

I'd love to have more help with algae, but I don't dare spend money on a Herald's Angelfish right now. I do have two mollies that are eating algae, but they are not quite enough. I guess on the plus side, one has turned into a male, so babies should be on the way at some point. A good brood of babies might make a dent in it - little eating machines!

Unread 07/14/2020, 06:14 PM   #1443
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I hear ya... My wife was furloughed, so I know what it's like to pinch pennies. That has been a huge part of this covid funk. Kewl that one of your mollies changed sides

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2020, 10:23 PM   #1444
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, we get paid quarterly, and it's based on what we did a year ago. So we'll have to wait a year to see how bad it gets for us. I'm crossing my fingers and saving cash where I can. Sorry to hear your wife has been furloughed. Hopefully they'll bring her back soon.

This brings up the question of how to go forward with an aquarium in a pandemic/recession. I think I'll just work with what I've got and see how it goes. It'll be less about buying new stuff. With the mollies I at least have the chance to have more algae-eating fish, when they make babies. I love the way baby mollies look in the tank. It's interesting to watch how they get by, at the bottom of the fish totem pole. Try not to get eaten, swim, eat and grow.

Over the weekend I did another water change and algae export. I've gotten more calcium deposits on the grasses! And I had pruned them all down to green, so its all new deposits. I've even gotten some Halimeda plants popping up from the live rock. It's calcium soup! I've still got some ugly algae too. I keep pruning it back, and gradually the Caulerpa overgrows it.

I've heard some encouraging news from the online seller that sent me the wrong plant. He says he's got some of the plant I ordered now. So maybe I'll have it some time in the future. Woo!

Unread 07/23/2020, 09:56 AM   #1445
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well, my month and half long experience with a new online plant vender has ended. After another two weeks of no progress, I emailed them last night and asked them to send me the plant or a refund. I have been refunded, which is the bright spot of an otherwise awful experience.

Probably the most frustrating thing is that the whole debacle could have been avoided if they simply posted on their site that the plant was sold out. Instead, they attempted to deceive me and send another plant, and then delay, while they attempted to grow what I ordered, without success.

Now I'll just put this behind me and look to the future. There are other, great venders out there, that I will continue to work with. Onward!

Unread 07/25/2020, 10:59 AM   #1446
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm kind of on cruise control lately, with the Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon. I guess a lot of people are, this time of year.

Every few weeks I export yucky algae, and the good algae gradually takes its place. I've halted dosing to get nutrient levels down as well. So no CO2 and no ammonia is being added. These brought explosive growth, but now I have pretty good plant coverage, so now I'm trying to slow things down a bit. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I expect I'll have some caulerpa melt-downs, which are no big deal in this kind of tank. Ideally, lowered nutrients will lead to more rapid decline of the unwanted algae.

The mollies seem to be in the midst of romance. Not sure if she's prego. She's not showing the obvious signs yet. It's just a matter to time. I'm really looking forward to having a new brood of babies. Also I'm curious what colors they will be. She's a solid white Silver, he's a mostly black Dalmation. I've yet to play the breeding fish genetics game, so this should be interesting. Mostly I just want more hungry algae eaters in the tank. Baby mollies eat constantly.

I'm still getting calcium deposits on the grasses. It's not as bad as before though. With my paying less attention to the tank lately, I hardly noticed that the grasses are doing really well! In fact the whole tank looks good. It's a bit shaggy in places but overall I'm happy!

What's next? Probably more cruise control. We're into prime mountain biking season, and I'm finally getting enough fitness to keep up with my buddies. Camping is less appealing lately, with most Americans staying in country these days, so it's been crowded. Once school starts it should get better.

If I can make time to clean the glass, I'll try to get some pics…

Unread 07/25/2020, 01:04 PM   #1447
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Nice to hear things are going well. Ever consider adding a carpet anemone or pocillopora colony right in the middle of the grass? I've seen things like that snorkeling in Guam.

Unread 07/25/2020, 01:23 PM   #1448
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks ThePurple12! I had a nice purple Condylactis Gigantea anemone in v1. No interest in corals for this tank, though I'd like to do a bommie of Stylophora one day. For this tank I wanted to have a more singular focus - on plants. This way there is less compromise and I can give the plants whatever they want. What you are doing with plants and corals in the same tank is more challenging, and I'm not confident I'm up to that yet. Someday!

Lately, I have been interested in exactly what you described - a coral colony in the middle of a seagrass meadow. Maybe that will be v3!

Unread 07/26/2020, 05:39 PM   #1449
vlangel
Registered Member

Wow, thinking of v3? Your mind must never stop.

Unread 07/26/2020, 05:55 PM   #1450
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I look forward to seeing it!

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass