Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2017, 11:44 PM   #1
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Mitras LX7 screw

I received my new Mitras (first time using the mitras). What is the screw size to mount the light onto a light rack? I made my own light rack but need to find the right screw size.

gw11ucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 05:56 AM   #2
Jerel
Registered Member

The mounting screens that came with my GHL Flex Mount look to be 3.175mm(?)

Unread 01/12/2017, 11:39 AM   #3
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerel View Post
The mounting screens that came with my GHL Flex Mount look to be 3.175mm(?)
Is that the length of the screw?

Unread 01/12/2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Jerel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw11ucb View Post
Is that the length of the screw?
You mean the diameter, yes. 3.175mm is 1/8".

Typo from my previous response.. Screws , not screens Lol

Unread 01/12/2017, 12:37 PM   #5
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerel View Post
You mean the diameter, yes. 3.175mm is 1/8".

Typo from my previous response.. Screws , not screens Lol
Thanks! I don't know if they go by diameter or something with the machine screw. I will have to take the sample to Orchard and compare them

Unread 01/12/2017, 03:03 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

They are M4 diameter screws. Find a length that fits your light rack that will run through the rack and is long enough to extend about 1/4" into the mitras.

This is how I am mounting my 6 Mitras LX7's to my light rack. These articulating mounts will allow me to aim the lights where needed to reduce shadowing and reduce light on the viewing panes while maximizing coverage.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 04:02 PM   #7
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
They are M4 diameter screws. Find a length that fits your light rack that will run through the rack and is long enough to extend about 1/4" into the mitras.

This is how I am mounting my 6 Mitras LX7's to my light rack. These articulating mounts will allow me to aim the lights where needed to reduce shadowing and reduce light on the viewing panes while maximizing coverage.

Thank you! Any recommendation on the brand.

Unread 01/12/2017, 06:42 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you! Any recommendation on the brand.
Nope. Just go to some place like True Value hardware and find the right length ones. Stainless may not be a bad idea but if you don't plan on them getting splashed, pretty much anything will do.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/15/2017, 02:48 PM   #9
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Slief, can't wait to see these mounted on your tank (are they?) the more I see these fixtures the more I want my next tank to have them, and those articulating mounts ugh! I like!

Unread 01/15/2017, 06:51 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
Slief, can't wait to see these mounted on your tank (are they?) the more I see these fixtures the more I want my next tank to have them, and those articulating mounts ugh! I like!
Not yet. I'm about ready to mount them up. Just need to do some Kelvin testing on my exisitng lights and then program the Mitras to match the Kelvin and PAR as a starting point so I don't shock or damage my corals. I bought a Seneye meter for the Kelvin testing which was "open box". Apparently the original owner registered it to his account and didn't inform the reseller of that. When I set it up with my software, I was unable to register the device to my Seneye account in order to use it because the meter is associated with another account. I emailed Seney Friday but they were closed for the weekend. I should hear back from them late tonight since they are in Europe. With a bit of luck, they will resolve the issue immediately. If they do, my plan is to do the Kelvin testing tomorrow and set the base programming up in the Mitras then. Once that is done, I will be ready to have my buddy Jim come over to film the install.

I must admit, I am pretty excited and anxious. I was half tempted to just get them up already but given the investment I have in my corals, I'd much rather take a more scientific approach and reduce the acclimation time as much as possible instead of taking a shotgun approach and risk damaging my corals. If there is one thing I learned after being in the hobby for as long as I have, it's not to rush things as nothing good comes in the hobby when you rush them.

Unread 01/15/2017, 09:37 PM   #11
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Yeah I can understand that, get fancy new lights that very well might be way more powerful than your existing, last thing you want to do is kill off everything in one shot.

Sorry about the Seneye though, so it's functionality is locked to an account? Wow.

Unread 01/17/2017, 12:38 AM   #12
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Not yet. I'm about ready to mount them up. Just need to do some Kelvin testing on my exisitng lights and then program the Mitras to match the Kelvin and PAR as a starting point so I don't shock or damage my corals. I bought a Seneye meter for the Kelvin testing which was "open box". Apparently the original owner registered it to his account and didn't inform the reseller of that. When I set it up with my software, I was unable to register the device to my Seneye account in order to use it because the meter is associated with another account. I emailed Seney Friday but they were closed for the weekend. I should hear back from them late tonight since they are in Europe. With a bit of luck, they will resolve the issue immediately. If they do, my plan is to do the Kelvin testing tomorrow and set the base programming up in the Mitras then. Once that is done, I will be ready to have my buddy Jim come over to film the install.

I must admit, I am pretty excited and anxious. I was half tempted to just get them up already but given the investment I have in my corals, I'd much rather take a more scientific approach and reduce the acclimation time as much as possible instead of taking a shotgun approach and risk damaging my corals. If there is one thing I learned after being in the hobby for as long as I have, it's not to rush things as nothing good comes in the hobby when you rush them.
I was too excited I set it up within 2 days after I received the light and find the screws for my light.

Unread 01/17/2017, 07:42 AM   #13
Marco@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Looks great!
Watch the intensity of the UV channel. I'll send you a PM.

Marco@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 11:23 AM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I was too excited I set it up within 2 days after I received the light and find the screws for my light.

Very very nice!!

Unread 01/17/2017, 12:22 PM   #15
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@GHLUSA View Post
Looks great!
Watch the intensity of the UV channel. I'll send you a PM.
Thanks! I have the UV channel at 10% and run the white max at 35% for now.

Unread 01/17/2017, 12:24 PM   #16
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Very very nice!!
Thanks! I was able to find the right screw size thanks to you I can push the lights all the way to the back if I need to do major redo of rock work

Unread 01/17/2017, 02:46 PM   #17
Vinny@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Beautiful!

Vinny@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 05:45 PM   #18
mako61
Registered Member

Anyone know what mount gw11ucb is using ?

mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 12:46 AM   #19
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
Anyone know what mount gw11ucb is using ?
I used 80/20 aluminum. PM and I can send you the parts I order.

Unread 03/05/2017, 12:18 PM   #20
mako61
Registered Member

Yea I didnt correctly read your first message. I figured out you used 80/20 after poking around. I am planning a similar mount, as yours looks very nice.

I do have one question. Did you drill holes in the front rail for you lights. I cant tell from the picture. I am trying to come up with a design that can be moved along the rail. I am planning an adapter bracket like Slief used to go from the light to slot anchors.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote