Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2017, 12:59 PM   #1
GabeB
Registered Member

Buy a new tank or stick with the biocube?

I ran a biocube for around 5ish years before just taking it down. It had its highs and lows and I want to put a tank back into action. I still have the biocube.. Should I use it or would you recommend buying a new larger tank and run a dedicated sump and the whole shebang. How would work load compare and how much harder/easier could I expect it to be. Any other comments would be nice as well! Thank you! Also if I went with a new tank what size would be recommended?

GabeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 01:06 PM   #2
soulpatch
Registered Member

depends on what you want to do. You can have a nice small reef in a BC. I did for over a year till I upgraded to my 150. I like the added size for more corals and fish options and a sump is nice to have to hide equipment and add more stuff. That said there was a joy with the nano being so easy to maintain. water changes, feeding, and at the end some very light dosing. The 150 has a lot more going on and is significantly more expensive to run with pumps, lighting, salt usage, and the like. I wouldn't go back now but might set up a small nano in a hallway to bring back the low maintenance tank and perhaps have it be coral only...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Bill Nye
Registered Member

If you have room for a sump I think it would be a huge improvement. I kept AIO nanos for years growing up but once I set up a tank with a sump I would never go back.

Bill Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Valentini89
Registered Member

I would set up a new tank (have a nano now, saving for a 150g) so I know where you're coming from.. you could set up the BC and keep it as a quarantine, hospital tank, etc for your new tank.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 09:14 AM   #5
GabeB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
depends on what you want to do. You can have a nice small reef in a BC. I did for over a year till I upgraded to my 150. I like the added size for more corals and fish options and a sump is nice to have to hide equipment and add more stuff. That said there was a joy with the nano being so easy to maintain. water changes, feeding, and at the end some very light dosing. The 150 has a lot more going on and is significantly more expensive to run with pumps, lighting, salt usage, and the like. I wouldn't go back now but might set up a small nano in a hallway to bring back the low maintenance tank and perhaps have it be coral only...
Maybe I'll set up the biocube and maybe look into a 150 for later.

GabeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 10:30 AM   #6
JonCubb
Registered Member

I have a BC29 running now, and I'm planning a 120g, might get it going hopefully in a couple years. At that time, I will probably use the BC29 as a temporary frag tank or QT tank.

JonCubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCubb View Post
I have a BC29 running now, and I'm planning a 120g, might get it going hopefully in a couple years. At that time, I will probably use the BC29 as a temporary frag tank or QT tank.
Once I get my 150 up and running my 26 g will be a good q tank.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 07:15 PM   #8
moondoggy4
Registered Member

L X W X H =$$$

A great size to start with is a 40 breeder from Petco and a 20 L from Petco. Watch the MarineDepot video on there project tank. As a tank gets wider you need more lights, probably the most expensive part of the hobby.

Cubes are nice but the sumps are a PITA so building a rectangle stand with a larger sump and a cube on top is very nice.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bidcub, new tank