Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2016, 08:14 AM   #1
Capsle
Registered Member

Stocking list / compatibility and general questions

Hey Reefers,

Here is what I plan on stocking once my tank is cycled up and running. Not everything will be going in at once at it will be over the course of several months / year. I know that it is better to introduce certain fish before others but I don't know which and haven't been able to find much info on it.

Also, when it comes to coral is there any incompatibilities between each other, as fish would have? Is there a chronological order that coral needs to be added or it really doesn't matter (as long as your water parameters are in check and stable)?

My tank is a 67 g with 67 lb of live rock. I have a 35g sump with has a 12g fuge. I am running 1 reef octopus classic 150 skimmer, with a grye xf130 powerhead. Lighting is Maxspect R420 180w. Water flow is about 800 gph.

Stocking list is as follows:
- varius snails
-scarlette / blue legged hermit crabs
-2 fire shrimp
-1 skunk cleaner shrimp
-1 peppermint shrimp
- 2 Black Percula Clownfish
- 1 Foxface
- 1 yellow tang
- 1 flame damsel
- 1 mandarin (will need a very health population of copepods, I plan on culturing them in and outside tank and in my fuge).

As for coral it would be some LPS and softies, zoa and Xenia is what is currently on my list. I would also like to have 1-2 anemones.

Any thoughts and suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Caps.

Current Tank Info: 65G DT with custom overflow, 35G custom sump, maxspect R420r 180w 15K, reef octopus classic 150 skimmer.
Capsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Not good for a 65 gallon. Foxface 150 gallon; flame angel better in 100, might be ok in a 65; tang better in a 100 to 150; percs ok in a 65. Foxface and tang grow to 10" and may well turn killer of your other fish before they reach 6".

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Capsle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Not good for a 65 gallon. Foxface 150 gallon; flame angel better in 100, might be ok in a 65; tang better in a 100 to 150; percs ok in a 65. Foxface and tang grow to 10" and may well turn killer of your other fish before they reach 6".
Thanks Sk8r,

I was going off of live aquaria info for size and minimum tank specs. I'm trying to get all the info possible as it varies so much from LFS to LFS and website to website.

I like asking here because I get the experience behind your answers. I do ask a lot of questions but do do a lot of research before asking them. I ask here as a final source of info.

Current Tank Info: 65G DT with custom overflow, 35G custom sump, maxspect R420r 180w 15K, reef octopus classic 150 skimmer.
Capsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Live Aquaria is good, but check the adult size which they also give. A 10" fish is just too cramped, and aggression is generally a function of tank size. Your 65 can house one damsel (the flame is an angel), one small angel, a dartfish, several gobies and blennies, a jawfish, ---name me some others and I'll tell you, but allow plenty of room for manuever re the adult size of the fish: tangs are best in a 300, as a generality, but can manage in half that: they're the largest 'big fish' we commonly keep, and some are fairly slow-moving grazers (kole, tomini) and ok in a smaller tank, but the runners like the yellows and the really big guys like to get up and move: so happier fish, happier tank. Tangs and rabbits are both spikers, and the rabbit is venomous: they can be lethal to other fish on a moment's whim, so keeping them placid is a good idea, and a big tank is the best answer. OTOH, getting an interactive community going is fun: the jawfish comes out and makes faces at the watchman goby, the blenny makes faces at everybody, and the dwarf angel sort of cruises. OTOH---beware of angels with corals: noshy. If you want something busy and colorful, try a single Fiji blue damsel, or the like, or a set of 3 yellowtail damsels. Damsels generally (one exception, which I can't recall) will not bother coral. The clowns' anemone WILL war with corals, if too close, and they're kind of the 800 lb gorilla in the tank---they go where they want, right over coral if that's where they want to be.

Corals do fight with each other: 6" separation on all stony, for safety; and don't generally put softies and stony in the same tank. They also must be dipped and examined for their own parasites---usually a fairly easy process.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote