Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Big_Boss_77
Registered Member

Circular PVC Bubble Trap- Hear me out!

Okay, I've got a problem with microbubbles and I'm trying to think outside the box in remedying them. I have a vertical return from my refugium with a few holes drilled in it to diffuse the water coming back. The vertical return has a T in it with a 90 degree elbow facing up to vent the bubbles as well. I'm afraid to use a filter pad to trap the bubbles because I don't want to impede the copepods on their path back to the DT. So, my thought experiment/title of the thread is to create some sort of vertical, circular bubble trap out of concentric tubes of PVC. Has anyone else ever tried ANYTHING like this? Feel free to tell me if I'm nuts or recommend any other alternatives to my problem!

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon with a 5 gallon fuge and 10 gallon sump
Big_Boss_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Mark426
Registered Member

Try it...its such low cost you don't have much to loose. Report back with pictures.

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 05:23 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

sure why not.. you just need to get the bubbles to the surface to "pop" before they are carried into the display tank..
Of course some pictures of where/why the microbubbles are being formed in the first place could help.

Unread 07/29/2014, 09:07 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

What I would do is get a length of 2" PVC pipe that is about .5"- 1" shorter than the sump level. Then get a piece of 4" PVC pipe that is about 1"-2 taller than the depth of your sump. You may need to play with this height and lower it if needed. Next, drill a series of 1/4" or 1/2" holes through the 4" PVC pipe keeping the holes limited to the bottom half of the pipe. The more holes the better.

Next, slip the 2" pipe without holes into the 4" pipe with the holes. Now place that contraption into the sump such that your return drain line extends down into the 2" pipe. The idea is that water will be forced to rise to the surface through the 2" pipe and then flow back down through the holes in the 4" pipe and into your sump. That should eliminate most if not all of the micro bubbles. You may need to experiment with your pipe size because depending on flow, it could cause a back up in the drain lines. If so, you may need to use a 4" and a 6" PVC pipe.

Also, keep in mind that if any fish or snails make their way through your everflow, they will be trapped in these pipes or worse, could clog up the drain line.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 07/29/2014 at 09:14 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 09:14 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Here is a rough drawing. The holes are only on the outside pipe. I would also glue or epoxy both pipes to a square base so the pipes don't move.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 07/29/2014 at 09:22 AM.
Unread 07/30/2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Big_Boss_77
Registered Member

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you all on this, I really appreciate all the reaponses! That is exactly what I had in mind slief, I built something identical to that. Only problem is I had no room left in the return section of the sump my sump is only a 10 gallon and no room for exspansion in the current stand. Any other ideas? I'm at work now so I can send pictures tonight when I get home

Edit:
What if I built that exact design but suspended it all out of the water accept for the return holes?

Unread 07/30/2014, 10:55 AM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Boss_77 View Post

Edit:
What if I built that exact design but suspended it all out of the water accept for the return holes?
That might/should work.. You could always try it.

Unread 07/30/2014, 12:37 PM   #8
sneeyatch
Registered Member

I did something similar to this and it works well.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1916101

Instead of siliconing the piece together, I just made it a force fit, I also drilled a few more (but smaller diameter) holes along the top and didn't see the need for the coupler at the bottom. Mine's just a straight shot.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Big_Boss_77
Registered Member

That's almost exactly what I had in mind. Been busy getting my house set up after the move so I've put my improvement plans on hold. I will just need to miniturize it to the point where it will fit in my tiny sump lol