Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2018, 09:35 PM   #1
truben1010
Registered Member

Different clownfish face appearances?

I’ve seen that some clownfish have “ugly” kinda pushed in faces. Are they a different breed or what?

Regular clownfish face appearance ^

The second from the top has the “ugly” face.

This one may be sick but it still has the ugly face.
Any thoughts on this?

truben1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 05:56 AM   #2
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

No they are fish that should have been culled
Deformed fish in the wild would be eaten and killed by natural selection
Breeders these days
have no clue what they are doing
1 interbreed
2 dont cull because they want to sell as many as possible
3 dont cull because they don’t know what to look for in a healthy fish
4 dont cull because they feel bad
And sooo much more
Personally they would be giveaways fish that you give away to friends that know what they are getting

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Joe0813
Registered Member

I don't see the problem ?

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 09:21 AM   #4
kevin21
Registered Member

Same..nothing wrong with those fish. They can live long healthy lives just like "regular" clowns. We should never kill when we don't have to in this hobby. The more captive bred the better. Need to save the reefs in the wild the best we can. If it means a bit of a pushed in face on the clown, does it really matter? Not that I see the difference anyway.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 12:15 PM   #5
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

There is a reason fish are culled in the wild naturally, its nature’s way of only having the strongest most healthy fish continuing on

These fish should definitely not be sold i personally don’t have the heart to kill them so as i said i would give them away and notify the recipient that its a deformed fish

Selling them or breeding them again would only make a weaker fish
if you are really all about taking less from the wild this is part of it
if captive bred fish are going to be deformed and weaker dying sooner etc people will want wild caught, no one wants a fish that will only live 2 years because its face, organs and more is deformed when these fish should live 15+ years
Clownfish are one of the easier fish to take care and one of the hardiest of the the saltwater fish so why so many sudden deaths why so many sick clownfish

if you are going to play god then you have to do it all the way no feelings involved we need to have stronger healthier captive-bred fish in the hobby

Unread 11/16/2018, 12:17 PM   #6
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

And by the way all the fish in all those photos are sick the firsh has some sort of growth and the second/ third have clamped fins

Unread 11/16/2018, 01:36 PM   #7
sde1500
Registered Member

How many species of dogs out there have massive health problems because of inferior breeding or inbreeding from careless breeders? This isn't something we should be ok with, for dogs or for fish. I'd say it is very irresponsible to be selling fish that aren't in good condition. Clown fish are easy enough to breed that breeders should be expected to keep only those that are fully formed and healthy.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 05:26 PM   #8
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

How many people have health issue that should of been selected against in nature. Blonde hair is a trait in nature that is selected against in nature. That is why demestication of animals has such a impact because there are traits that are not selected against but praised for example certain fur colors in mink would be selected against in nature but are prettier so we breed for it. It is kinda a toss up between what we want and what would be considered natural and healthy

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 06:37 PM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFace Fish View Post
It is kinda a toss up between what we want and what would be considered natural and healthy

For certain characteristics or types of clowns like my Wyoming white sure. They are bred to look that way. The clowns in the pictures above have deformities, more like club foot than blonde hair. Pinched in heads and fins.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2018, 05:14 PM   #10
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFace Fish View Post
How many people have health issue that should of been selected against in nature. Blonde hair is a trait in nature that is selected against in nature. That is why demestication of animals has such a impact because there are traits that are not selected against but praised for example certain fur colors in mink would be selected against in nature but are prettier so we breed for it. It is kinda a toss up between what we want and what would be considered natural and healthy

Blond people don’t die faster than people with black hair just like white people don’t die faster than black people

But people with zika do die sooner than people without