Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2007, 11:13 AM   #251
Joao Magano
Registered Member

Hi Vitor,

Of course I like your project, It's really good.

To soon to take a lot of conclusions but at least we can say that is a project that works !

It was a good bet.

I'm curious about the evaporation when is totally not covered day and night, how many liters per day Vitor ?

www.ReefForum.net
Joao Magano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2007, 06:23 PM   #252
Doc Hammer
Registered Member

There's a great place in Boca Raton, Florida called Gumbo Limbo that has four outdoor tanks! The first one is for nurse sharks and lemon sharks, then there's one with different native fish, two big spiny lobsters, and a giant sea turtle named Ludwig. The third tank is more like a aggressive fish tank, with large porcupine puffers, sting rays, and some eels and sea robins. The fourth tank is kinda set up like a mangrove environment, with a mated pair of snooks, some needle fish, and a juvenile barracuda. Three juvenile sea turtles also live in this tank, they were all part of a gender study and will be released into the wild once old enough. Gumbo Limbo runs a sea turtle raising programs that is helping the population of the South-East Florida area. Check it out if you're ever in Miami or Fort Lauderdale!

http://gumbolimbo.org/

Doc Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 05:31 AM   #253
SLODEN53
Registered Member

This is really cool and an energy saver too! Like someone else posted, I liked the rock better when it was not placed in an oval shape.

Any particular reason why you layed the rock out in an oval pattern?

"You learn something new everyday"!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal with all soft corals
SLODEN53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 07:16 AM   #254
vitor pestana
Registered Member

Hi guys!

First of all i wish to apologize for my delay on the answers, i've been very occupied, and i wish to thank you all for the inspiring words.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rafiq

Anyway what I wanted to know was do you acclimate the corals to the intense sunlight? The PAR measurements I have taken here often go BEYOND the 1500micro moles per second mark(certainly beats the crap out of any metal halide :-) and this even at the very bottom of the tank.
Did this not cause a problem for you? I am going to some effort to try and attentuate the light. Granted, I am closer to the equator at 23 degrees south (Johannesburg, South Africa. so no NSW for me :-( ) compared to your 40 degrees north. Anyone else at an equavalent / similar latitude that can comment?

Kind Regards,
Rafiq
Hi Rafiq

Until this day i didn't aclimate the corals, i started in March and the sun was very friendly, not to agressive like in this current month June, the Summer Solstice is in the 21 of June, 8 days to get there.

At this time i realy need to cover the tank with this shade cloth, the sun is to intense, about the 85.000 lux.

By the way, i've just both a luxmeter to pinpoint and control the rigth ammount of ligth, i'm just waiting for the his arrival:

Regards

Quote:
Originally posted by Acolin
Great thread, great pics, love to see the progress! An in ground reef pond is a great idea that I dream about here in Southern Florida (number one American destination for European tourists).

Yes, the earth can buffer (smooth out/help ease) the summer high and winter low temperatures. Some aquarists here use water coils deep in the earth to provide geothermal cooling and temepaerature stability. However, I wonder much it can buffer the display tank when it seems so shallow.

Also Vitor, you put insulation around the tank, which isolates the tank from the earth’s temperature buffering. I can see the need for some cushioning material to allow for expansion and contraction of the tank and the surrounding earth – so that the tank does not crack, but too much insulation may reduce the buffering effect. Howe did you know how much insulation to put for safety, but not too much for insulation?

What is the display tank made of?

Why isn’t the glass top removable – what benefit do you gain? Why isn’t the top simply an inch wider so that it rests across the top of the reef pond?

Of course, with so much sunlight, did you consider biological filtering with an algae refugium?

Which brings up another question – are you feeding the Tangs algae, algae flakes, dried nori seaweed or fresh macro-algae from the ocean?

Have you thought about connecting the system to a small display tank in the house? There you could shelter and observe new species?
Hi Acolin

The earth can really buffer the temp.

Yes, the tank is shallow, about 55 cm deep, it has to be, only this way i can reach all partes of the tank, in my experience at this depth the tank works very well, considering the temp/maintenance issues.

Now about the isolation, it realy helps on the tank expansion and contraction.

The importance of the insulation material is that it preserves a constant temp, exactly want we want, was you know iven the best isolation material can not maintain the temp for a long time, so what it hapens is that the temp passes throw the earth surrounding the tank, maintaining even more the temp.

"What is the display tank made of?"

The tank is all made in glass.

"Why isn’t the glass top removable?"

I can take the cover off, and reach all corners of the tank, no need for the top cover to be removable, this way i can prevente the rain to get inside.

"Why isn’t the top simply an inch wider so that it rests across the top of the reef pond?"

I didn't get this question

"did you consider biological filtering with an algae refugium?"

Yes i did, but that way i simply lose two things, my family time and the rest of my garden.

"are you feeding the Tangs algae, algae flakes, dried nori seaweed or fresh macro-algae from the ocean?"

I feed the tang all kinds of food, algae flakes, normal flakes, and dried nory.

"Have you thought about connecting the system to a small display tank in the house? There you could shelter and observe new species?"

No my friend, i don't have a inside tank and do not intend to, my time is very limited, but i wish that this new aproach to marine aquariums can bring up new ideas and new setup just like you mentioned.

Best regards

Quote:
Originally posted by Marsfrogie
Very cool idea. I like how you didn't run a thread for months with cad drawings, etc... and just jumped right into it and made it work.

If you had to do it again is there anything you would change? Also, do you foresee this being a long term tank or do you think that you might one day go a completely different route with the same idea?
Hi Marsfrogie

Yes my friend, i certainly build a bigger sump.

Regards

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
[B]awesome idea(s)

you don't worry about animals or birds looking for prey with the top open? - just a thought as a friend of mine has a terrible problem with his pond - one day you may find a seagull swimming around
Hi jnb

No, were i live the sea birds live me alone, i only have only country birds and some sparrows.

Quote:
Originally posted by on3ofak1nd
I have a question about your Acreichthys Radiatus...
Nice for aptasia control but I am curious if you've seen him nip at coral polyps at all?
Additionally where did you obtain this specimen?

Awesome tank!
Thanks!
Hi on3ofak1nd

No, i've never seen him bit any coral.

I have seen this fish in almost every fishstor where i live.

Regards

Quote:
Originally posted by Joao Magano
Hi Vitor,

Of course I like your project, It's really good.

To soon to take a lot of conclusions but at least we can say that is a project that works !

It was a good bet.

I'm curious about the evaporation when is totally not covered day and night, how many liters per day Vitor ?

Hi Magano

Yes, is to soon to get any conclusions.

I have about 4-5 liters evaporation.

Regards

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Hammer
There's a great place in Boca Raton, Florida called Gumbo Limbo that has four outdoor tanks! The first one is for nurse sharks and lemon sharks, then there's one with different native fish, two big spiny lobsters, and a giant sea turtle named Ludwig. The third tank is more like a aggressive fish tank, with large porcupine puffers, sting rays, and some eels and sea robins. The fourth tank is kinda set up like a mangrove environment, with a mated pair of snooks, some needle fish, and a juvenile barracuda. Three juvenile sea turtles also live in this tank, they were all part of a gender study and will be released into the wild once old enough. Gumbo Limbo runs a sea turtle raising programs that is helping the population of the South-East Florida area. Check it out if you're ever in Miami or Fort Lauderdale!

http://gumbolimbo.org/
Very nice!!!

If i could i certainly be a volunteer,no doubt about it.

Regards

Quote:
Originally posted by SLODEN53
This is really cool and an energy saver too! Like someone else posted, I liked the rock better when it was not placed in an oval shape.

Any particular reason why you layed the rock out in an oval pattern?
Hi SLODEN53

Yes my friend there is a reason, this way i can see all tank from above, remember, i have a "see above" setup.

All the best

Vitor Pestana

vitor pestana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 07:47 AM   #255
Doc Hammer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vitor pestana
Very nice!!!

If i could i certainly be a volunteer,no doubt about it.

Regards
They have a programed in partnership with Florida Atlantic University that allows students majoring in marine biology to intern there! FAU is one of the schools I'm actually looking at, so I'll probably be there if I get in.

Doc Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 08:31 AM   #256
Rafiq
Registered Member

Hi Vitor,

Thanks a million for the reply, really important to me, I was beginning to think you would never see it in the see of messages since I posted LOL!

Now i just need to remember where I saw a 'close enough' coversion chart for lux to PAR intensities! Winter Solstcie is coming here soon, that is my deadline for having the tank up. Since I am just transferring and older tank I shoudn't have to cure anything. So I'm hoping I can stick the first corals in there by the 1st week of July.

Wish me luck!!

Many tahnks and kind regards,
Rafiq

Rafiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 12:35 PM   #257
vitor pestana
Registered Member

Hi Rafiq!

Yes, that's the way to go, but only with a luxmeter you can really know the correct ammount of light.

I did some research, in a natural coral reef the amount of lux is betewen 110.000 lux to 120.000 lux in the surface, 1 meter below this amount decress to 20.000 lux 25.000 lux, in my point of view, this amount of lux is the hight limit that a home aquarium should have, if you think about it, a natural coral reef goes to a greater depth.
I wil know for certain the amount of lux my tank receives when my luxmeter arrive.

Try to do the same.

By the way... no need to wish you "good luck" i'm certain that will work.

All the best

Vitor Pestana

Last edited by vitor pestana; 06/13/2007 at 12:55 PM.
Unread 06/13/2007, 01:48 PM   #258
benf
Premium Member

Not sure if u noticed my ealier post among so many, but could post the tank size(dimensions) again....i could not find it...

thanks
Ben

Current Tank Info: None :(
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 02:14 PM   #259
vitor pestana
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by benf
Not sure if u noticed my ealier post among so many, but could post the tank size(dimensions) again....i could not find it...

thanks
Ben
Hi benf

I'm sorry.

The size is 60"long 40"wide 24"depth

Regards

Vitor Pestana

Unread 06/13/2007, 04:26 PM   #260
benf
Premium Member

Thanks.... I told my boss today he should have gone to your house last week to see ur setup...he was in Lisbon on vacation.

Current Tank Info: None :(
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 07:03 AM   #261
Murphs205
gotta love saltwater.....

Thats way , way cool .....good luck ,,although it looks like skill more that luck !!!!!! nice job ,,

Murphs205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 07:03 AM   #262
Murphs205
gotta love saltwater.....

Thats way , way cool .....good luck ,,although it looks like skill more that luck !!!!!! nice job ,,

Murphs205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 08:49 PM   #263
yrema
Lounger

splendid! hats off to you, vitor! really inspiring! thanks for sharing. wish i could have one too, that would save me lots of $$$ from electic bills. keep it coming!

Marty, Amery and Seth :)

Current Tank Info: 100gal Low-tech, Low-cost Mixed Reef
yrema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2007, 07:40 AM   #264
talon4x4
Registered Member

I'm sure your words and pics cannot truly describe how beautiful the tank is. I just can't imagine how much better it must be in person!! Great job Vitor!!!

talon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2007, 01:24 PM   #265
conorwynne
Registered Member

Think I want to move to Portugal now, love the tank.
Should we not be calling it a pond though?

I wish the weather in Ireland would let me do something similar, the summer months would be fine, but winter would make the electricity bills sky-rocket. My only option would be via solatubes - something I have considered (but not acted on) for some time.

More pics please. ;-0

Current Tank Info: New tank in progress....
conorwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2007, 02:57 PM   #266
vitor pestana
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by conorwynne
Think I want to move to Portugal now, love the tank.
Should we not be calling it a pond though?

I wish the weather in Ireland would let me do something similar, the summer months would be fine, but winter would make the electricity bills sky-rocket. My only option would be via solatubes - something I have considered (but not acted on) for some time.

More pics please. ;-0
Hello conorwynne.

If you have about 20.000 lx (Sunlight intensity) throughout the year, you can have a tank just like this, the only problem is the cold winter, but if you have a fine layer of air betewen the top glass and the water and some isoleted material in the top glass throughout the night time, you should not have a problem.

The watts neded to heat up the water would be just the same like if the tank was at home.

Never the last i recomend you that to make a test with a underground tank before you tempt the real thing.

Regards

Vitor Pestana

Unread 06/17/2007, 09:28 PM   #267
nathenvan
Registered Member

MASTERPIECE :-)

Current Tank Info: Nuvo 10 SPS
nathenvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2007, 08:47 PM   #268
JJ21
Registered Member.

awesome, just awesome. But i must say that i am quite jealous

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon biocube, LPS dominated.
JJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2007, 09:10 AM   #269
Jebo
Registered Member

This is really great! Next to the real thing...(of course, still with the help of modern technology)...it's like having a "mini-sea" in your backyard! Now, if we could just have some waves...

Jebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2007, 07:45 PM   #270
edwinn
Registered Member

IS THAT TRUE direct sunlight going to your tank gives a algae problem

edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2007, 12:51 AM   #271
Rafiq
Registered Member

Hi Edwinn,

I think what is true is that if your tank has high nutrient levels combined with any strong light, you will have an algae problem.

Regards,
Rafiq

Rafiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2007, 08:35 AM   #272
vitor pestana
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwinn
IS THAT TRUE direct sunlight going to your tank gives a algae problem
Hi edwinn

Just lik Rafiq said, the sunligth Vs algae issue it's a mith, you only get algae if you have a high nutrient level, the same thing happens with T5/HQI associated to a heavy nutrient level.

Regards

Vitor Pestana

Unread 06/22/2007, 07:13 AM   #273
vitor pestana
Registered Member

Hi Guys!

The Luxmeter as arrive.

This way i can really pinpoint the amount of light.

Direct sunlight:

100 x 1010 = 101.000 lux, it's way too much light.

Now in the shadow:

444 x 100 = 44.400 Lux and the corals are doing fine.

I think that the right amount of light so the colors became more intense is between 50.000 and 60.000 Lux,higher this number the corals get sunburn.

This is the ammount of light for this kind of system, if i didn't had the top glass, i'm sure that the light should have more difficult to get inside the tank because of the water mirror of the surface.

All the best

Vitor Pestana

Unread 06/22/2007, 07:42 AM   #274
Reefski's
Registered Member

i don't think the light is reflected off the water any more or less because of the glass. think about the ocean. the glass blocks the light.

Carl

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2007, 08:10 AM   #275
2frosty4u
Registered Member

I just sat here and read every post in this thread on all 11 pages and was truly impressed with what you have accomplished, Keep up the great work and updates. I was wondering about your DIY Chiller. The Refrigeration part I understand but, what did you do to make the heat exchanger portion of the system. Since saltwater is so corrosive what did you use and how did you build it? I have friends that are refrigeration technicians and I would like to build my own but I can't seem to figure out a good way to construct a heat exchanger that wont fail or cause problems with the tank occupants. Any help or advice would be appreciated Vitor.