Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2016, 07:22 PM   #1
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Which BK skimmer for 360g?

Hello everyone! I'm in the process of upgrading my skimmer, and while I'm contempt with my skimmer, I just hate having to clean it, due to the fact that I can't get to certain areas of the body. I see the double cone is accessible to every nook and cranny being that you're able to take it apart completely. Not sure about the supermarin!!
With that in mind... Which skimmer would you recommend for my size tank? I have approximately 370ish gallons of total water volume. 22 total fish, with 11 of them being tangs. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAKTEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 07:55 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKTEK View Post
Hello everyone! I'm in the process of upgrading my skimmer, and while I'm contempt with my skimmer, I just hate having to clean it, due to the fact that I can't get to certain areas of the body. I see the double cone is accessible to every nook and cranny being that you're able to take it apart completely. Not sure about the supermarin!!
With that in mind... Which skimmer would you recommend for my size tank? I have approximately 370ish gallons of total water volume. 22 total fish, with 11 of them being tangs. TIA!

Like the Double Cone, the Supermarin is easily cleaned inside and out and they both come completely apart too. What's your display size? These skimmers are very conservatively rated and sizing should be based on the display size and not the total system volume since the loads are generated in the display where as our sumps and refugiums contribute to load reduction by removing nutrients. Your best bet will likely be the Double Cone 250 or Supermarin 200. There is also the Deluxe 200 that would work too. The Double Cone will be the least expensive option and is a terrific skimmer. It can wet skim and dry skim extremely well. The Supermarin is made of heavier material and has subtle differences in the design. It's a terrific wet skimmer. Then there is the Deluxe. Like the SM, it's made of heavier material. It's the "flagship" model within the Bubble King line. It's designed to wet skim and dry skim. All 3 of these models share the RD3 speedy pump which allows fine tuning in very small increments. The 200 sized skimmer run best between 28 and 32 watts. The 250 sized skimmers such as the Double Cone 250 runs best between 36 and 38 watts. All fo these skimmers are pretty much silent. The nozzles pop right off the pumps so if you need to clean the venturi port, you don't need to remove the pump from the sump making basic maintenance a breeze. The pumps are easily disassembled for routine maintenance and the silcone hose that connects the pump to the skimmer body make removing the pump for cleaning simple as you don't need to take the skimmer body out of your sump.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2016, 05:28 AM   #3
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Like the Double Cone, the Supermarin is easily cleaned inside and out and they both come completely apart too. What's your display size? These skimmers are very conservatively rated and sizing should be based on the display size and not the total system volume since the loads are generated in the display where as our sumps and refugiums contribute to load reduction by removing nutrients. Your best bet will likely be the Double Cone 250 or Supermarin 200. There is also the Deluxe 200 that would work too. The Double Cone will be the least expensive option and is a terrific skimmer. It can wet skim and dry skim extremely well. The Supermarin is made of heavier material and has subtle differences in the design. It's a terrific wet skimmer. Then there is the Deluxe. Like the SM, it's made of heavier material. It's the "flagship" model within the Bubble King line. It's designed to wet skim and dry skim. All 3 of these models share the RD3 speedy pump which allows fine tuning in very small increments. The 200 sized skimmer run best between 28 and 32 watts. The 250 sized skimmers such as the Double Cone 250 runs best between 36 and 38 watts. All fo these skimmers are pretty much silent. The nozzles pop right off the pumps so if you need to clean the venturi port, you don't need to remove the pump from the sump making basic maintenance a breeze. The pumps are easily disassembled for routine maintenance and the silcone hose that connects the pump to the skimmer body make removing the pump for cleaning simple as you don't need to take the skimmer body out of your sump.

Thank you for all the info! My tank is 360g,
Dimensions are 8x3x2.

Unread 10/05/2016, 09:04 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for all the info! My tank is 360g,
Dimensions are 8x3x2.

For a 360 gallon display, the Double Cone 250 would be the most practical option and would be a very consistent skimmer. The SM200 and Deluxe 200 would both be suitable options as well. Tough call but any of those 3 choices would work great for your system.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 10/05/2016, 07:38 PM   #5
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:
For a 360 gallon display, the Double Cone 250 would be the most practical option and would be a very consistent skimmer. The SM200 and Deluxe 200 would both be suitable options as well. Tough call but any of those 3 choices would work great for your system.

I appreciate all your help. Really excited, now that it's clear of which skimmer is best for my tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 10/05/2016, 07:45 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I appreciate all your help. Really excited, now that it's clear of which skimmer is best for my tank.

Which ever you decide to go with, I can promise you, you will be THRILLED! The quality and performance is second to none. I owned a Bubble King long before I got involved with Royal Exclusiv. I've owned every conceivable skimmer design over the last 30 years of being in this hobby and the Bubble Kings are by far my favorite. They perform better than any skimmers I've owned, are much quieter and use a fraction of the power of any comparable skimmer. When you get that skimmer, you will understand the quality from the moment you pull it out of the box. Please post pictures and your throughts when you get it.

Unread 10/05/2016, 07:47 PM   #7
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:
Which ever you decide to go with, I can promise you, you will be THRILLED! The quality and performance is second to none. I owned a Bubble King long before I got involved with Royal Exclusiv. I've owned every conceivable skimmer design over the last 30 years of being in this hobby and the Bubble Kings are by far my favorite. They perform better than any skimmers I've owned, are much quieter and use a fraction of the power of any comparable skimmer. When you get that skimmer, you will understand the quality from the moment you pull it out of the box. Please post pictures and your throughts when you get it.

I definitely will! Thanks again.

Unread 10/07/2016, 03:45 PM   #8
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:

I think I'm sold on the double cone 250. I saw they have two types of pumps for this skimmer, and wasn't sure which one would be best. Could you give me more info on them? Which pump would you recommend? Thank you!

Unread 10/07/2016, 03:50 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I think I'm sold on the double cone 250. I saw they have two types of pumps for this skimmer, and wasn't sure which one would be best. Could you give me more info on them? Which pump would you recommend? Thank you!

There is only one pump that is available for the new Double Cone 250's and that is the RD3. The original was the standard AC Red Dragon pump and I would take the RD3 over the original Red Dragon any day. The original Red Dragon was a great pump but the RD3 is by far the best skimmer pump ever made. It provides a level of fine tuning control via it's variable speeds and a level of air to water balance that no other skimmer even comes close to. If you are buying a new Double Cone 250 from Exclusiv or one of our authorized resellers, you will get the latest and greatest version with the RD3 pump.

Unread 10/07/2016, 03:57 PM   #10
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:
There is only one pump that is available for the new Double Cone 250's and that is the RD3. The original was the standard AC Red Dragon pump and I would take the RD3 over the original Red Dragon any day. The original Red Dragon was a great pump but the RD3 is by far the best skimmer pump ever made. It provides a level of fine tuning control via it's variable speeds and a level of air to water balance that no other skimmer even comes close to. If you are buying a new Double Cone 250 from Exclusiv or one of our authorized resellers, you will get the latest and greatest version with the RD3 pump.

Very cool! I did see some online vendors selling the skimmers with the Red Dragon pump, so that's why I was a little undecided. Thanks for clearing that up!

Unread 10/07/2016, 09:02 PM   #11
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Very cool! I did see some online vendors selling the skimmers with the Red Dragon pump, so that's why I was a little undecided. Thanks for clearing that up!

They most likely just haven't updated their pictures or specs for the skimmers to reflect the latest specifications. That or they didn't remove the old models.

Unread 10/07/2016, 09:05 PM   #12
SAKTEK
Registered Member

I see! I really appreciate all the help and info. Pics coming soon.

Unread 10/09/2016, 09:08 PM   #13
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:
They most likely just haven't updated their pictures or specs for the skimmers to reflect the latest specifications. That or they didn't remove the old models.

I'll most likely be placing my order in this week, but I was thinking... If I buy the supermarin 250, would that be too big for my tank? Reason I ask, maybe in the near future I might be getting a frag tank inline with my DT. In the meantime, would the skimmer still perform optimal with just the volume of water I have?

Unread 10/09/2016, 09:52 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I'll most likely be placing my order in this week, but I was thinking... If I buy the supermarin 250, would that be too big for my tank? Reason I ask, maybe in the near future I might be getting a frag tank inline with my DT. In the meantime, would the skimmer still perform optimal with just the volume of water I have?

The SM250 will be pretty oversized for your currently display unless you have a really heavy load. I have a SM250 on my system. My display is 480 gallons with over 60 fish. 10 of which are over 8". I feed 3x a day and the nightly feeding is a very heavy one. My system is around 680 gallons total volume. My SM250 barely has to work and could support MUCH more load. You would need an awful lot of fish in a 360 gallon tank to keep it consistent. If you are planning on upgrading in the not so distant future, then you could go with the SM250 but you will need to run it wet in the interim to keep it consistent. Remember, it's not so much about the display size. It's about the load. While it's rated at a minimum tank size of 250ish gallons, that is 250 gallons with a really heavy load. Think 1/2" of fish per gallon (a heavy load) which is a lot of fish and much more than people realize when they consider what a heavy load is. These skimmers are very conservatively rated so even a skimmer like the Double Cone 250 can easily handle more than it's rated tank size depending on the load.

Unread 10/09/2016, 09:54 PM   #15
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:
The SM250 will be pretty oversized for your currently display. I have a SM250 on my system. The dispaly is 480 gallons with over 60 fish. 10 of which are over 8". My system is around 680 gallons. My SM250 barely has to work and could support MUCH more load. You would need an awful lot of fish in a 360 gallon tank to keep it consistent. If you are planning on upgrading in the not so distant future, then you could go with the SM250 but you will need to run it wet. Remember, it's not so much about the display size. It's about the load. While it's rated at a minimum tank size of 250ish gallons, that is 250 gallons with a really heavy load. Think 1/2" of fish per gallon which is a lot of fish. These skimmers are very conservatively rated so even a skimmer like the Double Cone 250 can easily handle more than it's rated tank size depending on the load.

Thank you! Double cone it is then.

Unread 10/12/2016, 09:54 PM   #16
biecacka
Registered Member

I run a double cone 200 on my 240 with 30 fish. 5 tangs, foxface, and many other fish. Like Scott, I feed somewhat heavy and my skimmer also hardly has to work. I get 1/2 skimmer cup full a week or so. I could maybe run it wetter but I'm content with it for now. I have 7-10 nitrates in the tank. Could be adding more fish in the tank because I know the skimmer can keep up easily.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 10:45 AM   #17
SAKTEK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
I run a double cone 200 on my 240 with 30 fish. 5 tangs, foxface, and many other fish. Like Scott, I feed somewhat heavy and my skimmer also hardly has to work. I get 1/2 skimmer cup full a week or so. I could maybe run it wetter but I'm content with it for now. I have 7-10 nitrates in the tank. Could be adding more fish in the tank because I know the skimmer can keep up easily.

Corey

Thank you for the info! I decided on the double cone 250.

Unread 10/13/2016, 11:35 AM   #18
biecacka
Registered Member

You will love the skimmer!!!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote