Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2018, 05:09 AM   #1151
homer1475
Registered Member

For a mobile setup, I would do 80/20. It will be easier to disassemble and way lighter to haul.

May be more expensive to build, but I would think the advantages would far outweigh the cost.

700$ in corals at a frag swap, I would think thats a decent haul. Heck I can't even keep corals alive long enough to frag lately. lol

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 05:22 AM   #1152
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
For a mobile setup, I would do 80/20. It will be easier to disassemble and way lighter to haul.

May be more expensive to build, but I would think the advantages would far outweigh the cost.

700$ in corals at a frag swap, I would think thats a decent haul. Heck I can't even keep corals alive long enough to frag lately. lol
Was hoping for well over a grand. I let some go that were 100 corals for like 25 bucks just to get some cash. Is what it is and I should know the crowd better for the next one. Also look more professional at next one with actual setup too.

For transport to swaps I'd only take the light rails homer. The other tank would stay at home on the stand. I just need the tank plumbed in to be on casters so I can move to get to my side of tank, electronics cabinet, and chiller when needed.

And because pics rule here is some of the fire I had at the swap....

First 2 pics are same coral under different lighting

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 05:37 AM   #1153
cincyjim
Registered Member

Glad to hear it well for you! Those are some nice corals for sure!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 05:42 AM   #1154
cincyjim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
It was an ok weekend. I went to a local type of hobbyist show and as such people wanted cheaper frags. I was next to a vendor selling 10 to 20 dollar frags which hurt me a bit. Sure I had the color and such but it was what it was.

All that said I sold half of what I took, made roughly 700 bucks, and have placed the order for BAO grow out and frag swap tanks. Should be here in December.

My local LFS has about 500+ worth of my frags in the shop and I have roughly 500 in credit with him so I'll get my radion xr15 g4 pro there. Also going to snag the aquatic life hybrid fixture so I can have a mix of t5 and led on the grow out tank. When I go to a swap I'll just take the radion with me most likely. Undecided on that one though.

I need to think about both a stand and a light bracket. Likely just do 80/20 aluminum for the light bracket so I can take to shows as well. For the stand undecided if i do 80/20 or if I go wood route. Either way it will need to be on casters so I can move if necessary

This is a lot of work but the fun and interaction with other people must be rewarding... especially when they are buying the frags that you took the time and effort to raise. I imagine you'll have the set up and routine down pretty good soon.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
Unread 10/17/2018, 06:27 AM   #1155
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
This is a lot of work but the fun and interaction with other people must be rewarding... especially when they are buying the frags that you took the time and effort to raise. I imagine you'll have the set up and routine down pretty good soon.
Yeah this one was a bit tough as I was scrambling for stuff and had to borrow a tank, light fixture, and transport system for corals.

The next one I'll have down. I also work with my lfs to ensure I order in some cheap stuff that tends to move more easily. I will balance then out with my higher end sps making high margin.

Was a bit of a slap in the face with some people though who think they should get a nicely colored named piece for 30 bucks. A lot of time, effort, and money goes into the grow out.

Regardless I'll be ready for the next one which for me is likely in Jan. I need to get setup and allow some of my stock to regrow. I'll be ordering in various items as well including new corals to grow out.

I do have 2 frags of jf bug out stylo coming so I can keep one for myself and grow out the other

Unread 10/22/2018, 12:45 PM   #1156
soulpatch
Registered Member

got the frags and picked up a mandarin though he was more of a save then pickup as he was very thin. Not sure he made it in the tank as I have not seen him since. I had wanted a mandarin again and saw this one knowing I had a ton of pods maybe I could save it but dont think it has happened.

Picked up a few odds and ends for my tank and of course as I am looking to upgrade some things decided to take a nose dive for me. My calrx is currently down. Not only do I need to swap out the rollers on my spectrapure litermeter (got 18 months out of those plastic rollers which I think is amazing) but my circ pump on the vertex has taken a dive. I did not know it when I bought the Vertex reactor that the pump had a special fitting glued to the one end. I thought I could swap out the pumps as needed. This is a critical design flaw and the speed of getting replacement pumps is horribly slow. NOT a fan at the moment as those types of items are so critical to keep stability. I am not down to manual dosing as needed until I can get operational again. I am hopeful that the pump just needs a good cleaning and I will be breaking it down tonight but the sounds it was making does not leave a ton of faith in that resolution.

Unread 11/18/2018, 07:03 PM   #1157
soulpatch
Registered Member

Tank is running full bore at moment. Water change and cleaning today. All equipment has been cleaned save for 2 power heads that will be done next weekend. Added some corals (mainly acans) and some fish. My frag tanks should be getting built and to me soon. I did get in the lighting and now trying to decide on what power head I will use for it as well as stand options.

I'll figure out plumbing when it gets here. Thinking about upgrading my return potentially to be able to better power everything off my manifold else I'll need an additional pump to feed the frag tank.

December will be big for me but LOTS of traveling in store. Just got back from London and needing to travel every week in December to prep for a big 2019.

And now some pics....

Unread 11/19/2018, 08:34 AM   #1158
cincyjim
Registered Member

Sounds like things are going well for you and you'll have a fun build coming soon Just curious, since you travel a lot, do you have a cam for the tank and sump? I don't so the reason I'm asking is when I go out of town it would be nice to be able to check on thing visually.

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:24 AM   #1159
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like things are going well for you and you'll have a fun build coming soon Just curious, since you travel a lot, do you have a cam for the tank and sump? I don't so the reason I'm asking is when I go out of town it would be nice to be able to check on thing visually.
Yes. I have an amcrest that pans and zooms. I'll leave a door open on stand and if gone for a while I'll put a secondary tank with a pump that I can use to refill my ato bin.

Most of my travel though is for work and as such the wife is home to handle my tank.

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:56 AM   #1160
cincyjim
Registered Member

I think I've seen that name mentioned for being a good cam. I'll have to look into those since you seem satisfied with it.

Unread 11/19/2018, 12:02 PM   #1161
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
I think I've seen that name mentioned for being a good cam. I'll have to look into those since you seem satisfied with it.
I like the mobile interface and ability to pan/tilt/zoom as needed. So for instance in my ato I leave some blue rodi tubing to float so I can see level better. I will zoom in on that while I turn on the ato refill pump and watch level rose before shitting off pump. Ability to pan over and tilt down to the container is a life saver for that added detail.

Unread 11/19/2018, 12:13 PM   #1162
cincyjim
Registered Member

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Do you recall the model number by chance?

Unread 11/19/2018, 12:46 PM   #1163
mav3rick478
Registered Member

We use the setup they sold at Costco for our shop across the street at work. Works great to check on printers and employees

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 07:29 PM   #1164
soulpatch
Registered Member

Dunno model cindy. Just look for the 1080p amcrest. They are all about same now.

As for tank upgrades.... did a little shopping today and a GHL doser and KH director is now coming my way. Going to finally know my levels ams keep things in check. Was at a buddies house who has an 800 gallon tank this weekend some pics attached and he has one and loves it so pretty excited to get it in and set up.

Unread 11/20/2018, 05:02 AM   #1165
cincyjim
Registered Member

Wow that's a nice tank! So jealous...

Unread 11/20/2018, 05:21 AM   #1166
homer1475
Registered Member

Yes very nice tank indeed!

Unread 11/20/2018, 05:58 AM   #1167
soulpatch
Registered Member

He could have paid cash for a ferrari almost twice over for all he has in and on that tank

Unread 11/20/2018, 06:32 AM   #1168
homer1475
Registered Member

Out of curiosity, how does he keep corals with at least 3 triggers I could see, and several butterfly's?

Unread 11/20/2018, 07:22 AM   #1169
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Out of curiosity, how does he keep corals with at least 3 triggers I could see, and several butterfly's?
He has a large holding tank in the back room that is plumbed into his display. He has just about every coral in the display also in that tank as larger frags and such. He will put new fish out if qt into there and watch them for weeks to see if they damage anything before they go into the main tank. His clown trigger for instance was his 8th he ordered in before he found one that complied.

He also feeds like 8 times a day so no real reason for them to forage. There is also no clean up crew in the tank k given the fish would eat them all...

Unread 11/22/2018, 10:02 PM   #1170
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

I am extremely amazed I found this thread when i did. I am ordering a 150 from SC with the synergy shadow overflow tomorrow on black friday deal with the wood stand and was looking for ideas how to set up. Lots of similarities in what i have been thinking, and a lot of new ideas! Thanks for the information my friend!

I am planning on trying my hand at a herbie overflow. Never have had one before, so its completely new to me. Is it pretty easy to get a grasp on?

Xxxtremewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 03:40 AM   #1171
soulpatch
Registered Member

If your tank will have the synergy overflow you will be doing Bean animal drain.

Unread 12/18/2018, 05:47 AM   #1172
soulpatch
Registered Member

Sorry for delays but my tanks are on the way and 80/20 stand ordered as well.

Tanks should be here Thursday with stand shortly behind. I likely wont have either set up till early next year given my current traveling schedule and the holidays but excited nonetheless.

Have a show in January that I will utilize my frag tank and transport for as well as my lighting.

Still undecided on plumbing. Not sure I have much more out of my sp6 but I'm going to try initially. Need to get ANOTHER EB8 for this as well so I can link in my frag tank. Likely mount to underside of the stand just in case I want to move frag tank location or get to things I have easier access.

Unread 12/18/2018, 11:33 AM   #1173
mav3rick478
Registered Member

I might have an EB8 that I'm not using, I'll check when I get home tonight.

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 11:54 AM   #1174
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick478 View Post
I might have an EB8 that I'm not using, I'll check when I get home tonight.

That would be awesome

Unread 12/23/2018, 11:04 PM   #1175
soulpatch
Registered Member

So these arrived yesterday and more goodies on Monday are coming...(hopefully Tuesday as well if wife shopped my list)

BAO transport, frag tank, and grow out. You can also see my t5 hybrid in background waiting...