Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2012, 05:05 PM   #1
grafspee1217
Registered Member

Protein Skimmer Operation

Hi everyone, I have set up my salt water tank and currently have it cycling. I have a question concerning the protein skimmer. I purchased a SC65 skimmer from Ebay based on the positive reviews here. I looks like a Bubble Magus skimmer. I turned on the skimmer and it immediately overflowed the skimmer cup. I turned down the flow to 0 and it foams up pretty bad, the cup fills in about an hour. I noticed that it dumps tons of micro bubbles into the compartment that it sits in. I have baffles in my sump but the microbubbles go right through the baffles and into the pump which then gets pumped into the tank. Is this due to the fact that the tank is cycling? I thought the water that flows through the skimmer is returned back to the sump without bubbles. Help

grafspee1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2012, 05:17 PM   #2
L8ndeb
Registered Reef Keeper

Take a look at this mod:

http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/sh...php?p=20206619

Current Tank Info: Custom 200 gal reef cube with a 20 gal sump, 2 AI SOL LED Fixtures, Super Reef Octopus skimmer, custom made calcium reactor, Apex Lite controller with various modules.
L8ndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2012, 07:00 PM   #3
grafspee1217
Registered Member

I did that mod already

grafspee1217 is offline   Reply With Quote