Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2011, 10:33 PM   #1
A_Z
Registered Member

Question Oddball Seahorses

so I was looking at different color variations and quite liked the pinto seahorses or oddballs by seahorse corral.com

my question is do these change color as they wish too? if yes how would I encourage the unique spots?

also is a trio of female erectus too much for a RSM 34g with no other fish tankmates?

thanks

A_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2011, 06:15 AM   #2
Molehs
the H is silent

I'm going out on a limb and say that you may be disappointed once the horse settles on colors in your tank. One of the horses I picked from Peka had a a lot of markings on her.

But in my system she has settled on mostly tan colors and so her markings are typically not really visible.

As for the water volume you really want to have no less than 15g per H. Erectus. And the more water the better. The closer your ratio of water to horse is the higher amount of maintenance you have to do. For instance I have 4 H. Erectus in ma system of 150g and lots of macro and live rock. I've never changed water based on the build up of nitrates, etc. as I've always shown just about 0. I do 10% water changes every 2-3 weeks just because I feel I SHOULD. As well the more water you have the more stable the tank/system would likely be.

Unread 10/22/2011, 07:29 AM   #3
amazo
Registered Member

You have to hand pick one with spots, my yellow Kuda has some nice big spots/strips/splotches that show well no matter what color she is my smaller not so vibrant one not so much.

amazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2011, 10:21 PM   #4
capecoral
Registered Member

So they are cameleons?

capecoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2011, 08:45 AM   #5
amazo
Registered Member

Nope they are seahorse a cameleon is a type of lizard (lol jk), yes like a cameleon they do change color but not necessarily for camoflage.

amazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2011, 09:39 AM   #6
rayjay
Registered Member

IMO, like chameleons, they DO change colour mostly as they see fit to camouflage themselves. However, they also change colours when doing the "mating" dance we love to see. Maybe they have some peacock in them as well.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote