Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/05/2015, 06:07 AM   #1
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Mantis id please? :) looks to be a spearer

The pic is here: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/5152955442.html

I am going to go as soon as they open and hope it's still there! Slapping myself for not noticing the pic sooner...

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2015, 06:08 AM   #2
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Lol and it came right as I was thinking about setting up Rogers new tank today! So if possible, the new one can go in the biocube

Unread 08/05/2015, 06:15 AM   #3
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Omg this is it isn't it? http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...l_glabriuscula

I'm going to cry...

Unread 08/05/2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Kharn
MANTISMAN

It's an L.maculata.

EDIT: And it's a male.

Unread 08/05/2015, 07:03 AM   #5
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Thanks ...wish it would have been a smaller species.

Last edited by Hadla; 08/05/2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Stupid iphone
Unread 08/05/2015, 07:11 AM   #6
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Ok I can work this out... I'll put roger in his new tank, the zebra temporarily in the biocube (6 months at the most/sometime after Christmas)then once I can move the puffers out of their 29g(with Christmas money), the zebra can have that tank to himself? Or would it be too small still? :/

Unread 08/05/2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I wouldn't go any smaller...

Giant Zebra Spearer L.mac's are pretty dang tough...but I also THINK (and don't hold me to this) that L.mac's (and maybe other species of Stomatopod) can shrink/stunt their growth in smaller tanks...

I remember Dr.Caldwell either talking to me in PMs or another thread a while ago about how he recorded events where his L.mac's would not get to that max recorded size of 400mm and that at times after molts they would even shrink (hardly noticeable though).

One of the reasons I am giving my 2 special individuals much larger tanks is to hopefully prevent this (80gals each), I do know that it never affected my giant smasher O.scyllarus as it attained maximum size by time of death.

I know my L.mac Leviathan was no where NEAR max size for a couple reasons specifically when I came to where I am now and saw first hand what a TRUE GIANT spearer L.mac could get to and I personally believe they can get over 400mm if not closer to 600mm just from the sheer FREAKS I have seen...which put mine to shammeee.

Unread 08/05/2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Wow. I'd love to see some that big! So you think a 29g would be fine for one? From the looks of the pic, I'd say it's around three inches right now... Won't know for sure for another four hours. If they even still have it...

Unread 08/05/2015, 09:36 AM   #9
Kharn
MANTISMAN

IMO I'd say its closer to 6inchs from that pic...still hard to tell though.

It will take a LONG time for it to grow larger none the less...

Which is why I am only going to be buying off the bat the biggest single male I can find and luckily for me due to where I am, I can siphon through a thousand of them and hand pick the biggest n baddest of them all!

Which also makes possible pairs a LOT easier, if I do pair the male up...or even get an L.mac...because I have seen other individuals like L.lisa that are more personally appealing to me and still freakishly large.

Unread 08/05/2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Long as in years? two more hours to go!

Unread 08/05/2015, 10:17 AM   #11
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
luckily for me due to where I am, I can siphon through a thousand of them and hand pick the biggest n baddest of them all!
Where are you? Is gonodak some country I've never heard of or something?

Unread 08/05/2015, 12:26 PM   #12
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

He was sold on Sunday I hope whoever bought him takes good care of him

Unread 08/05/2015, 03:22 PM   #13
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

L. macs can be kept in small tanks, the challenge is getting a tank tall enough to support their 1.5xlength=height sandbed. (roughly 22" TALL sandbed for a 15 long L. mac.)

I was under the assumption from recent studies (not by roy) that fish/anything do not grow, but their insides do causing inflammation and problems when kept in smaller systems. Whether or not Roy has confirmed this theory recently or hasn't looked into the internal damage on the animal is unknown.

Unread 08/05/2015, 06:42 PM   #14
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
L. macs can be kept in small tanks, the challenge is getting a tank tall enough to support their 1.5xlength=height sandbed. (roughly 22" TALL sandbed for a 15 long L. mac.)

I was under the assumption from recent studies (not by roy) that fish/anything do not grow, but their insides do causing inflammation and problems when kept in smaller systems. Whether or not Roy has confirmed this theory recently or hasn't looked into the internal damage on the animal is unknown.
Giant spearers do NOT need DSBs the majority of Dr. Caldwells were kept in long PVC pipes.

Unread 08/05/2015, 07:18 PM   #15
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadla View Post
Long as in years?
Yes, I did not see much noticeable growth over the years I kept mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadla View Post
Where are you? Is gonodak some country I've never heard of or something?
Gonodak is my creation kind of like 'Atlantis' but for Stomatopods not humans/atlanteans...

Unread 08/05/2015, 09:12 PM   #16
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Oh ok lol