Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2008, 01:57 AM   #1
reefer31
Registered Member

150 DE with sps????

Hello everyone, im pretty sure what you all are going to say but here I go :P. First off the specs of the future tank, its a 90 aga 48/18/24 inches. Now, because of electrical issues I probably will not be able to go with 2-250 DE MH. But instead i could go with 2-150 DE 10 k with supplements hanging pretty close to the water like around 4-6 inches off the water(kinda iffy to me atm). As the forum title states, my tank will be sps dominated. Will I have problems with clams/sps near the bottom? It seems to me that everyone goes way overboard with lighting that its hard to tell what will be good lol. I have also been looking into t5 fixtures like the ati powermod 6 bulb or the aquaticnic constellation 7bulb to compensate for the issue with my breaker. And before anyone can post about telling me to just get another breaker, its a condo so I cant . Any info on the t5 or the MH combo that I have stated would be greatly appreciated because this issue has been bugging me for some time now. Thanks and sorry for the long post

reefer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 08:17 PM   #2
reefer31
Registered Member

anyone??

Unread 04/29/2008, 08:38 PM   #3
kzoo
Registered Member

I run 2 150mh and 4 bulb t5s on my 65 it is same measurments exept it's 36in long. Haven't tryed acros or clams near the sand but every thing grows well.

kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Wow, that tank looks very sweet! What is that coral to the right of the clownfish?

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 10:10 PM   #5
ahullsb
Registered Member

Nanook I think you are referring to the Favia. It's the same coral as in my avatar. Reefer31, I have 2 150's with 4 t5 actinics over my 55 and I get great growth, all the way to the bottom. I have a few sps pieces that are sitting near the sandbed and they are growing as well. I haven't taken a picture for a few months, but here is a before and after shot in about a 6 month period.

Photobucket

Photobucket
actinics only
Here is a before and after about 12 months apart under the 150 watt halides. I used 10k's for months but switched to 14's and am still observing good growth. I think your setup will be fine!
Photobucket
Well I can't find a individual current one. But this was 2 months ago. The green birdsnest in the bottom left corner is about the size of the tort when I bought it.
Photobucket

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
ahullsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 10:12 PM   #6
ahullsb
Registered Member

Oops...I wrote tort when this is a staghorn. Always review your posts before posting...

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
Unread 04/29/2008, 10:49 PM   #7
mile sq. reefer
Registered Member

What 10ks were you using and do you have a pic with them on by themselves? Not to hijack the thread, sorry.

mile sq. reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 10:55 PM   #8
vangogh121
Moved On

use 10 k bulbs to keep the par up and you'll be fine, I would be concerned about the 4 to 6 inches... a little to close for my liking.

vangogh121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 11:02 PM   #9
ahullsb
Registered Member

I'll see if I can find a pic. I'm not sure what brand they were, they aren't labeled...maybe someone else can chime in. They are the bulbs that came with the current usa outer orbit fixture. I use Ushio 14k's now. Still a fairly white/yellow bulb in my opinion. I am considering going even bluer now that I have the growth I want.

Here is a pic with the 10k's and 4 t5 actinics. I never took a pic with just the halides...it would look terrible I imagine.
Photobucket
And a old whole tank shot...don't mind the soft coral forest. I took care of it.
Photobucket

Sacramento, CA

Unread 04/29/2008, 11:05 PM   #10
ahullsb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vangogh121
use 10 k bulbs to keep the par up and you'll be fine, I would be concerned about the 4 to 6 inches... a little to close for my liking.
I agree with that. As you can see in the full tank shots, my lights aren't even in the pic because they are a good 6-8 inches from the surface. I think that bulbs between 10k-14k would be a good choice if you want good growth. Check the Lighting section for stats on different bulbs

Sacramento, CA

Unread 04/29/2008, 11:48 PM   #11
mile sq. reefer
Registered Member

I use Pheonix 14ks now and really like them. The old stock bulbs are called sunpak. AB 10k's have a nice actinic spike and good full spectrum. They are close to 13k when not shielded and are around 10500k when shielded with a PAR of 54. From what I have heard from those running them in a Current fixture, 150w models, is that the light is a crisp white.
FTS 2x150w Pheonix HQI no supp's.
[IMG][/IMG]

mile sq. reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2008, 10:25 AM   #12
reefer31
Registered Member

Thanks guys for the info! Im probably going to go with the 2 150' and put them around 7inches off the water, ill make sure there is a fan blowing into the canopy also :P thanks again

Unread 04/30/2008, 10:25 AM   #13
reefer31
Registered Member

thats a big ol stag in that tank!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ahullsb
Nanook I think you are referring to the Favia. It's the same coral as in my avatar. Reefer31, I have 2 150's with 4 t5 actinics over my 55 and I get great growth, all the way to the bottom. I have a few sps pieces that are sitting near the sandbed and they are growing as well. I haven't taken a picture for a few months, but here is a before and after shot in about a 6 month period.

Photobucket

Photobucket
actinics only
Here is a before and after about 12 months apart under the 150 watt halides. I used 10k's for months but switched to 14's and am still observing good growth. I think your setup will be fine!
Photobucket
Well I can't find a individual current one. But this was 2 months ago. The green birdsnest in the bottom left corner is about the size of the tort when I bought it.
Photobucket