Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2018, 04:33 PM   #1
CharliesReef
Registered Member

NOPOX guidance please?

I’m first time NOPOX doser, but was using biopellets for last two years. I switched because the pellets were not as effective as they used to be and as my system grew in size (1200l) it was getting difficult to tumble the vast quantities! They were also uncontrollable and my nitrates and phosphates we’re slowly creeping up.

But been dosing NOPOX about 4 weeks and just wondering if this is right?

Week one: dosed at 1ml per 100l nothing happened no changes.
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 0.3ppm

Week two: dosed at 1.5ml per 100l and my skimmers went crazy and needed daily cleaning.
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.8ppm

Week three: dosed at 2ml per 100l skimmers settled down but with more skimmate than before NOPOX, really thick gunk...proud skimmate day! Lol
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 0.5ppm

Week four: same as week three
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 0.5ppm

Problem is my Nitrate and Phosphate are not changing much, still reading Phosphates 0.5 and Nitrate 5? When should it start dropping more? Could I have had a bit of old tank syndrome going on so it’s leeching back out or rocks and substrate? If so will it eventually reduce?

Should I run phosphate remover? Try a product designed to consume sludge?

Or just let it be as it’s early days?

Thanks everyone.

CharliesReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 06:42 PM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Are you experiencing algae issues? If not I would worry about dropping either levels any lower. Stick with the current dose as a maintenance dose.

Rocks will not soak nitrates and consequently leach them back. The substrate could be trapping nuisance nutrients but if you or the livestock haven't been disturbing it then rule that out as a source. Although it might not be a bad idea to vacuum it during water changes if possible. Not entirely necessary but it does help to keep clean.

A large water change can also quickly reduce nitrate but at 5ppm it takes a 50% change to get to 2.5 (not worth it imo).

If you don't have signs of algae I refer you to my opening statement.

Unread 02/05/2018, 07:12 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

Phosphate can leach out from live rock, but nitrate can only come from organics. You might need to wait some period of time, or increase the dose. I'd probably ramp up the dose at this point. There's a formula for DIY NOPOx if you're interested. It'll save some money.

Unread 02/06/2018, 04:27 AM   #4
CharliesReef
Registered Member

I dont have any algae, but tiny patch of red slime appeared shortly after starting NOPOX.

I have a sand bed which is undisturbed by me, although there is sand sifting star, conches, Nassarius/Dove/Turbo Snails species and 1000s of spaghetti worms, they literally dominate every cm of substrate. If it is disturbed by a wrasse occasionally diving in it kicks up ALOT of sediment but skimmers remove it within minutes. I’m still making my mind up on the substrate if I should remove it or not? If the organic are trapped it’s mostly in the substrate. ��

I’ll increase the dose, should I dose to 3ml per 100l till it’s reduced? Or more?

I’d be interested in the DIY NOPOX receipt thank you,

Thanks for reply’s really appreciate it.

Unread 02/06/2018, 05:37 AM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

How deep is the sand bed?

2 - 2.5 inches is sufficient. Deeper than that causes some issues of buildup. You'll be amazed of the results if you simply use a syphon to vacuum half during your next water change.

Unread 02/06/2018, 06:08 AM   #6
CharliesReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
How deep is the sand bed?

2 - 2.5 inches is sufficient. Deeper than that causes some issues of buildup. You'll be amazed of the results if you simply use a syphon to vacuum half during your next water change.
Over the years flow has made it few millimetres in places and up to 2-3 inches at the back behind rockwork. It’s not going to be possible to vaccume behind the rockwork I can only vacumme the front and sides. It’s a problem.

Unread 02/06/2018, 06:48 AM   #7
RobZilla04
Registered Member

In that case slowly increase the dose as suggested by others. Just monitor the levels and keep an eye out for any new issues.

Unread 02/06/2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Superpuma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Phosphate can leach out from live rock, but nitrate can only come from organics. You might need to wait some period of time, or increase the dose. I'd probably ramp up the dose at this point. There's a formula for DIY NOPOx if you're interested. It'll save some money.
If ok l'd be interested in the DIY Nopox recipe. Is it accurate?

Superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 11:55 AM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

How coarse is the sand? Coarser substrates can trap a lot of debris, which can be an issue. I had to remove all my crushed coral for that reason.

Unread 02/06/2018, 11:59 AM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

DIY recipe:

To make a DIY version of Red Sea NO3:PO4-X, mix:
    375 ml 80 proof vodka
    500 ml vinegar (5% acetic acid)
    125 ml RO/DI water

It should be quite accurate except that NOPOx contains a bit of methanol, likely to make it undrinkable.

Last edited by bertoni; 02/06/2018 at 12:06 PM.
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 02:22 PM   #11
Superpuma
Registered Member

Thanks Jonathan, shall give it a go.
Mike

Superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 03:41 PM   #12
CharliesReef
Registered Member

I wish I could post photos, will work it out in a moment.

After a evening of crazy yoga poses with a tape measure and camera I found the deepest and darkest part of the sandbed and it’s only 1.75 inches not the 3 inches...whoops over estimating those inches! Lol
I used Reef Flowers Pearl White with grain size of 1mm to 1.5mm and Red Sea LiveReef Base Aragonite Sand White with Grain size: 0.25 - 1mm. So pretty fine. Critters certainly love it. So am I best leaving the substrate for now and let the NOPOX do its thing for at least month or Two?

I’m dosing 2.5ml per 100l now, using a auto doser so it’s set to go off almost every other hour.

That receipt looks great too! Thanks, going to work out way cheaper with tank this size.

Unread 02/06/2018, 04:25 PM   #13
CharliesReef
Registered Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139677...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139677...posted-public/

Testing if this works....

Unread 02/06/2018, 04:27 PM   #14
CharliesReef
Registered Member

https://flic.kr/p/FZAvTd

https://flic.kr/p/248Co8X

Unread 02/06/2018, 05:57 PM   #15
OldReefGuy
Registered Member

Is there a recommended dosage for this DIY recipe? i.e. 5ml for 100l? and Grain Vodka?

OldReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 07:18 PM   #16
bertoni
RC Mod

You could use the recommended dosing rate for vodka and multiply by 2.5 or so. That should be more than close enough.