Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: SO which one is it?! Vote now and polls will be open for 2 weeks!
Genesis Renew by Slief 1 33.33%
Water utility inline transfer system by kelrn98 1 33.33%
Indyman99 bucketless water change system 1 33.33%
Complete automated system by dartier 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2013, 12:24 PM   #51
SavingOurSeas
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger28 View Post
I meant your quote. Lol
Hey buddy, the quote stands true for everybody.
It is in fact, our quote
Be blessed my friend!

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/ac/feature/index.php

Current Tank Info: Newest project; 36g bow-front wall installation/Prepping the new 22'6" x 11'3'' aquatic room.
SavingOurSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2013, 12:43 PM   #52
Pastey
Registered Member

Haven't performed a WC on my new 200 yet but my system goes a little something like...

1. Drain RO/DI water into salt mixing barrel.
2. Add salt.
3. Turn on mixing pump for 24 hours.
4. Pump water out into 32g. Brute on wheels.
5. Using long hose, siphon water out of tank, out of window and into sewer drain at street.
6. Wheel Brute to edge of driveway, run hose from barrel to tank, plug in pump and refill tank.

It's not automated and it's surely not as easy as turning a few valves or pushing some buttons but it beats the crap out of carrying buckets!

Unread 09/19/2013, 08:21 PM   #53
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

I first siphon out detrius in my sand and sump which runs through my flooring straight into the basement drain. I then close one valve and open the other one which allows me to pump fresh saltwater back up to the tank through the same vinyl tubing that I use for siphoning the detrius. I mix saltwater in the right trash can and the left one is ro/di for my ATO.

Don't be fooled though, it still takes an hour to do water changes. I've still got to replace and rinse carbon, then replace and rinse GFO, then clean skimmer cup. But at least I don't have to lug buckets of water anymore.

uploadfromtaptalk1379643024048.jpguploadfromtaptalk1379643031882.jpguploadfromtaptalk1379643038339.jpguploadfromtaptalk1379643045194.jpg

Last edited by kupadupapupa; 09/19/2013 at 08:31 PM.
kupadupapupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2013, 08:36 PM   #54
brandon429
Registered Member.

I change more water per tank volume than any tank on this site using synthetic water while using the fewest minutes of total tank maintenance time per month

Do you know any tank here that has done 300+ 100% water changes (drained and changed new water all at once)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk8R3clElQ

I'm not saying a seven minute vid of a scratched up coral packed container is going to win any production accolades but this is exactly what has gone down since 2006 once sometimes twice a week if I want to feed heavy.

Ignore the strong chem being added thats only a few times a year this happened to be one time I was filming

Small tank=quick change

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2013, 10:18 AM   #55
sanchezz
Registered Member

So jealous of all these awesome setups. I siphon out 10gal/week and manually pour it back into the sump.

I'm totally going about it all wrong haha

sanchezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2013, 01:31 PM   #56
SavingOurSeas
Registered Member

Thumbs up Nice additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanger View Post
I like how you've taken the guess work out of several things while maintenancing your system.It seems like it would be plenty more enjoyable for you.
Thanks for sharing

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/ac/feature/index.php

Current Tank Info: Newest project; 36g bow-front wall installation/Prepping the new 22'6" x 11'3'' aquatic room.
SavingOurSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2013, 01:53 PM   #57
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanger View Post
Here's a post from my build thread that shows how I do my water changes.
Basically the "Drain, Wheel and Fill" method.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=108

Not really anything has changed; although I'd like to get a little bit larger pump to speed things up a bit.
I did basically the same thing with my 32g Brutes, marking the gallons directly onto the inner wall. Made life a whole lot easier, IMO.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2013, 04:23 AM   #58
kelrn98
Registered Member

I wish I had taken more photos of my build. My plumbing is behind water storage so it is difficult to photograph. I have 2 40g water storage containers connected to my RO/DI. One for saltwater storage & one for RO/DI. Fill the salt container with 40g RO water, add 20 cups of salt, turn on powerhead and heater via RKE controller and mix x 24 hours.

As far as the water change I use an inline utility water transfer pump and a combination of gate valves and PVC plumbed into my home drain line. I open valves on drainage side, turn on pump, remove approx 40g. Shut pump off, close drain valves, and open valves in line fro, water storage to DT, turn pump back on and pump 40g back in tank. Takes about 7-10 minutes. All I have is a pic of my water storage cuse the cluttered fish room. Here is a link to the pump I use. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-N...467228&sr=1-20

You can see some of the plumbing along the back wall in this pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 96x24x30 -300g mixed reef: 75g sump, 35g fuge, 2x MP60, 4x Radion Pros, reef octopus X5000 skimmer, way too much LR and a few fish
kelrn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2013, 12:48 PM   #59
dinger28
Registered Member

Any more water change methods?? One more day and then I'm going to poll everyone to see which one they like the best!

Matt

dinger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2013, 03:11 PM   #60
Hawkdl2
Mad Scientist

I haven't done a manual NSW change for almost 3 years. In fact, I don't have to participate in exchanges in any way - ever.

I have a NSW tank (Brute) in the garage about 90 linear feet of Apex control cable and 1/4" tubing away, an Apex controller, a peristaltic pump by the NSW supply and another pump near my DT, and some float switches. The system drains OSW to a bar sink drain about 20' away from my DT. The system automatically exchanges OSW with NSW several times per week - or as frequently as I want. It has worked flawlessly for years. All I do is make NSW every 2 or 3 months, or whenever my supply runs low. I almost figured out an automatic NSW making system, but I couldn't get the salt to stop clumping in the hopper.

Current Tank Info: 120g mixed reef.
Hawkdl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2013, 08:14 AM   #61
dinger28
Registered Member

The poll is officially up! Vote now for your favorite water change system! If your favorite wasn't on the poll, simply post it and let us know!

dinger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:05 PM   #62
oceanfan913
Registered Member

I do 20% manually with siphon and bucket every other week but the systems above are amazing!

oceanfan913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fowlr, reef, water change