Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2008, 01:39 PM   #1
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

anyone using TYREE's "TRIzonal" (cryptic) filtration method ???

he has some beautiful limited edition corals
available on his website (reeffarmers.com)... corals housed in systems employing his "trizonal" methods

and has written a book about using cryptic filtration
(CMAT Volume 1 Cryptic Sponge and Sea Squirt Filtration)... using sponges etc is supposed to eliminate the need for SKIMMING...

have been seeing more and more people getting interested in cryptic fuges bringing it up in threads/builds etc... and i really like the idea of using NATURAL filtration methods as much as possible!

is anyone employing these methods w/ any success?
(and finding they can go skimmerless???)

advice/recoms/insights ???

here is an old RC thread w/ TYREE participating in the discussion about this methods/book
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...threadid=27592

regards

K' Family Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Wrench
Registered Member

Tagging along for this one!

I have not and don't plan to go to his extent but I am working on propagating sponges in a calm area of my sump for this purpose.

Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2008, 03:49 PM   #3
seapug
Registered Member

It's a really great system if you have a large enough tank to set up that way. He wrote an article in the last issue of Coral magazine about it.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2008, 07:31 PM   #4
greenbean36191
Premium Member

Quote:
i really like the idea of using NATURAL filtration methods as much as possible!
Sponges and tunicates are no more natural filters than corals (actually they aren't even that good). Their function isn't at all analogous to a skimmer either.

Current Tank Info: tore them down to move and haven't had the time or money to set them back up
greenbean36191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2008, 09:51 PM   #5
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

greenbean36191
so your thoughts on using this method of filtration ???

regards

Unread 09/16/2008, 10:01 PM   #6
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Here's my opinion -

I understand how a refugium works - nutrients are bound up in biomass which is harvested and removed from the system. How exactly do these sponge filters work without harvest? Where does all this stuff go? If your not removing anything from the tank, isnt it still in there? Now if these sponges are growing and you harvest them, then I understand. But just because sponges are "filter-feeders," I dont think that makes them good filters for a tank.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 07:45 AM   #7
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

Unread 09/17/2008, 08:04 AM   #8
greenbean36191
Premium Member

Quote:
But just because sponges are "filter-feeders," I dont think that makes them good filters for a tank.
Exactly. Tyree's book has very little basis in real science. The basis for the method is ignorance of sponge and tunicate ecology. Yes, sponges and tunicates do tend to be more abundant in nature than in most tanks, but that doesn't mean that our tanks are suffering from their absence. These animals are competitors with corals for space and more importantly, food. Adding them to tanks doesn't fill any novel role.

Sponges and tunicates feed primarily on bacteria that coats POM and floating free in the water. This is also one of the major food sources of most corals, especially "SPS" (their only real food source in most tanks). The "cryptic" organism are providing nothing new there. As with fish or any other animal, the waste from that food gets turned into inorganic nitrogen (ammonia and eventually nitrate). Sponges and tunicates dump that ammonia right back into the water and they do it at rates comparable to or even greater than fish. Because of their zooxanthellae, corals cycle that nitrogen rather than sending it all out into the water. Much of it is retained and in some cases they can actually take in more nitrogen than they produce. Ironically, many sponges house symbiotic cyanobacteria that use much of the sponge's waste (though not at much as zooxanthellae), but these cyano are photosynthetic, so they're being culled in favor of the asymbiotic species by keeping them in a dark environment.

Another thing that annoys me is that people don't realize how toxic these animals really are. Sponges and tunicates, being sessile have to rely almost entirely on chemical defense to defend their space and protect themselves from predators. They make some of the nastiest chemicals in the sea. Chemicals from sponges are the basis for some anti-fouling paints and cell destroying-cancer drugs, because they're so effective at preventing the growth of other organisms, including corals. Many tunicates produce similar toxic compounds and most accumulate the heavy metal vanadium, which is also toxic. This is particularly worrying with tunicates because many species, particularly the fast growing colonial species, have programmed colony death meaning that large parts of the colony will suddenly and quickly die, regardless of the overall health of the colony. Anything accumulated in that part of the colony then goes back into the water.

Current Tank Info: tore them down to move and haven't had the time or money to set them back up

Last edited by greenbean36191; 09/17/2008 at 08:14 AM.
Unread 09/17/2008, 09:03 AM   #9
gcarroll
Registered Member

Say what you want about his methods, the bottom line is that they get the job done. Problem is that the filtration method is really geared at a low maintenance and low operating cost coral farming system. With the high price ofg electricity in CA, Steve found a system that relied on natural filtration rather than mechanical filtration. The reduces his electrical costs on his coral farming system since the skimmers run 24/7 and they would have to be very large skimmers due to his water volume.

Due to his tanks having a very low bioload the system works. With several systems totaling close to 2000+ gallons, I'd be shocked to finde more than 5 fish. To be honest, I have seen no more than 2 in my many visits. I can't even remember seeing crabs or snails either but there is tons of coraline algae growing.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 10:21 AM   #10
greenbean36191
Premium Member

Quote:
With several systems totaling close to 2000+ gallons, I'd be shocked to finde more than 5 fish. To be honest, I have seen no more than 2 in my many visits.
That would be the key. Many other hobbyists and coral farmers run skimmerless systems for the same reason. The common thread is that they have low fish stocking. Less nutrient input necessitates less export. There's no magic there.

Whether his tanks look great or not has no bearing on whether the claims he makes about the utility of these animals are supported by the science on the subject. He could also choose to run an eco-aqualizer and his systems would no doubt look just as spectacular, but that would prove nothing about the utility of the unit or the veracity of the manufacturers claims either.

I'd put a lot of money on a bet that he could discontinue the use of his "cryptic" refugium and see no negative effects on the system.

I've posed the same question many times, but have yet to get a satisfactory, scientifically based answer- What are these organisms removing that isn't already being removed in a skimmerless system and by what mechanism are they doing it?

Unread 09/17/2008, 10:24 AM   #11
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

greenbean36191
thanks for your insights and info about sponges/tunicates +++

i certainly dont know enough about this subject
to debate any of your points... but being that TYREE has written books and (more importantly!) has a successful functioning 'ecosystem' applying these/his methods... which makes me (perhaps) more of a 'believer' then a 'non' believer... atleast it (might) show that there is (some) merit to his techniques in real world application (whatever the reasons scientific or otherwise behind/supporting his ideas).

gcarroll
thanks for your input... so you have visited his coral farms... no fish/low bioload is not much fun for many hobbiests!... are there images of his tanks showing his operation in action... zonal areas etc etc?

Unread 09/17/2008, 11:36 AM   #12
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
That would be the key. Many other hobbyists and coral farmers run skimmerless systems for the same reason. The common thread is that they have low fish stocking. Less nutrient input necessitates less export. There's no magic there.

Whether his tanks look great or not has no bearing on whether the claims he makes about the utility of these animals are supported by the science on the subject. He could also choose to run an eco-aqualizer and his systems would no doubt look just as spectacular, but that would prove nothing about the utility of the unit or the veracity of the manufacturers claims either.

I'd put a lot of money on a bet that he could discontinue the use of his "cryptic" refugium and see no negative effects on the system.

I've posed the same question many times, but have yet to get a satisfactory, scientifically based answer- What are these organisms removing that isn't already being removed in a skimmerless system and by what mechanism are they doing it?
you must have posted same time i posted mine

very true about the water volume/low nutrients
easy to make claims about any filtering technique when these factors are taken into consideration...

he does make the same claims
regarding his other smaller systems that are employing the same techniques for filtration... dont know if i read it on his website or in the thread that was posted earlier (the first posting in this thread)... but he mentions using these cryptic methods in several (fully contained) 180 gal systems... think a 30 gal 400 gal, 75gal etc etc (iow mini systems not the larger commercial operations)... w/ the same success rate/claims...

regards

Unread 09/17/2008, 11:53 AM   #13
stevedola
Master of my domain

so because he is TYREE and wrote a book you believe his word...you know OJ simpson wrote a book too not sure Id believe his word.

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
stevedola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 12:34 PM   #14
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedola
so because he is TYREE and wrote a book you believe his word...you know OJ simpson wrote a book too not sure Id believe his word.

Quote:
but being that TYREE has written books and (more importantly!) has a successful functioning 'ecosystem' applying these/his methods

i think you may have left out the
"AND (MORE IMPORTANTLY)" aspect of what i said... meaning he has written a book (((((BUT ALSO/AND)))))) has verifiable results w/ his systems/corals etc etc...

do you have anything [INTELLIGENT] to add to the conversation/subject being discussed ???

Unread 09/17/2008, 01:03 PM   #15
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Maybe so, but many of us reefers employ methods that may or may not work. They are all just pieces to the puzzle for our particular system. There is no defined right or wrong way to run a reef. Tri-Zonal Filtration is not for everybody. It may not be for anybody. It's just one man sharing his experiences and his theory/opinioin of reefkeeping. If there was a single defined right way to run a reef then there would be no need to discuss.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 05:55 PM   #16
stevedola
Master of my domain

just because he has successful tanks it does not mean cryptic zone filtration works efficiently. it just seemed to me that you were giving credit to a method solely based on a coral growers name sake. I want to see hard evidence before I take it as gospel.
in your own words:
"i certainly dont know enough about this subject
to debate any of your points... but being that TYREE has written books and (more importantly!) has a successful functioning 'ecosystem' applying these/his methods... which makes me (perhaps) more of a 'believer' then a 'non' believer... atleast it (might) show that there is (some) merit to his techniques in real world application (whatever the reasons scientific or otherwise behind/supporting his ideas)."

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
stevedola is offline   Reply With Quote