Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Rcj520
Registered Member

What is the most simplistic way to set up a SPS quarantine?

Long story short, I am breaking down my reefer 350 of 2 years and starting completely from scratch. Tired of dealing with pest problems from starting with live rock and corals from multiple sources. Starting with completely dead and bleached rocks. Also setting up a fish and a coral quarantine. Just trying to do things right this time and have a high end show quality SPS tank.

My question is how to set up a long term coral quarantine. I want it to be as basic and bare bones as possible with the ability to handle 80-ish day quarantines on sensitive SPS. I plan on using a shallow rimless 10 gallon cube, such as a frag display tank. Of course it will have proper lighting(led) and adequate flow (maybe an mp10). What I am unsure of, is if I have no livestock, do I really need any sort of rock or filtration methods? I plan on following the same 20% bi weekly water change schedule of the main tank to replenish nutrients, but if it is just corals (5-10 at a time) is any filtration really needed besides adequate flow and surface agitation? I would probably feed a minimal amount once a week to just keep some nitrates, but I would assume that the water changes will keep that in check.

I can easily add rock and snails of course, but the main question is what is the simplest way of doing it. I don't want to worry about filtration if it is unnecessary. Thanks in advance for the help.

Rcj520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 08:19 AM   #2
five.five-six
Registered Member

Honestly, I don't think QT is the way to go with SPS. I don't know of any pests that lay eggs on live tissue. IMO, the best method is to stick with fresh cut frags, I dip in melafix in a black tray and use a loupe to inspect for pests.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote