Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2017, 01:18 AM   #201
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMartin View Post
I ordered my dreambox with the 200 micron mesh filters. As Slief has said, they don't trap as much as a 200 micron felt filter so I tried the 100 micron mesh filters. I still wasn't really 100% happy with those either so resorted to using 200 micron felt filters. I obtained these from china via ebay as they were only £1 (approx $1.20 US) including shipping.
I figure the mesh wouldn't trap as much as felt. That's why I want to use felt throughout the filter sock stages.

Do you have a link to where you got them? How are they holding up to washing/cleaning? I have a dreambox on the way and would like to be prepared. Thanks!

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 08:04 AM   #202
LesMartin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
I figure the mesh wouldn't trap as much as felt. That's why I want to use felt throughout the filter sock stages.

Do you have a link to where you got them? How are they holding up to washing/cleaning? I have a dreambox on the way and would like to be prepared. Thanks!
I'm in the UK so use the Ebay UK location but as they came from China I'd imagine they would have similar listings for your area. As for washing/cleaning I wash them inside out in the washing machine (no detergent) then a week or so in a bleach solution to oxidise any remaining organics then a quick rinse wash in the washing machine again. So far, so good.

LesMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 06:01 PM   #203
danrobberg
Registered Member

What is the size for the eBay filter socks? I believe they need to be 3.75 inches. In the u.s. I can only find socks with a 4 inch collar. I use a row of 400 micron and a row of 200 micron mesh socks now. The way I see it is the 400 just keeps the big chunks of food thAt get through the overflow from clogging up the 200 micron row. I wash the 200 micron socks about every 3 days and the 400 once a week. Felt socks get more out but they don't clean as nice or last as long.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 12:13 PM   #204
LesMartin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrobberg View Post
What is the size for the eBay filter socks? I believe they need to be 3.75 inches. In the u.s. I can only find socks with a 4 inch collar. I use a row of 400 micron and a row of 200 micron mesh socks now. The way I see it is the 400 just keeps the big chunks of food thAt get through the overflow from clogging up the 200 micron row. I wash the 200 micron socks about every 3 days and the 400 once a week. Felt socks get more out but they don't clean as nice or last as long.
I just ordered 4" socks. They fit nicely.

Unread 01/18/2017, 01:38 PM   #205
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMartin View Post
I just ordered 4" socks. They fit nicely.
Thank you for sharing that info!! Marco and I were just talking about this yesterday! I asked him to get a measurement of the sock openings in a Dreambox we have at the Ft.Myers facility as I had a sneaky suspicion the 4" ones would work! I was measuring one of my 4" socks from another one of my systems and the inside diameter of the ring on the sock seemed to match up with the Dreambox metric sock size spec. The outside diameter of the ring in theory would sit nicely on the sock tray which had me thinking that depending on the way Germany measured the socks, the 4" ones would likely work fine. You saved him from having to take a measurement.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 12:49 PM   #206
danrobberg
Registered Member

I tried a 4 inch sock and it didn't fit in mine. The collar was too big.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 01:09 PM   #207
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hmmmmm..... Also good to know. Interesting that Les had a different experience. Would love to know what socks Les ordered.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/19/2017, 01:26 PM   #208
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Quote:

Same experience for me. I already had like (12) 4" socks from my old sump and none worked. The hole was too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/23/2017, 02:11 AM   #209
mike810
Registered Member

Is there a video that shows how much noise reduction is applied when the filter sock silencers are in place? RE video has music so not much of a video for the silencer.

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:59 AM   #210
LesMartin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Hmmmmm..... Also good to know. Interesting that Les had a different experience. Would love to know what socks Les ordered.
I'd love to be more specific but as RE just list a 4" sock on their European website (but only the nylon mesh version) I assumed they were all the exact same dimension. I must have just got lucky with my Ebay socks. I can't even look through the order history as I don't have an Ebay account so anything I buy I check out as a guest.

Unread 01/23/2017, 12:02 PM   #211
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Is there a video that shows how much noise reduction is applied when the filter sock silencers are in place? RE video has music so not much of a video for the silencer.

Mine took the sound from the trickle of water to pretty much dead silent. I feel it was worth it and would buy them again if that helps at all

Unread 01/25/2017, 02:19 AM   #212
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
Mine took the sound from the trickle of water to pretty much dead silent. I feel it was worth it and would buy them again if that helps at all

Thanks, absolutely what I was looking for as they are not cheap and I'll need 13 of them!

Does the FL facility carry these?

Unread 01/28/2017, 10:42 AM   #213
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Our Royal-Exclusiv Dealer in Switzerland and his Showroom ....

best regards .. .Klaus

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 10:45 AM   #214
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

.. 2 x Closed Loop Pumps Red Dragon Speedys, 150 Watt

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-28 um 15.35.39.jpg (45.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-28 um 15.36.19.jpg (65.8 KB, 99 views)
Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 04:49 PM   #215
jporter
Registered Member

I'm in! Dream Box 3b Deluxe coming my way. Should be delivered this week along with other GHL gear on the same pallet. Got to love equipment that's packaged and delivered in a crate. Will post some pictures and updates after getting it installed and operational. JP

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4601 - Version 2.jpg (50.8 KB, 97 views)
jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 08:20 PM   #216
mike810
Registered Member

Hey Scott,

I need some advice. I have a dream box on order and they are finalizing all the pieces and getting ready to glue and weld. The box itself is coming along nicely but they ran into a snag. I have the supermarin 250 on order which is completely out of stock for the next 5-6 weeks! They have asked if I want to upgrade to a different skimmer and need your advice if I should wait or opt for a different skimmer.

The new tank will be a 360g with a 8D box. Planning a full blown sps tank with tons of tangs, wrasses, anthias and just a ton of fish in general. I have the option to go with the following skimmers:
Deluxe 250
Deluxe 300
Supermarin 300

I've always read that the supermarin 250 is a great skimmer from many users. Could you tell me if any of the following skimmers listed perform as good or better than the sm250? The cost to upgrade is minimal but I'd like to make the right decision the first time.

What would you choose and why for a tank setup like this?

Unread 03/16/2017, 08:25 PM   #217
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Hi Mike,
I know I'm not Scott, but I'll take a shot at this
Given the situation, and actually the chance to change, I'd go for the Deluxe 250!

The deluxe IMO is just a little bit better, and more adjustable. It will allow for a wider range for loads, both + and - on the gallon rating and load factor of your tank due to its adjustability. The Deluxe models can dry skin better than the Supermarins if you want it to, or wet, or anything in between.
That is why we classify them as our highest end, Deluxe!

To me personally, I'd go for the Deluxe and would see it as a chance, rather than an issue. The cost difference is really not that much.

Let us know what you end up choosing.

-marco

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 08:54 PM   #218
mike810
Registered Member

Marco,

Thanks for your input even though you're not Scott ����. I should have added if anyone with experience can chime in lol. I will look into the deluxe more when I get home. Yes the cost to upgrade is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. I just want to get the best for my tank as this will be the last upgrade I see for awhile.

Unread 03/16/2017, 09:29 PM   #219
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Hi Mike,
I know I'm not Scott, but I'll take a shot at this
Given the situation, and actually the chance to change, I'd go for the Deluxe 250!

The deluxe IMO is just a little bit better, and more adjustable. It will allow for a wider range for loads, both + and - on the gallon rating and load factor of your tank due to its adjustability. The Deluxe models can dry skin better than the Supermarins if you want it to, or wet, or anything in between.
That is why we classify them as our highest end, Deluxe!

To me personally, I'd go for the Deluxe and would see it as a chance, rather than an issue. The cost difference is really not that much.

Let us know what you end up choosing.

-marco
I agree 100% with Marco. In fact, given the choice between the SM250 and the Deluxe 250, I would have suggested the Deluxe 250 any day of the week over the SM250. Especially given your display size. I run the SM250 on my 480 gallon display that has over 70 fish in it (many of which are very large) and it hardly has to work. My system is over 700 gallon total volume too. I toyed with the idea of a 300 when I bought my SM250 nearly 3 years ago but err'd on the side of caution because I knew the 300 would be too large for my system and inconsistent as a result. I honestly think the SM250 would be too large for your display and think the Deluxe 250 would be more consistent and easier to tune. Any of the 300's would be WAY too large for your system. Heck, you could even go with the Deluxe 200 or SM200 and be just fine but I do prefer the Deluxe's since they are a bit more flexible and as such, the Deluxe 250 should work well for you. That said, I think this "snag" is actually a blessing in disguise. As I said, the SM250 is really on the large size for your display as far as the Supermarin's go. You would need a ridiculously heavy load to keep it consistent and in an SPS tank, it's highly unlikely that you would ever be near a heavy load given that a truly heavy load is 1/2" of fish per gallon. Even then, the Deluxe 250 would have no issues handling that load.

P.S. They only skimmer I'd give up my Supermarin for would be the Deluxe..

Unread 03/16/2017, 09:35 PM   #220
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Marco,

Thanks for your input even though you're not Scott ����.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife refers to Marco as my other wife!

Unread 03/16/2017, 11:50 PM   #221
mike810
Registered Member

Lol Scott. Thank you for the advice. Looks like I will be going with the deluxe. I will let Torsten know and hopefully the box will ship soon. Thank you to Marco and Scott, you two really have elevated RE's customer service state side.

Unread 03/17/2017, 08:40 AM   #222
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Lol Scott. Thank you for the advice. Looks like I will be going with the deluxe. I will let Torsten know and hopefully the box will ship soon. Thank you to Marco and Scott, you two really have elevated RE's customer service state side.
We are both really glad to help!

Unread 03/17/2017, 10:20 AM   #223
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you to Marco and Scott, you two really have elevated RE's customer service state side.
Ssshhhh! Don't tell anyone that we're helpful... or they'll all come! :P

Glad to help. Happy Friday!

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 10:39 AM   #224
jporter
Registered Member

Here is my Dream Box under my new tank build. Should have water running through it by the end of the weekend. Rock goes in today after a quick tank leak test. Will be starting a build thread as time permits. Ignore the blue tape still on the stand. I haven't taken off the protective tape yet. JP

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4750.jpg (38.4 KB, 131 views)
jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 03:58 AM   #225
mike810
Registered Member

great selection of equipment.