Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 10:39 PM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

Help ID anemone

It was sold to me as "Purple Base Maroon" but haven't been able to find anything online under that name.

Pic may not be the best but it is "greenish" and her foot is purple.

Thanks!!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 11:49 PM   #2
pfan151
Registered Member

Post the pic that you had when it’s closed showing the foot.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 07:09 AM   #3
elegance coral
They call me EC

Defiantly need more pic's.
With the limited info from the pic, I would have to guess H. magnifica.
It's totally in the wrong position, if it is magnifica.
Can we get a pic showing the mouth???

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 08:02 AM   #4
allendehl
Registered Member

Pic when closed:

Does it help?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
Unread 12/06/2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

"Purple Base anemone" is a sales name for Heteractis Magnifica anemones (also commonly called Ritteri Anemones).

The ID seems right on with this one, having a ton of tentacles all over with a rather broad foot and greenish bulb-tips.

This should get you up to date with the basics:
http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Cor...nt-Sea-Anemone

Last edited by Small Heavens; 12/06/2017 at 08:24 AM.
Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 09:29 AM   #6
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I agree. H Magnifica. Retteri anemone. A hard to care for anemone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 10:49 AM   #7
allendehl
Registered Member

Damn with these LFS!!!! I went looking for a beginner anemone that does not tend to move too much, specifically asked for a LTA. He said this was not an LTA but a great clown host, hardy and not a roamer.
From what I am reading from the link shared above this Mag is a roamer and not a "hardy beginner" one...so. I am stuck with a beautiful delicate anemone that I better learn to take a good care of quick.

My tank is fairly new but it seems that as long as I keep good nitrate levels (which I have) and feed them regularly she'd do ok. She decided to stick to the bottom of a rock just a few inches away from where I placed it to start with.
I have a powerhead blowing horizontally above her but this morning I tilted it a bit to blow in an angle so the nem would get it a bit more direct, in hopes it'd like it. We'll see when I comeback home.

Should I try to move it to a rock higher in the tank or let it be? What about flow and direction?

I have a 75G tank with the following pumps for flow:

- Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH)
- 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPM)

Have them all almost at full power.

Any tips on how to make this beauty happy now that I have it is greatly appreciated.

Unread 12/06/2017, 11:02 AM   #8
D-Nak
Registered Member

It's definitely a magnifica.

Many people -- especially those who don't have one -- are quick to say that they're difficult anemones. They're not hard to care for once acclimated and won't roam if given the right environment. Since they're natural hosts for both percula and ocellaris, both species will typically take to them immediately.

Give it a flat rock on the top of pillar, surrounded by a lot of varying flow and you'll be in good shape. Mags like to spread out their foot (I describe it looking like a fried egg) at the highest position on the rock. Unlike BTAs, they don't like to bury their foot in the rock crevices, which is why a flat rock works the best. Don't let any of the tentacles to come in contact with the wall of your tank, otherwise it'll "think" it can move up higher and will continuously move.

Unfortunately, I'm concerned because the photo of it closed shows a nem that's either just waking up or isn't healthy. If it does this during the day with the lights on, you'll most likely need to treat it with antibiotics, or it'll die within a couple of weeks.

Unread 12/06/2017, 11:34 AM   #9
allendehl
Registered Member

Ok, a mix of good and concerning news. I'll try to clarify some things to help you guys help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post

Give it a flat rock on the top of pillar, surrounded by a lot of varying flow and you'll be in good shape. Mags like to spread out their foot (I describe it looking like a fried egg) at the highest position on the rock. Unlike BTAs, they don't like to bury their foot in the rock crevices, which is why a flat rock works the best. Don't let any of the tentacles to come in contact with the wall of your tank, otherwise it'll "think" it can move up higher and will continuously move.
She is already stuck to the bottom of a rock since day one and is not moving. I thought it was her chosen place.
Should I try to remove her and place it on a flat rock on top?

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm concerned because the photo of it closed shows a nem that's either just waking up or isn't healthy. If it does this during the day with the lights on, you'll most likely need to treat it with antibiotics, or it'll die within a couple of weeks.
She was looking great at the LFS even hosting a clown. I acclimated it well, I believe, and a few hours after putting in the tank it was full open (again I believe it was "full", first time having one). The problem started at feeding time next day when I turned off all flow. It shrunk to nothing. I turned everything back on a few mins after. Next morning (yesterday) it was open again but not as much as in the first day. At feeding time again I turned off only one powerhead, the one above her, to see if the food stayed there and the clowns would come meet the nem. Less than a minute in poor thing freaked out as well and shrunk. This morning, it was once again open but not completely.
She does not do this on its own, it is always after a change in flow. I have the light scheduled to gradually come on at about 3pm until 10pm, so I can enjoy the tank.

Does her behavior still gives you the impression she is sick?

Unread 12/06/2017, 11:37 AM   #10
allendehl
Registered Member

Oh lights are a pair of Hydra 26 LED modules

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:11 PM   #11
Tkieu78
Registered Member

DNak is right. They are not hard once you understand their needs. As for treatment. They do respond very well. I’ve treated 3 in the past. One right now as we speak. All do very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tkieu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:12 PM   #12
pfan151
Registered Member

Can you pick the whole rock that it’s attached to up and place it on the top of your rock structure? If it turns out to be healthy you will be very happy you ended up with a Magnifica. Once healthy they are pretty bulletproof and probably the nicest looking type of anemone there is IMO. Give it good alternating flow but it doesn’t need to be blasted. Definitely put it in a higher flow section of the tank though.

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:24 PM   #13
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkieu78 View Post
DNak is right. They are not hard once you understand their needs. As for treatment. They do respond very well. I’ve treated 3 in the past. One right now as we speak. All do very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bur...does it really need treatment?

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:29 PM   #14
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Can you pick the whole rock that it’s attached to up and place it on the top of your rock structure? If it turns out to be healthy you will be very happy you ended up with a Magnifica. Once healthy they are pretty bulletproof and probably the nicest looking type of anemone there is IMO. Give it good alternating flow but it doesn’t need to be blasted. Definitely put it in a higher flow section of the tank though.
She picked the heavier pillar or all to attach to, plus she is at the very bottom, the rock is not even flat or near flat. I am afraid that if I start playing around with the rock with the nem attached, to figure out how to make it a top rock I may clip her foot or hurt her if rocks shift.

I rather release her fro the rock, pull the entire pillar out and try to figure out how to make a flat top rock out of it. if possible.

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:57 PM   #15
D-Nak
Registered Member

Don't try to feed it until we have a better understanding of its health. They don't need to be fed that often, so going without feeding while it acclimates is fine.

It's best to share more photos with us -- some examples where you think it's at its best, and some at its worst. We'll be able to assess whether or not you should remove it for treatment. In the meantime, review the sticky that discusses the protocol:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

Many magnifica need treatment. They oftentimes appear healthy in the store, especially to a novice reefer who sees an expanded anemone and assumes it's healthy. Frankly, it's almost impossible to tell if a mag needs treatment if it's fully expanded (and it looks great in the first photo, so maybe I'm being overly cautious). Sorry if I'm stressing you out!

Unread 12/06/2017, 01:04 PM   #16
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Don't try to feed it until we have a better understanding of its health. They don't need to be fed that often, so going without feeding while it acclimates is fine.

It's best to share more photos with us -- some examples where you think it's at its best, and some at its worst. We'll be able to assess whether or not you should remove it for treatment. In the meantime, review the sticky that discusses the protocol:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

Many magnifica need treatment. They oftentimes appear healthy in the store, especially to a novice reefer who sees an expanded anemone and assumes it's healthy. Frankly, it's almost impossible to tell if a mag needs treatment if it's fully expanded (and it looks great in the first photo, so maybe I'm being overly cautious). Sorry if I'm stressing you out!
Not at all, I am stressed all by myself so is not on you or anyone else trying to help, on the contrary.

But...I do want to take some action plan out of this so I don't feel I wasted everybody's time.

- I'll take some more pics and post
- No medical treatment yet and no feeding
- Should I try to move it to a higher, flatter place?
- What do I do with her phobia to flow changes. I am ok in holding back on this and let the clowns find her by themselves instead of trying to lure them with food. Concern is when is time for the next WC.

I believe this covers my questions so far.

Unread 12/06/2017, 01:12 PM   #17
D-Nak
Registered Member

We can determine whether or not to move it based on the photos. I'm surprised that it's still at the bottom of the tank when I'd expect it to climb up to the top. This is one of the reasons why I think it might be sick. Furthermore, the flow shouldn't affect it at all. Mags can take a ton of flow. Assuming the clowns are either percula or ocellaris, they'll find the nem without your help.

Unread 12/06/2017, 05:21 PM   #18
pfan151
Registered Member

I wouldn’t take it off the rock. Just adds more stress to an already stressed anemone. If it were me I’d take the whole rock out and move it to the top regardless of what else needs to be moved to make it happen. It doesn’t have to be on a flat rock. If it likes where it is on that rock then it’s fine. If not it will eventually move off that spot on the rock to a spot that it likes better. Having it down on the bottom definitely isn’t going to help it settle in and recover from all the stress it’s been through.

Unread 12/06/2017, 05:50 PM   #19
allendehl
Registered Member

Some pics from a few mins ago. It is looking a lot better today

Unread 12/06/2017, 05:58 PM   #20
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks great. That’s going to be a really nice one. I’ve been searching for that color combo for a long time.

Unread 12/06/2017, 06:16 PM   #21
D-Nak
Registered Member

It looks good. I would leave it alone and let it get used to your tank. Don't try to feed it and don't try to move it. In a couple of weeks if you want to move it up a bit, go for it. However, I'd be surprised if it doesn't try to move up on its own.

Unread 12/06/2017, 07:30 PM   #22
allendehl
Registered Member

Oh wow, that is some relief!!! Thank you all!!!
See the clowns? They are on the same side of the tank but behind the rock and will not leave that corner even if the house is on fire. Hope they find their way to it!!!

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:05 PM   #23
pfan151
Registered Member

I’m pretty shocked the clowns didn’t go straight for the anemone to be honest.

Unread 12/07/2017, 04:54 AM   #24
hottuna
Registered Member

Watch that powerhead ! Ritteri's move ...especially @ night...cover everything with foam pads if u want to keep that beautiful nem .....

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:15 PM   #25
allendehl
Registered Member

Nem today. No flow change or any other change whatsoever.
Is it normal that she retracts from time to time with no reason?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk