Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:50 PM   #26
allendehl
Registered Member

Further closed but mouth is shut tight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 09:54 PM   #27
OrionN
Moved on

That is a sick anemone.
Sick Magnifica will deflates off and on, more in the afternoon. Deflation get more and more. When inflates they look less and less well, then just melt away. This is the down spiral a lot of the Magnifica get before they die. You need to pull him out and treat him with antibiotic. Good luck.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:29 PM   #28
pfan151
Registered Member

Going to need to get some cipro if you want it to have a chance.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:33 PM   #29
allendehl
Registered Member

Ok, thank you folks! I'll follow the protocol posted above by D-Nac...but how can I get the ciprofloxacin? Isn't it by prescription?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:46 PM   #30
allendehl
Registered Member

Also, what kind of light to use for the hospital thank? I need a budget friendly one if possible.

Unread 12/07/2017, 11:10 PM   #31
pfan151
Registered Member

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Fish...iABEgKPAPD_BwE

Any light is fine. I use a clip on light from Home Depot with an led spotlight usually.

If you know a Dr it would be much faster and cheaper to get them to write you a script though. That anemone needs to be treated ASAP if you want it to survive. A vet could prescribe it for you as well.

Unread 12/07/2017, 11:20 PM   #32
allendehl
Registered Member

Would amoxicillin work? I can have it home from Amazon in 2 days but they don't have ciprofloxacin.
Do you know if the pet stores carry it?
I'd like to start treatment as soon as possible.

Unread 12/08/2017, 12:11 PM   #33
OrionN
Moved on

If you have Amoxicillin, go ahead and start with this and change to Cipro once you have it.
I would dose 500 mg amoxicillin per 10 gal. treat it the same way, just different antibiotic

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:20 PM   #34
lawdog
Registered Member

You can overnight the Cipro from that link pfan posted. Orion is the king of Mags so follow his lead for sure.. And for sure don't feed... to be honest most established Mags need fed very little ever. I had one for years and maybe fed it small bites every few months was very happy healthy and big....

Keep us posted and good luck!

Craig

"Will be giving Free Legal Advice Tomorrow..."

Current Tank Info: Marineland 200DD Reef Tank, In Wall, Still Rocking dual 250W MH lights; LifeReef skimmer, Custom Sump/Refuge, Reeflo Dart Return to Seaswirls; Tunze Streams (waiting for new Riptide!); Lifereef Calc Reactor; Keeper of Magnifica Ritteri!
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:43 PM   #35
allendehl
Registered Member

Ok...got it all working!! A friend had some Cipro and gave it to me. Here is my HT setup:

- 10G tank, Nem was moved with water from the DT and its rock. Didn't even try to remover her.
- PH wrapped in a filter sock
- Air stone
- Clip on light with a 13W led
- No heater, I live in Miami and the setup is in the Garage...it does not get too cold in there. Anyways, do you have a heater to recommend I can have in case I need it?

Tank is not full to the 10G line (wherever that is)...should I top it off? Just dosed a pill of 250mg of Cipro. (1 pm EST)

Below are two pics from day one, I'll try to keep the post going so you experts can help me throughout the process. I'l post pics every day or sooner if I see something odd. Hope is not too much to ask!

Unread 12/08/2017, 03:58 PM   #36
humphreyhh
Registered Member

When I said hard to care for. I meant this. They are more prone to get ill than btas and ltas.

Anyways, I saw some cirpo posted on eBay. When you get this type of anemone, you should have cipro handy all the time. Keep us posted and good luck. Hope she will get better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 06:28 PM   #37
pfan151
Registered Member

I think having it the garage is a big mistake. You want stability and there will be far too much of a temp swing from day to night. I’m in Florida as well. We have a big cold front coming through. Miami is going to be in the 40s this weekend. That will guarantee a dead anemone.

Unread 12/08/2017, 07:48 PM   #38
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I think having it the garage is a big mistake. You want stability and there will be far too much of a temp swing from day to night. I’m in Florida as well. We have a big cold front coming through. Miami is going to be in the 40s this weekend. That will guarantee a dead anemone.
You're more than right. I didn't realize that. Garage is the only option though. I just ran to petco and grabbed a heater. Hope it does the trick! Thanks!

Unread 12/08/2017, 09:12 PM   #39
OrionN
Moved on

The heater may not able to bring the temperature up from 40 degree. Consider bring him in to the table, even if it is just for one or two nights.

Unread 12/08/2017, 09:38 PM   #40
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The heater may not able to bring the temperature up from 40 degree. Consider bring him in to the table, even if it is just for one or two nights.
I will definitely keep an eye on the temp, I placed a thermometer permanently in the water and set the heater for 78C. Garage door is isolated so I do not expect it to get too cold, the heater is also oversized, it is a 150W and I may have there about 8G of water.
If things get ugly I'll definitely bring her in.

Infinite thank you !!!

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Unread 12/08/2017, 11:11 PM   #41
pfan151
Registered Member

That whole thing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. A heater that big on 8 gallons of water will likely overheat the water unless you have it on a controller. There isn’t anywhere inside the house that you can put a 10 gallon tank for a week? The thermostats on heaters are crap. I wish you luck but I’m starting to doubt this will end well for the anemone.

Unread 12/09/2017, 06:43 AM   #42
jackz
Registered Member

why is it blue lighted?

jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 06:57 AM   #43
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz View Post
why is it blue lighted?
She has daylight light in the hospital tank. DT hydra are on the blue side.

Unread 12/09/2017, 07:03 AM   #44
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
That whole thing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. A heater that big on 8 gallons of water will likely overheat the water unless you have it on a controller. There isn’t anywhere inside the house that you can put a 10 gallon tank for a week? The thermostats on heaters are crap. I wish you luck but I’m starting to doubt this will end well for the anemone.
Thank you pfan I'm hoping that doesn't happen. Heater had been accurate so far, I have a traditional thermometer in the water as well for control.
In Miami we have never had anything close to 40 F inside of the house but I am keeping a close eye on the water temp. If I see the heater can't keep up she comes in for sure. It is just that so far Isn't needed.

Unread 12/09/2017, 07:43 AM   #45
OrionN
Moved on

I never use heater with temp sensor on the heater. Just because the sensor is right on the heater, it is impossible for the sensor to sample the temperature accurately.
I always use heater controller with it's own temperature probe, remote from the heating element.
allendehl,
Get an egg-crate sheet from Home Depo and compartmentalize you HT. It only cost a few dollars.
Do something like this. This picture is the picture of the set up of my very first attempt at treating a sick Magnifica with antibiotic. He did great and recovered. This is the thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2220652

Unread 12/09/2017, 09:41 AM   #46
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
I never use heater with temp sensor on the heater. Just because the sensor is right on the heater, it is impossible for the sensor to sample the temperature accurately.
I always use heater controller with it's own temperature probe, remote from the heating element.
allendehl,
Get an egg-crate sheet from Home Depo and compartmentalize you HT. It only cost a few dollars.
Do something like this. This picture is the picture of the set up of my very first attempt at treating a sick Magnifica with antibiotic. He did great and recovered. This is the thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2220652
Oh wow. It's crazy to see you were one of us back in 2012!!
I see why you suggest a divider. I wrapped my PH in a fine net but the heater is unprotected. She is not moving but I'll get the divider just in case.
I also see what you say about the heating element and the sensor being in the same enclosure but so far mine has been accurate.
I'll post some pics in a few minutes to get a feeling on how she is doing.

Unread 12/09/2017, 10:15 AM   #47
OrionN
Moved on

I am always “one of us”
It does not matter how fine the mesh is, it the anemone get close or on the PH it will get shead
Divider is cheap easy to do and will keep the anemone safe. In a small tank like HT if the anemone loose it footing it WILL end up chewed up by the PH due to flow.

Unread 12/09/2017, 12:49 PM   #48
Breadman03
New Old School

I couldn’t find egg crate an my local Lowe’s, but Home Depot keeps it stocked with the lighting diffusers. To trim, I find what row needs to be broken out and use the shaft of a screwdriver to just smash through them. It doesn’t take much effort and is way easier than using my Dremel.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 04:41 PM   #49
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
I am always “one of us”
It does not matter how fine the mesh is, it the anemone get close or on the PH it will get shead
Divider is cheap easy to do and will keep the anemone safe. In a small tank like HT if the anemone loose it footing it WILL end up chewed up by the PH due to flow.
Understood!...Egg crate in shopping list as well as the inkbird controller is on its way from Amazon, couldn't find a local store that carries it.

Now, nem seems to be doing ok, at least is not worse (to my novice eye). It hasn't deflated completely as it used to do in DT. Tentacled get thin from time to time but it doesn't close. It is also coughing out some snot that I'm removing with a net.
Now with the WC I realized that is has a bit over 5G of water, since the rock is so big it throw me off. I still dosed the full 250mg of cipro. I read in the sticky that if they are very sick you could up the mg so I assumed it was safe to do. Should I keep the dose or maybe cut it in half?
Water temp is in 80 F and I made sure the new one was as well.

Day 2 After water change. The cloudiness is because of the crushed pill and the debris from the rock after WC.

Unread 12/09/2017, 06:39 PM   #50
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks pretty good. Surprising that it hasn’t moved to the top of that rock though. They usually always like to be at the highest point.