Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Finch43
Registered Member

13 Gallon Nano little advice

Hello everybody this is my first post ever on Reef Central and my first saltwater tank! I have had FW tanks my whole life, so i understand setting up a new tank and Cycling which im currently in the process of doing.

It's a Fluval sea evo 12. I went to the local LFS and picked up 15 pounds of live Rock A 10 pound bag of live sand and picked up 15 gallons of RI/DO water. I started this tank up on Sunday fish less cycle with some flakes and a piece of raw tuna today the ammonia is reading in between 1-2 ppm so I'm on my way.

The live rock I bought is nice but I felt like I had to much in the tank so I took some out. Mostly rubble pieces and setup a little 2.5 gallon that I had laying around i'm going to use this as a quarantine tank.

okay so my actual questions:
1. Fish-I would like 3 a pair of clowns and a sand sifting goby what are your opinions on this combo or even some recommendations.

2. Cleaner crew- I have no idea how to go about setting one up with a good ratio of sifters and algae eaters all I know is I gotta have hermit crabs.

3. Just honestly curious on peoples thoughts on this setup in general if you see any mistakes i may have made etc.

I have attached some pictures of the setup please give me your honest opinions I'm a big boy i can take it =) also i have the ps2 protein skimmer figured why not extra filtration and a koralia nano 240 powerhead on the way for extra flow if i need it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg salt tank.jpg (84.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 20180411_124955.jpg (94.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 20180411_124946.jpg (89.8 KB, 99 views)
Finch43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 04:54 PM   #2
bitwise
Registered Member

I’d start with 5 trochus snails and a couple of smaller sized hermit crabs. I’m a big fan of trochus snails and have gotten them to reproduce in my nano tank.

Unread 04/12/2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Finch43
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the recommendation checked those snails out they have a pretty cool looking shell!

Unread 04/13/2018, 06:30 AM   #4
Marouette21
Registered Member

My Evo 13,5 gallons

Hello,

I have exactly the same tank. It's 6 monthes old now.

First, I suggest to you to join this groupe on Facebook. All people with this tank
https://www.facebook.com/groups/386448848444255/

I started it with 13 lbs of dry rock and 10 lbs of life sand. Then I added 2 lbs of life rock.
My living are
- 1 clown
- 1 bicolor blenny
- 2 trochus snails
- 2 nassarius snails
- 1 cleaner shrimp
- 1 emerald crab

I have 5 littles corals for now. Hammer head, GSP, Recordia, Zoan and Montipora digitata

About the tank, I made couple of change with time.
- Add Hydor 240 water pump
- Made a structure with egg crate for the 2nd chamber. In it, I have Chemi pure blue, rowaphos and floss.
- In the chamber 1, I had the PS2 skimmer but finally removed it 2 weeks ago because I had too much trouble with it. It's a junk. If you doing water change each week, you don't need it. I'm doing 20% water change. Now, in the chamber 1 I have a UV light
- In the chamber 3, I have my heater and the return pump. For now it's the basic one but I wait for a new one. The Sicce 1.0 fit perfectly in the chamber and will increase my flow.
- Finally, I changed the light before to buy corals. I had trouble with alguae and the new light help a lot with that. I have the Ai prime HD

Hope that can help you. The group on Facebook is really helpful too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29663207_10156299556657206_1185335290455535052_o.jpg (48.5 KB, 65 views)
Marouette21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Marouette21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marouette21 View Post
Hello,

I have exactly the same tank. It's 6 monthes old now.

First, I suggest to you to join this groupe on Facebook. All people with this tank
https://www.facebook.com/groups/386448848444255/

I started it with 13 lbs of dry rock and 10 lbs of life sand. Then I added 2 lbs of life rock.
My living are
- 1 clown
- 1 bicolor blenny
- 2 trochus snails
- 2 nassarius snails
- 1 cleaner shrimp
- 1 emerald crab

I have 5 littles corals for now. Hammer head, GSP, Recordia, Zoan and Montipora digitata

About the tank, I made couple of change with time.
- Add Hydor 240 water pump
- Made a structure with egg crate for the 2nd chamber. In it, I have Chemi pure blue, rowaphos and floss.
- In the chamber 1, I had the PS2 skimmer but finally removed it 2 weeks ago because I had too much trouble with it. It's a junk. If you doing water change each week, you don't need it. I'm doing 20% water change. Now, in the chamber 1 I have a UV light
- In the chamber 3, I have my heater and the return pump. For now it's the basic one but I wait for a new one. The Sicce 1.0 fit perfectly in the chamber and will increase my flow.
- I have a ATO system, Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off
- Finally, I changed the light before to buy corals. I had trouble with alguae and the new light help a lot with that. I have the Ai prime HD

Hope that can help you. The group on Facebook is really helpful too.

Unread 04/13/2018, 07:18 AM   #6
Marouette21
Registered Member

Sorry, I want to modify my message to add my ATO system and I made a copy The second one is the good one!

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:35 AM   #7
Finch43
Registered Member

Hey Marouette21 thanks for the reply ill have to check out that Facebook group I was looking at all sorts of add ons and upgrades things sure can start to add up quickly!

Unread 04/13/2018, 09:15 PM   #8
malacoda
Registered Member

i can't speak from personal experience, but it's my understanding that sand sifting gobies require fairly large tanks (75g +) to avoid the risk of starving to death. I had contemplated getting one for my 24g, but the consensus seems to be that they sift through sand an deplete the microfauna that they feed off to quick in anything smaller ... and it can't regenerate fast enough to keep them nourished.

Not saying it can't be done ... just that you may want to do some further research into it before deciding to pull the trigger.

malacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 02:40 PM   #9
stagcrazy
Registered Member

will the lighting that comes with this tank be enough for zoanthids and some lps like hammers etc@

stagcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Finch43
Registered Member

I'm honestly quite new to the hobby but i did buy some coral frags from the LFS they have been in this tank for a couple of weeks and everything is looking good so far ive attached some pics it might be what your talking about

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180514_191408.jpg (56.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_191358.jpg (39.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_191631.jpg (69.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_191639.jpg (30.0 KB, 19 views)
Unread 05/16/2018, 05:32 AM   #11
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Marouette21, where did you get the cover for the tank. I'm looking to get that tank and need a cover too.
Thanks.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 05:15 PM   #12
perenesbuenos
Registered Member

Talking

check out mine. I just set this up a couple months ago. Went full out on it and got the AI prime HD, Smart ATO nano, Protein skimmer.
So far is doing amazing.https://youtu.be/2lDVHgvbZlc

Current Tank Info: 29g reef. sump fuge
perenesbuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 05:18 PM   #13
perenesbuenos
Registered Member

On another note. I moved the middle filter sponge to the first chamber and the skimmer to the first chamber. I then added a filter floss on top of the sponge so it will catch more debris from the overflow. It works amazing and not sure why no one has tried it.

Current Tank Info: 29g reef. sump fuge
perenesbuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 02:27 PM   #14
Subillbo
Registered Member

Hey finch... looking good so far!
I have same tank, up for about 2 months. I have 2 clowns for fish so far - ocellaris and a Darwin.
Clean up crew - 2 trochus, 2 nassarius, conch and 2 hermits (1 scarlet and 1 Halloween). I also have a cleaner shrimp. So far so good with the fish and inverts. I also have had good success with my corals so far - have 6 zoa frags that have been multiplying, a hammer, GSP and a pulsing xenia......
Using hydor koralia 240, and using the intank media baskets (would highly recommend) love them!
And am currently using the center sump spot as a mini refugium with cheato and a small piece of LR
Down the road I will probably add another fish like a goby with a bunch more zoas!

"Hey... where do these stairs go?" "They go up!"
- Ghostbusters 1984

Current Tank Info: 16 gal
Subillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Subillbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subillbo View Post
Hey finch... looking good so far!
I have same tank, up for about 2 months. I have 2 clowns for fish so far - ocellaris and a Darwin.
Clean up crew - 2 trochus, 2 nassarius, conch and 2 hermits (1 scarlet and 1 Halloween). I also have a cleaner shrimp. So far so good with the fish and inverts. I also have had good success with my corals so far - have 6 zoa frags that have been multiplying, a hammer, GSP and a pulsing xenia......
Using hydor koralia 240, and using the intank media baskets (would highly recommend) love them!
And am currently using the center sump spot as a mini refugium with cheato and a small piece of LR
Down the road I will probably add another fish like a goby with a bunch more zoas!
Forgot to add.... I travel alot so got an ATO.... the tunze isolator nano aswell

"Hey... where do these stairs go?" "They go up!"
- Ghostbusters 1984

Current Tank Info: 16 gal
Subillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 05:36 AM   #16
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

My Fluval 13.5 has been online for 10 months with one large clown, an 8” and a 4” Monty, a Duncan and 300 Zola’s. All evacuees after the hurricane last year. Overcrowded, yep and that will be corrected soon. I use no mechanical filtration, GFO or carbon. I use the center chamber to grow turf algae by applying 14W of red/blue via to light bars taped to the glass running twelve on/off. I do a 2 gallon water change every 4 days. NO3/PO4 are undetectable. I manually harvest a handful every two weeks or so. My glass requires a swipe every 5-7 days or so. So far, so good.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote