Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2017, 05:26 AM   #10501
Undrpressure23
Registered Member

Whats up guys im Matt, and new to the salt world. Ive taken a broken 30 gallon display tank and made it my overdone custom setup. Im learning as I go, and already made a some mistakes.

Here is where i started, and currently trying to establish my salinity correctly, once ive done that i will begin the bio establishment.

Look forward to meeting everyone, and going bigger in the future. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Undrpressure23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 09:43 AM   #10502
sonicview
Registered Member

Thank you for accepting me here. Very informative forum. Lot to read now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonicview is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 10:37 PM   #10503
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Hello every one this is Eddie... i am 6 days new to the saltwater reef area... im currently cycling as 10-27-2017... i started a 55 gal tank and i hope i can learn alot from everyone...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

fierro9181113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 11:28 AM   #10504
stlouisslim
Registered Member

New to the hobby

Good afternoon.

I'm fairly new to the hobby.

Still getting set up.

Looking forward to asking questions and learning more.

Thank you

stlouisslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 12:30 AM   #10505
StormySea
Registered Member

New to Saltwater tanks

Hi everyone and thanks for such an informative forum!

I'm totally new to saltwater tanks and decided to try a small 16g Biocube to start out. It's now 1-1/2 months old and doing the diatom thing but other than that, no major problems.

Hoping to learn all that I can.

StormySea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 05:59 AM   #10506
liviu.cristea
Registered Member

Hello,
I am new to the hobby, less than a year.
My name is Liviu and I live in Romania, somewhere in eastern europe )
Frankly I read a lot from here, and learned a lot.
And I'm still willing to learn
I have a mixed reef and fish 102gal tank with a 21gal sump.
And it is amazing. Every day I discover new things.

liviu.cristea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 07:49 AM   #10507
mrugank90
Registered Member

Hello,
After lurking in many forums for many months I finally decided to join because yesterday I did something crazy.
I drove 50 miles to the wood in New Jersey to buy a Fluval 13.5 from a guy looking to sell it.
If you are wondering why would I do that..well, he had the tank for less than 2 months.
It was a recently cycle completed tank with live rock & sand, all set up by a professional lfs. It also came with a heater.
Did I mention that he had a clown, puffer, yellow blenny and goby (too much imo) few turbo snails and a starfish.
I got this for a bargain of $170.

The reason I went out of my way to get this was because I was going to get the tank around black friday anyway. I would have loved the experience of cycling my entire tank and not taking a short cut..this being my first tank and all..

I live in Philadelphia and any experienced reefers around here, I would love to get in contact with you.

mrugank90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 10:49 AM   #10508
crow14
Registered Member

Hi, I'm relatively new to the salt water world of hobby. I've had several planted freshwater tanks over the last 10 years but finally have room for a decent size salt water aquarium. I've been reading up on as much as I can as I build the cabinet for my new 75 gallon build. Looking forward to learning and contributing here.

crow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 05:50 AM   #10509
Loosetenticle
Registered Member

Hello from New York City, im Carlos.

Loosetenticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 07:40 AM   #10510
Garvin6600
Registered Member

Hi All from the USA But.liing in Bangkokn, thailand ..40 yrs lol
Been keeping Reef Tanks a few years ..This go around ..
Was active 20+ yrs ago but life got in the way ..

I have a 350 gal w/ 100 gal sump. ..40 gal canister filter .
SkimZ M 252 .. internal.
Jaebo DCS 12 000 2 EA AND 2 jaebo Wave Makers WP 40. s ..for flow ..
In Desaster recovery mode just now ..
Holiday accident ..lost most fish ..Some very nice ones ..but Stuff happens ..
Just got an Apex Neptune 2016 ..
Looking for hands on help to set up...

Hopefully stopping desasters in future ...but no one at home to assist ..So ..

Anyhow ..
Anyone who heads bangkok way..I smoke a fair Pork Shoulder ..low and slow 14 hrs ...;-)
And all are welcome..Also generaly German beer in fridge . ..LOTS of it 555
So keep in mind !

Garvin

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Garvin6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 11:20 AM   #10511
sunkim622
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm Sun and I started the hobby 8 years ago. I've been a member of local forums for a long time but just found this one. I broke down my tank 3 years ago because of a move but after going on my honeymoon to Moorea, I got the itch again. Wife said ok to a nano so starting with a 28 gallon for now and hopefully will get back to owning another 120 gal+ in the near future.

Here is a cool video of a ~2 foot Titan Trigger off of our overwater bungalow.

sunkim622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:50 AM   #10512
Haley
Registered Member

Hi there!
I'm Haley! New to the forum not the hobby though. Been doing this for oh....16 years? I started very young with a 300g reef with my dad ! Had that tank for 13 years before it cracked on the bottom panel and I had to get rid of everything. Broke my heart and made me take a bit of a break from reefing. Since then I have been working at reef and local fish stores for a total of ten years! And I currently work at my LFS. Recently decided to try my own serious reef tank again after I fell in love with a golden dwarf moray pair !

Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 05:18 PM   #10513
Cornerboy
Registered Member

Question Corner build

What a great community!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!! I'm building a "getting started" corner. I picked up a used 29 for a sump and will be getting a used 44 pentagon. Eventually i'd like to have a larger 1/4 cylinder, manderins, sea slug(s ), and corals. I guess the next steps are building the stand, sump (w/refugium), and buying gear. Any tips at this point? I wondering about what i will be able to keep in the 44, how hard slugs are, if there is any reason to go wet/dry (not my plan at this point), stocking ideas... Thanks for your toughts!!

Cornerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 06:48 PM   #10514
Gsan
Registered Member

Hey guys

Hi i am new to the hobby and have a question..I have a 75 gallon tank set up with soft and lips corals and do weekly water changes with a quality salt and my levels never change they are also on the money .i test 2 times a week and they are good ..do I need to start dosing or just leave it? I have about 12 corals now n there..

Gsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 01:19 PM   #10515
Travelingjunk84
Registered Member

Woo Hoo ima Reefer now!

Hey there fellow reefers!

Cant wait to get my tank as beautiful as all of yours are.

I have recently was gifted an existing 29g bio cube with some live rock, live sand, 2 hermit crabs, 2 snails, 2 ocellaris, 1 blue tang (i dont know the sciency name).

The tank

28g Biocube:
-Aquaticlife 115 skimmer
-Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump 425
-Coralife s1000 Pump
-CerMedia MarinePure 1 litre Spheres

Lighting: I believe its all stock
1 - 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue
1 - 36 watt 10,000K Daylight
1 - 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar (3 Lunar Ble LED`s per bar)

Now the person that gave it to me stated that the Nitrates were high. Which i did the test with a strip and it does seem to be but a more accurate test would need to be performed.

I went to my LFS and they recommended a 10g water change. I only did 5g. But i will do another in a week. Slow is better right? I added some ChemiPure and changed the filter as well. Pretty sure i have my skimmer working good.

Any help would be great. Should i get those Hannah checkers? Phosphate or Phosphorus?

Thanks again!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E9262.jpg (63.9 KB, 13 views)
Travelingjunk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 12:54 PM   #10516
w_r_ellis
Registered Member

Hello all, name is Will. My daughter was just recently gifted a 90 gal marine tank by our pastor that was moving away. She is into marine biology, but has decided that this hobby is a bit more expensive than she can handle right now, so I have taken it over. Never been involved with the hobby before but after having it in the house and doing lots of research, I am hooked! Dealing with some algae and high nitrates, so in the process of getting that down and am researching installing an RO system to manage the water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w_r_ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 03:37 PM   #10517
BottomFeeding
Registered Member

I dig reefers

Retired in 95 from the NAVY. 3years and change before I retire from LA County, I need a hobby. Fresh water all my life but I always been fascinated with salt water. Reef tank with a couple of fish is for me. I have no clue but willing to get one. Experience is better then book sense. Starting small but thinking big. Appreciate any help....Your working with a clean slate

BottomFeeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 04:46 PM   #10518
Juskr6
Registered Member

Returning to the hobbie

My name is Justin, I live in Eden Prairie MN and I am getting back into the saltwater hobby. I am in the process of purchasing a 75 gallon existing reef tank. In the past I have had various fresh and saltwater tanks with my favorite being a 20 gallon housing a pair of tank raised seahorses.

Very excited to join this community and share experiences with others and enjoying all the pictures of various tanks.

Juskr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 05:07 PM   #10519
Maui Don
Registered Member

I"m new to this forum. Glad I found it. I have a 30 gallon salt water tank. Living on Maui makes it easy. I catch my own fish and do about a ten gallon water change every week or two. I collect water in one gallon jugs, twenty at a time. The water tests out good. No filter just LED lights and one pump to move the water around. Five fish and a Manta Shrimp that hitched in with some rocks. I'm retired so I have time to do a lot of diving and kayaking. Whales are just showing up. Last year a mother and calf came up to my kayak a hung so I jumped in with them. It was amazing. We had a count of about 15,000 Humpback Whales last year. Most of this video was shot our first year here with an early GoPro. I'm up to a GoPro 5 now. Don Enjoy https://youtu.be/CA7vKKYWIX4

Maui Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 04:00 PM   #10520
Eliemination
Registered Member

New to Reef Central! Have experience in both Freshwater, Brackish, and saltwater aquariums. Newbie in reef setups though.

Eliemination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 06:17 PM   #10521
ericb.
Registered Member

Hi RC. I'm back in the hobby after being out of it for about a decade. Current setup is a 32g "Nano". Working on a new setup for a 100+ gallon reef tank.

ericb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 10:05 PM   #10522
Parkey Canada
Registered Member

New 32 Biocube - New to Salt

Hi, I'm Dave, in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

BioCube 32, LED, Mostly stock with small mods, older guy with freshwater many, many years ago. Water went in about 2 weeks ago, put in a bunch of shrimp (bad idea, odour problems) took out all but one.

Currently, ammonia off the charts (yay, I think .. . ) I've got about 28 pounds of rock with a big bag of sand, waiting for the cycle to do it's thing.

I'm hoping for a reef with fish, have ZERO experience, I've been reading the forums and need a translator for short forms.

I am SO impressed with the sharing that goes on in this community, and I'm really looking forward to learning from you all, and hopefully, someday, paying that forward.

My current temptation is, while I wait for my cycle to end, deciding (learning) what goes in first. I gather clean up critters (cuc) are first on the list. I'm worried a bit that I need to quarantine them - I guess I'll need a secondary tank for a while - was't counting on that. Of course, I'll need that for every new member of my tank, I guess.

Can I do that in a 10 gallon with water from my main tank, a power head, a hang on filter - for a week or so to quarantine? will that work for future fish, coral, etc?

Lots to learn, and I appreciate that there are many to learn from!

Dave

Current Tank Info: Starting my set-up
Parkey Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 01:06 PM   #10523
Kjosephscott
Registered Member

New to RC and could really use some help

Hello RC,

I have be a closet reef aquarium owner for 10 years. I got a 120 Gal with various fish and coral from a friend getting deployed 10 years ago. I somehow have managed to keep the thing alive through three moves and even 9 months "in storage" with a friend who never changed the water and just made sure it was plugged in while I was in the hospital. I have most of the original corals and even a Gobi from the original owner. I moved it and stabilized it in my new home and it has been recovering nicely for 5 months. I was being a little stupid post hospital and bought a some new fish, some shrooms and some zooanthids right after I moved it. No problems and no changes for 4 months. 10-15% water changes every week because I have to hand carry the water. Last Sunday after being out of town for 4 days I cam home to a half dollar sized fresh dead zone on my brain coral. In 5 days it has quadrupled in size. Pics below. Please don't ask about my levels. I only know my salinity and it is within range. If anyone wants to recommend a good test kit, the one I have is 14 years old. So please no judging as I have managed to fake this for 10 years. Anyone have any obvious answers/solutions/recommended actions for me? Sorry if I should have jumped to a different thread. I have not figured that part our yet either.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full Aquarium sm.jpg (34.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Brain Dying Sm.jpg (72.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Dying Brian Sm2.jpg (35.7 KB, 16 views)
Kjosephscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 06:04 PM   #10524
Kjosephscott
Registered Member

Please direct me to another thread or resource...

At most this thing is gone in a couple of days

Unread 11/10/2017, 11:06 PM   #10525
Kjosephscott
Registered Member

OK Can anyone direct me to a more active forum.

I tried to help a friend 10 years ago and this is all I have left. Really could use some help on this.

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral