Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2014, 06:39 AM   #276
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Hey buddy, how is the Prodibio working out for you?

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2014, 11:17 AM   #277
cugly
Dansreeftank

Hey Mike didn't you have Barebottom it looks like you added some sand...tank looks great bud now lets see some more pics

Unread 11/19/2014, 01:28 PM   #278
steevareno2002
Registered Member

Hi. Can u tell me what return pump u had when you used your overflow as a sump? I want to copy that idea! Thx

Unread 11/21/2014, 09:57 PM   #279
steevareno2002
Registered Member

He's been online but doesn't answer? ??

Unread 11/21/2014, 10:17 PM   #280
Fishy 1
The Reefer From Downunder

He's a strange one

"The day that I stop learning will be the day that I die"

Current Tank Info: Newly Born Regency 220 "The Impulse Reef"
Fishy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 01:52 AM   #281
cugly
Dansreeftank

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevareno2002 View Post
Give him time he will answer ..

Unread 11/22/2014, 07:07 AM   #282
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Sometimes people come online to quickly check something up...but dont have the time to answer posts. I'm sure he is busy dealing with stuff.

Unread 11/22/2014, 08:07 AM   #283
Fishy 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Sometimes people come online to quickly check something up...but dont have the time to answer posts. I'm sure he is busy dealing with stuff.
Yeah agreed, life gets hectic and sometimes we don't have the time to spend online. We've all been there.

Unread 11/23/2014, 05:48 AM   #284
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi guys,sorry to skip the previous posts but i felt i bit awkward and i'd like to answer to this one first

Sorry for the late reply my friend but it wasn't done on purpose or indifference
You just caught me in in a time where my laptop is broken and my xbox one is claiming most of my time using call of duty as an excuse...gamers will always be boys,someone told me,even if they start a family-grow 60 years old or have a reef tank,lol
So whenever i have some free time i take my walk in RC from my mobile and it's reaaaaaaally hard for me to wright anything from there.
For now i use my old HP using xp(i feel like a caveman,lol) and death comes sooner compared to how slow this thing works

My deepest apollogies steev and i'll reply to your question asap buddy

Unread 11/23/2014, 06:33 AM   #285
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diciple View Post
i like the island,and the sand is very nice too this tank just keeps getting better everytime i see it!
Thank you so much diciple buddy,glad you like it
Made some more changes and coral relocating.Also added 2-3 new sps and removed all the chromis and anthias.So now it's only big balls and quasimodo again in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilo View Post
Great tank. I was about to tell you, your tank will have no growth unless you put sand.
Also, I LOVE the name of your wrasse! Best fitting name I've heard hands down.

Definitely going to do some homework on that probidio stuff. I've been seeing it everywhere. I run a sps only and only dose my little 2 part.
I dose 2 part too tilo and it works nice.
Prodibio is really nice stuff.

Glad you like quasimodo's name and the tank buddy.The second has still a long road ahead of it in order to look nice
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Looking awesome Mike, that rock scape and your acro placements are going to look crazy cool and wild as things grow in I've never seen a solitaryensis let alone had a chance to ever purchase one so i'm going to watch yours grow mate. I have a nice pink seri but i had to move it to the very back out of sight after the guys slagged me for having one
Get rid of the anthias, i hate two of my three and only like the little stunted runt one that looks like a cross between a fish and a rat - i have named him ratboy so he's staying now he has a name. The other two need an icepick in the head for bashing my flame angel Barry up.
You can't imagine how much i enjoy your posts biggles buddy!
Almost always you give me something to lough with!

Really glad you like it
I did manage to make that soli look brown,lol
Always had trouble keeping this coral's color:-(

I did get rid of the anthias and the other fish.BB started beeing aggresive towards them and the chromis started creating problems to the corals the hanged around.You know how difficult these suckers are to catch.So i saved me some (cod,lol)time,took both islands out and net them in 5 mins.

Lol with the ratboy and the icepick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifarmer View Post
nice rock works
Happy you like it ifarmer,thanks

Unread 11/23/2014, 06:56 AM   #286
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy 1 View Post
Mad mike, got any new pics for us
Yeah buddy but you know you can't expect nice pics from me,huh?
....only god knows what i'll go through now that you discovered my gamertag,lol

Quote:
Hey buddy, how is the Prodibio working out for you?
Hi my dear friend,it's woriking really nice.
Had some problem with the vials but with some imagination and glue i made some changes and now i just fill them when they are empty instead of replacing them.
To be honest with only two fishes in the tank,their job is relatively easy so i can't "drink water" in their name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cugly View Post
Hey Mike didn't you have Barebottom it looks like you added some sand...tank looks great bud now lets see some more pics
You are correct buddy,i did add sand.About 1cm only and hope the sand sifting star will keep it stirred and clean.
I'll post some pics in the next posts but please don't have big expectations from my photo skills

Quote:
He's a strange one
You and me both mate

Quote:
Give him time he will answer ..
Thanks dan buddy

Quote:
I'm dealing keeping a descent ratio in cod(can't say i manage to,lol) and that problematic laptop sahin buddy.
I hope i'll fix it soon.

Quote:
Yeah agreed, life gets hectic and sometimes we don't have the time to spend online. We've all been there.
True buddy

Unread 11/23/2014, 07:53 AM   #287
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi. Can u tell me what return pump u had when you used your overflow as a sump? I want to copy that idea! Thx
I had a compact eheim5000 steevareno buddy,working in it's full power.
It was really sillent but i guess you can use any pump that fits in your overflow box.I'm saying that because the eheim used 78w to work and the one i have now,only 24.
At the end of it,i made two outputs so it helped a bit more in the tank's circulation,saving me from at least one more pump.

The water level in the overflow box was 2-3 cm lower than the one in the main tank.If it got lower,water was making that splashing noise which bothered me

Used the following,with some teflon(don't know if spelling is correct) around the spiral,to seal the drain holes.Pic is fresh to make a mense for my delayed reply

The return pump was strong enough,so there was absolutely no detritus build up in the overflow box.Always stayed clean with no effort.

I liked about having the overflow box as a sump
-less noise in general
-easier and faster maintenance
-my house is really cold in the winter and hot in the summer.So working the overflow as a sump,made my water volume be as less as possible,so it was heated and cooled easier.No much water to escape from the right equipment.

disliked
-a bit limited regarding the equipment you can use.For example i wanted to use bio-pellets and even though their reactor fitted nicely(external) there was no space inside the overflow for the skimmer upgrade that was needed
-harder(at least in my case) to place the auto top off and other dosing equipment.But if you have space around the tank i guess you can place them around/to the side of the tank or even above it.

The above are based on my personal experience and the way my tank worked at that time,so maybe some of them will be different in your tank my friend.
I'm sure this way will help you with your back and make your life easier.
Whatever you need and i can be of any help,please don't hesitate to ask

p.s
Sorry again for the late reply

Unread 11/23/2014, 08:14 AM   #288
glaukos
Registered Member

And it's time for my really poor photo skills guys
I wanted to take more top down shots but time was limited because i was cleaning the sump and tank was without heat for 1+ hour

Warning...lps/clam spam,lol

Sorry for that my hardcore sps buddies

Unread 11/23/2014, 08:20 AM   #289
glaukos
Registered Member

changed soli's place and replaced it with a new "branching spot" and placed a new nice acro.
Soli went to the right island

Can you spot that sneaky quasimodo???

That aculeus is starting to color up really nice,much better than in the pic tbh

Nothing special but thought to share this too

Unread 11/23/2014, 08:33 AM   #290
glaukos
Registered Member

I really don't know the reason but i really like this bb's pic guys

While cleaning the sump i discovered this

This was the magnet that was holding my float valve.Last time i checked it was 2 months ago so i'm guessing the magnet was like that at least a month.
Can't say it did anything bad to the tank though.Corals are fine.Don't know what would happen if it stayed longer in there looking like that.
Off course i replaced it now:-)

And the i bought two amazing frags of a green stag with blue tips and replaced the big digi of the left island,down on the left side and the tank looks like this now,while i'm waiting that new stag to outgrow that empty space

I apologize for the many and rather bad pics buddies
Thanks for watching

Unread 11/23/2014, 09:27 AM   #291
steevareno2002
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Mike. No problem on the late reply. I really like your sps islands!

Unread 11/23/2014, 10:38 AM   #292
reefmutt
Registered Member

Still lovin' the scape and I have decided! I am getting an Achilles!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 11:05 AM   #293
cugly
Dansreeftank

Looks great Mike I am glad the achiles is doing great

Unread 11/23/2014, 05:33 PM   #294
Fishy 1

The tank is looking awesome Mike. That magnet is nasty, I would say that it would have affected the tank eventually if you didn't find it. Love the Achilles pic too

Unread 11/24/2014, 04:53 AM   #295
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Looking great Mike That magnet could have caused some issues with the corals for sure.

Unread 11/24/2014, 06:00 AM   #296
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info Mike. No problem on the late reply. I really like your sps islands!
Thank you steev,glad you like it;-)
Please update me(with a link or p.m) when you are ready,regarding your actions with your sumpless plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Still lovin' the scape and I have decided! I am getting an Achilles!!
Thanks matt,glad you like it buddy!
I'm with you on the achilles :love2
Your decision is wise:-p

Quote:
Looks great Mike I am glad the achiles is doing great
Thanks mate!Happy you like it dan.I had some second thoughts after the coral relocating but i think that as the corals grow it'll look better...at least that's what i hope
Yeah bb is more calm now that the "smallballbusters" are out of his sight
What i forgot to mention before is that i quarantine him.After the addition of the chromis and anthias ick was introduced again in the tank.:-)
But with the help of his godfather and copper he was fine again.
Don't know why but he was never happy with the addition of all those fish,regardless of ich.

Quote:
The tank is looking awesome Mike:thumbsup. That magnet is nasty, I would say that it would have affected the tank eventually if you didn't find it. Love the Achilles pic too: )
Thanks rory mate,glad you like it
Still has a long way ahead though...i hate patience
Since you like the pic too,what's wrong with me is wrong with you also:lo l::lo l:
That magnet was nasty!

Quote:
Looking great Mike :beer That magnet could have caused some issues with the corals for sure. :eek2
Thank you my dear friend,it means a lot that you like it
I really don't know what could happen and i'm glad i didn't find out the hard way.
The only think i noticed those last couple of weeks was that the polyps where a bit retracted but i don't know if it's the magnet to blame.

At the moment i'm trying to keep me away from the tank.
You know that once something gets in my head i have hard time to get it out
My last "itch" is to completely remove the overflow box.
The plan is to drill some holes in the back of it,close my drain holes like i did when i was sumpless and remove these overflow glass.
It will make the tank look bigger,bb will sure enjoy that extra space(which i know isn't hat extra:-) ).
I'm not sure yet if i'll do it though.The only thing that stops me atm is my boredom

Unread 11/24/2014, 06:01 AM   #297
Fishy 1

Haha lol, great minds think alike

Unread 11/24/2014, 09:02 AM   #298
markalot

Looking fantastic, enjoyed reading through the thread. I'm glad you were able to replace your tang. I loved the AIO overflow while you had that running, and now the mini sump.

Unread 11/25/2014, 07:18 AM   #299
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Haha lol, great minds think alike
I have no mind left mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Looking fantastic, enjoyed reading through the thread. I'm glad you were able to replace your tang. I loved the AIO overflow while you had that running, and now the mini sump.
Thank you mark,much appreciated buddy
Happy you enoyed the thread!

Yeah,bb's arrival was unexpected.
I thought it would be 2-3 months before i have another achilles but only in one week,i was lucky to have him in the tank
Can't beleive how fast those 11 months passed already!

Thanks again

Unread 11/25/2014, 08:09 AM   #300
Fishy 1

Quote:
I have no mind left
That makes two of us then