Reef Central Online Community
Champion Lighting

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/18/2008, 07:00 AM   #1
bunkerboy
Registered Member

velvet help please

history. 72 gallon bowfront originally freshwater for years turned to FOWLR. Placed 40lbs of base dry rock and 20lbs or so of fully cured rock from my 90 FOWLR tank that has been running for almost a year... three fish added one at a time, spaced almost a week apart, all three were dead from velvet sbout two weeks later. I think it was the brown tang that brought it in, it was 50% off.... never buy a fish on sale... i did not treat the tank, and took out the smallest fish, which is a benggai cardinal and placed him in ten gallon QT, treated with copper, but the tang and flame angel i did not have enough QT tanks large enough for them, and i hear that copper can kill the flames. So i have been reading alot of conflicting info on net regarding treatment, etc on velvet... unfortunately i did not notice the disease until it was way too late... have never seen it before, and now hindsight is 20/20. So i had nothing in the 72 gallon tank for three weeks, and decided to try two little blue damsels at 23 days.... that was monday, and this morning i notice the scurge again. How can this happen? I read one person threw everything out that was in his tank, ran like three gallons of bleach and water through tank for days, and then restarted. Is this what i should do? I do have copper. should i risklosing all my worms and beneficial bacteria? should i let tank sit for a longer period of time with nothing in it, and try again? Any help would be greatly appreciated, i am very frustrated. Thanks. Bunker

bunkerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2008, 02:54 PM   #2
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Nothing drastic is needed. Remove all fish and keep tank fishless for 4-6 weeks, 6 being preffered. Treat fish with copper. Some fish are more copper sensitive. That is why I use Cupramine which is not as toxic. I've used it on numerous fish including flames. The new fish could also have brough it in. QT all new fish.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2008, 05:34 PM   #3
luamada
Love saltwater fishes...

I am new to it. What is Velvet? Thanks

luamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2008, 09:29 PM   #4
pescadero
Moved On

google is your friend. there are also other threads in this forum that discuss velvet. the sticky threads at the top are an especially good place to start reading.

pescadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2008, 09:25 AM   #5
nureefer2008
Moved On

I have found treating velvet or ich with hyposalinity to be very effective for me. Search the forum for hyposalinity treating and it will give u step by step.
good luck

nureefer2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2008, 11:49 AM   #6
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Hypo does NOT treat velvet. Only ich.

Some good reading: http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...reatments.html

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote