Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2004, 04:41 AM   #251
Masoch
Registered Member

I think there should be categories for awards ...

Best (in)appropriate use of regular household objects.

Nuttiest wiring.

Most creative use of tape (could be split into duct and electrical, if the need arises).

Nuttiest plumbing.

Most dangerous.

Best location.

Best overall.

I was going to show how I crammed 2x55 watt PCs into a retrofit designed for 1 ... with legs made of a muffin fan and a piece of acrylic ... sitting on a glass cover so it wouldn't fall into my 20.

But, damn, that doesn't even come close to some of these.

Masoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2004, 09:36 AM   #252
Yellotang
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Masoch
I think there should be categories for awards ...

Best (in)appropriate use of regular household objects.

Nuttiest wiring.

Most creative use of tape (could be split into duct and electrical, if the need arises).

Nuttiest plumbing.

Most dangerous.

Best location.

Best overall.

I was going to show how I crammed 2x55 watt PCs into a retrofit designed for 1 ... with legs made of a muffin fan and a piece of acrylic ... sitting on a glass cover so it wouldn't fall into my 20.

But, damn, that doesn't even come close to some of these.

This is sounding cooler all the time. Lets do it.

Yellotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2004, 10:44 AM   #253
tacocat
Premium Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=helicopter

Current Tank Info: 240g Starphire cube
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2004, 10:53 AM   #254
Yellotang
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=helicopter
Haha, that is too funny. These guys will think up anything.

Unread 06/11/2004, 03:29 PM   #255
jun41
Registered Member

That is awesome.

jun41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2004, 04:39 PM   #256
invincible569
Registered Member

I always wondered why so many people have so many problems with their aquariams. This shows some of the reasons why. If the tank is ghettofied, then im sure whats in it is also.

invincible569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2004, 05:42 PM   #257
Yellotang
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
This shows some of the reasons why. If the tank is ghettofied, then im sure whats in it is also.
Yep, I have used hairnets, super glue and rubber-bands to attach corals in my tank.

Unread 06/12/2004, 05:44 PM   #258
toshad
Registered Member

from page 10, The kenmore filter system works like a charm. no i can buy some fish.

Unread 06/12/2004, 09:01 PM   #259
bronzermike54
Registered Member

Just wanted to say, I don't have a ghetto tank, but my wife ripped out the carpet and replaced it with ceramic tile in our great room to make way for my 350g acrylic tank just so's I COULD spit out siphon water if I wanted.
What a great wife!

Current Tank Info: Have a 110-g tall freshwater cichlid tank, and a 350-g-custom-built acrylic tank, cycled and with fish, corals and verts with 400-plus pounds of LR.
bronzermike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2004, 11:29 PM   #260
kfisc
Registered Member

sump

my sump- a 10g sitting on plastic bins in a 30g, nasty 'ol N.O. with cookie tin reflectors, a euro-reef next to a 15-year-old whisper jet and, ahem, a prizm skimmer. Nice bunch of pods, tho- a mysid factory.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 05:10 AM   #261
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

Quote:
I always wondered why so many people have so many problems with their aquariams. This shows some of the reasons why. If the tank is ghettofied, then im sure whats in it is also.
This would be the part where I get totally yelled at by the mods for cussing

I will defend my science project as being very sophsticated and fine tuned over many many years. Why do the corals care if there are no doors on my stands and all my ballasts are screwed into the wall or on top of the stand backs(for safety). I have dispensed with(or never implemented it in the first place) all the aesthetic frippery because the corals don't care and it just gets in the way. $200 acrylic sump or a pair of $4 tubs are still of no concern to the corals. Anyway, you get the idea.

If you want to get into a wee-wee contest of biodiversity/species count and overall bioproduction vs $ thrown into equipment, bring it!

Furthermore, I think if you do an accurate study on the profiles of people with problems, you will probably find that it was those people who rushed their reef, did inadequate maintenance/testing etc or just didn't accumulate enough knowledge before starting who have the biggest problems. And everyone gets blindsided occasionally with crazy left field things they never saw coming. This has nothing to do with $ spent either.

Also regarding ghetto contents, a pair of Iwasakis @$55 each, a pair of $30 advance ballasts and a pair of $8 mogul sockets will grow coral as well or better than ANY other pair of 250w lightbulbs on the market. (10kK HQI DE's excepted)
The big$ is for when you get pickier about the color or want a really nice lighting unit. The corals still don't care.

Rock on all you ghetto reefers!!!!!!!!

edit: Well it is 7 am, time to turn the valves on to the junk box, the prop tank and the SPS tank, as they have been feeding since 4am
The gorg tank will get to eat tomorrow. Sometimes I do wish I had the cash for a PLC and some solenoid valves so I could automate the feeding sequences, but such is ghetto life

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 05:43 AM   #262
mickey57
Premium Member

.....You PRISSY LITTLE________Your ignorence about reef keeping surpasses your people skills
......quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....***,I would put the tanks in here up against any thing you could possibly conceive from you narrow minded butttttt.You must be very unimageble,If it wasn't for the DIYer you wouldn't have that sweat pretty little girls tank.

.......Frick-n-Frags did I about cover it for us experimentors???
....This is a draft of what I was going to write,but I would like your opinion before I

Current Tank Info: (3)reefs: 75gl bowfront,(2)46 bowfronts:(1) 76gal bowfront(discus).(1) 49gal quarintine,(1)55gal.chilads (1)29gal.propegating tank
mickey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 06:27 AM   #263
petedoc
Premium Member

I have been following this thread for some time now and have really enjoyed the amazing ingenuity that some people employ to solve challenging and difficult problems. From some of these ideas I am certain eventual usable inventions may be made. Some appear rather hazardous, but you can't judge a book by it's cover. Just because a plumbing or electrical system appears neat and elegantly designed doesn't guaranty disaster won't occur.

Current Tank Info: 270Reef w/Chrysurus Angel,Vlamingi Tang, Atlantic Blue Tang, Dispar Anthias, Sargassum Trigger
petedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 06:52 AM   #264
BUD
Registered Member

I got to see Lobsters pics, but I just get red x. Any tips on how fix this? thanks-Brian

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 07:08 AM   #265
sdbeazley
Registered Member

Look at my ghetto hood! If there wan`t so much glare you would see my drip airline of topoff!!!

sdbeazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 08:44 AM   #266
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

mikey57, you possess the essence of my frustration at comments like that for sure.

But also, no matter how frustrated we get at people, you cannot get personal. Trust me, I have to choose my words very carefully at times . IMO, you maybe should edit that one line in your post, and yell at them really loud in your monitor, and everything will be kosh . I would rather throw facts and results at hogwash vs also stooping to hogwash.

I also fear I am helping kill this thread, so I'll get off this topic and let the thread get back to all the cool ghetto rigs that people own.

Also sometimes poverty is the mother of invention

petedoc: have you ever seen the "vidi vicci veni" t-shirts? I lost it when I saw that one, nuff said

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 08:50 AM   #267
porky
CORA President

sdbeazley, put a reflector on that thing bro! Or some aluminum foil or something!
Just a side note on Frick, I don't think there are very many people on this board that know more about reefkeeping than Jeff. Period!

Current Tank Info: 125 AGA, Large Polyp Stonies dominate! Followed by soft corals and clams.
porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 08:51 AM   #268
sfshea
Registered Member

sdbeazley: great day to day use of the Dictionary, Thesaurus, Quotations, and Grammar books. (lower left of photo.) You clearly have the most literate reef.

sfshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 09:31 AM   #269
tacocat
Premium Member

beazley, that looks like The Luxor hotel

Current Tank Info: 240g Starphire cube
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 03:54 PM   #270
sdbeazley
Registered Member

Thanks, the glare is from the room lighting reflecting off of the laminated map behind the tank. But yeah I need to do something about some of the glare since the bayco reflectors dont cover half of it. I guess I will usesome of my aluminum tape!

sdbeazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2004, 04:09 PM   #271
Yellotang
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdbeazley
Look at my ghetto hood! If there wan`t so much glare you would see my drip airline of topoff!!!
Wow, that hurts my eyes just looking at it through a laptop monitor.

4 out of 5

Unread 06/17/2004, 02:02 AM   #272
Scorched_Ice7
Registered Member

Just commenting on the clown fry with Mr Potato head. That is one of the coolest pictures Ive ever seen! I can only imagine if you showed that to a group of little kids what would happen. Look its NEMO, and NEMO, look at all those NEMOS.

Scorched_Ice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2004, 05:16 PM   #273
BallaBooyeaH
Premium Member

In ta Hood

Well I am glad to see that the Getto is alive and kicking in Saltwater land.

i am currently building a 90 gallon stand and boy does it suck. i am thinking of scraping it and starting again but here it is anyway for a laugh.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf print getto tank.pdf (12.6 KB, 223 views)

Current Tank Info: New 90 in progress
BallaBooyeaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2004, 06:20 PM   #274
BlennyBabe
Registered Member

OK I finally got a good picture of my ghetto canopy. Its made from corrougated galvanized aluminum (or something) that is folded and screwed to two half circles of plywood. I plan on building a better one this summer, but until then, here it is. Note the hole in the top where it has rusted through... and the lovely splice job on the wireing.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_...500&ppuser=217

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon, sps & lps dominated,
BlennyBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2004, 06:38 PM   #275
Yellotang
Premium Member

Re: In ta Hood

Quote:
Originally posted by BallaBooyeaH
Well I am glad to see that the Getto is alive and kicking in Saltwater land.

i am currently building a 90 gallon stand and boy does it suck. i am thinking of scraping it and starting again but here it is anyway for a laugh.
That's not bad at all.