Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2019, 08:18 PM   #1
john08007
Registered Member

How to stop neon green cyano-hair algae

I have a 75gal mixed reef that i am working on getting back in shape. I had a bad hair algae problem. I started to dose seaklear phosphate remover(1.0ml/1000ml ro water) using 5 micron filter bags and an iv bag. I just measured my phosphate with a redsea kit, measures .02, nitrate measured zero, i was surprised so i tried an api kit, also measured 0. My problem is, i have what looks like cyano on my gravel in a few patches but its not the dark red i am use to, its almost neon green. I also noticed some strings in my sump the same color. My ph according to my apex averages 8.35. My question is, can the cyano looking algae be using all the nitrate in the system making it read 0? I purchased red sea no pox, i was going to start dosing it thinking it would help but was thrown for a loop with the zero nitrate reading. My ultimate goal is to rid the tank of all the algae and get the coraline algae to start spreading again till it takes over all the rocks.

john08007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 10:53 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

The cyanobacteria might be pulling net nutrients from the water column, and the nitrate level of zero makes sense, given that. I might try some GFO, since that sometimes help, and it is more effective at the low end of the phosphate scale. How long has the cyanobacteria been present?

Unread 03/24/2019, 07:12 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Your mistaken in thinking that cyano is because of elevated nutrient levels...
There is thought that its more from an imbalance than an elevation..

Unread 03/24/2019, 07:54 AM   #4
john08007
Registered Member

There have been some small patches that have come and gone not long after i started the seaklear dosing. Recently they have become bigger. They are nothing like the thick dark red mats ive seen covering rocks and everything else in previous outbreaks.

Unread 03/24/2019, 10:11 AM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

It's hard to say what will work. You might try cutting back on feeding or the nutrient control approach that I mentioned. They are easy to try and sometimes help.

Unread 03/24/2019, 10:49 AM   #6
john08007
Registered Member

Few months ago i upgraded from a 20g sump to a 40g breeder, i had a uv filter, charcoal, bio pellet, gfo reactors on my old sump. I havent put them back in yet, maybe putting them back in this week will solve the problem. I also have a doser for cal, alk, mag i wanna get going. Im thinking getting this all working will stabalize the tank and the coraline should take off again.