Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2018, 01:45 PM   #1
luckyk0505
Registered Member

How to reduce shimmer on Kessil

I have a single Kessil 360WE over 32x24x20 (66g) tank. I had an extra one from my 210g tank which I am currently using it on this 66g. The tank is FO with no corals. I get this crazy shimmer which makes the tank look very dim. When I turn off my powerheads, I get no shimmer and tank looks great. Is there any way to reduce the shimmer? I tried to reduce the surface agitation by lowering the powerhead. However, I cannot eliminate the surface agitation. For flow, I am using eheim 1260 as return and 2 x vortech mp40wqd at 30%. I am not interested in par as I will not have any corals to grow. I just want the tank to look bright to maximize color of fishes.

thanks,

luckyk0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Rover88
Registered Member

By the shimmer, do you mean like a rainbow discoball effect?

If its that, try to distance the light. The surface of the water is refracting the light when the powerheads are on, and I know it has something to do with LED spacing if thats the case.

If its not like that, then ignore me!

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 02:14 PM   #3
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
By the shimmer, do you mean like a rainbow discoball effect?

If its that, try to distance the light. The surface of the water is refracting the light when the powerheads are on, and I know it has something to do with LED spacing if thats the case.

If its not like that, then ignore me!
Kessil is one of the only LED's that does not exhibit color separation (discoball) effect so raising the fixture will not help. Kessil has a more distinct shimmer than even metal halide because all the light is coming from under one lense rather than having a reflector to bounce extra light around so .

OP, not sure if you can make it look good but can you shine the kessil through a diffusing sheet? (something like this https://www.amazon.com/Rosco-Cinegel...diffusing+film not that exact one, just an example) Diffusion will soften the shadow edges. If it was a reef tank I would suggest adding a pair of t-5 but that would be a waste of power here. The extra diffused light from the t-5 would soften the shimmer.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 02:47 PM   #4
luckyk0505
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I would certainly consider adding diffusing sheet. Will this eliminate the shimmer? Or reduce most of it?

luckyk0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 03:17 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyk0505 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would certainly consider adding diffusing sheet. Will this eliminate the shimmer? Or reduce most of it?
The diffusing sheet would eliminate most if not all of the shimmer. My concern would be the heat from the Kessil melting that diffuser.

Kessil actually makes a diffuser for the AP700 but it won’t work on the A360. I just tested it and it’s too small and won’t stick since it uses magnets to attach to the AP700 and the 360 bezzel is made from aluminum.

Your best bet is to raise the Kessils and reduce the surface agitation. Or, if it just the brightness or lack of that bothers you, just increase the color channel to make the light whiter.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 12:59 AM   #6
lightdir71
Registered Member

as someone who deals with theatrical/ rock and roll lighting everyday, might i suggest making your own diffuser. Simply find a theatrical store near you or order a sheet online. standard sheet of gel is 20" x 24" and designed to work with 750- 1000 watt lamps.they make a variety of frost and diffusion gel to play with. just a thought.

lightdir71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 07:46 PM   #7
zachfishman
Registered Member

^^^And let us know how it turns out. I was just poking around RC looking for this exact thing!

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 07:14 AM   #8
[]V[]addog
Registered Member

overlapping pendants will diffuse it, also, slow down your surface agitation. that also helps.

i personally like the look, looks natural if you get it right.

[]V[]addog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 07:31 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

point source light + surface agitation = shimmer..

I suggest you just get used to it or replace the kessil with a light with a more spread out light source.. (most LED fixtures will all show shimmer and many users enjoy LEDs just because of that.. shimmer for many is a desirable thing..)

You can also add supplemental t5 fixture which should reduce it some..

IMO a diffuser will not help much..

Unread 01/24/2018, 11:04 AM   #10
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Buy the diffuser lense for the ap700 it might fit over the 360

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
boxfishpooalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 12:15 PM   #11
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfishpooalot View Post
Buy the diffuser lense for the ap700 it might fit over the 360
It won't work. I have the AP700 diffusers at home and immediately tested it when I saw this thread. They won't stick the 360 and there is no way to safely attach them. The diffuser lens is also slightly smaller then the lens of the 360WE's.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote