Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/26/2018, 04:45 PM   #1
laverda
Registered Member

Apex dosing pump Controller

I have a couple of different dosing pumps, Bubble Maxus, Seaside, BRS and more. I am not really happy with any of them. The Bubble Maxis, Jaebo and Seaside dont have the flexability to dose just at nigh or during the day. The BRS and other seperate dosers are very bulky by comparison and require an EB8 outlet each. which would be ok if I only wanted one or 2 dosers. I am using the DSR method and dosing ALK, CA, Mag, Potasium, Strontium, Iodine, Iron and Vinegar. It seams like it would be pretty easy to set up the inxepensive add-on units from Bubble Maxis, Jaebo or Seaside to be controlled by the Apex or even controll the pump heads directly. The addon units have a eithernet connection that they receive the control signal for the master units. I would think this could some how be controlled by the Apex. This is a behond my electronic skills. I am open to ideas.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2018, 06:36 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I have a Jebao... I can dose just at night or during the day if I want.. It has a real time clock and time based dosing schedule...
Pretty sure the bubble magus and seaside does also..

You may want to try to read the manuals before you try to reinvent the wheel...

Old 04/27/2018, 09:03 AM   #3
GreenTankCorals
Registered Member

Apex DOS is bulky but extremely flexible and reliable!

GreenTankCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2018, 09:45 AM   #4
Wally.B
Registered Member

Hi Laverda,

I got your PM so am replying here.

If you have a manual (EB8 Driven) dosing pump, you can program the Apex to dose at anytime, and spread out the dose.

Rather than figure out the Apex Code, this program will generate the code for you.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

Of course, if you are an Advance Electronic hobbyist with some Ardiuno programming skills, you can pick your Own Pump Heads [I picked Kamoer] and build a Custom Doser like I did (since no doser on the market could do what I wanted).

Does more than just Dosing. (Integrates with Apex, and does my Water changes too)

Original Testing Video HERE:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2636837

DESIGN DETAIL HERE:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFAtzBtKVhA

It's been running very reliable for a year.
I can pre-mix my solutions and reverse pumps to keep dosing tubes clean.
I can dose 1000ml, or 1/2 a drop.

Even has Color Coded status lighting.

But this kind of DYI is Advanced stuff. But possible if the need or skill/desire to learn is there.
Fun to build you own, if you do something RELIABLE. (I tested for months, before I put in real fuilds)

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2018, 10:03 PM   #5
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I have a Jebao... I can dose just at night or during the day if I want.. It has a real time clock and time based dosing schedule...
Pretty sure the bubble magus and seaside does also..

You may want to try to read the manuals before you try to reinvent the wheel...
I have the manuals for the Bubble Maxus and Seaside dosers and have read them. On the Seaside you tell it how many ml to dose and how many times a day. There is no way to dose at a specific time of day. My BM doser died, but I recall it being pretty much the same. I donít have a Jeabo and am not very fond of their products, but will look at their manual.

Old 04/27/2018, 10:05 PM   #6
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTankCorals View Post
Apex DOS is bulky but extremely flexible and reliable!
And pricey, especially if you want 4 of them!

Old 04/27/2018, 10:35 PM   #7
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Hi Laverda,

I got your PM so am replying here.

If you have a manual (EB8 Driven) dosing pump, you can program the Apex to dose at anytime, and spread out the dose.

Rather than figure out the Apex Code, this program will generate the code for you.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

Of course, if you are an Advance Electronic hobbyist with some Ardiuno programming skills, you can pick your Own Pump Heads [I picked Kamoer] and build a Custom Doser like I did (since no doser on the market could do what I wanted).

Does more than just Dosing. (Integrates with Apex, and does my Water changes too)

Original Testing Video HERE:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2636837

DESIGN DETAIL HERE:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFAtzBtKVhA

It's been running very reliable for a year.
I can pre-mix my solutions and reverse pumps to keep dosing tubes clean.
I can dose 1000ml, or 1/2 a drop.

Even has Color Coded status lighting.

But this kind of DYI is Advanced stuff. But possible if the need or skill/desire to learn is there.
Fun to build you own, if you do something RELIABLE. (I tested for months, before I put in real fuilds)
Wally
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 BRS dosers controlled by my Apex now along with 2 Seaside dossers. The Seaside dosers donít have the control I would like, are a pain to change especially if I just want to reduce the amount I am dosing a little. They are compact and just require 2 power cords. The BRS dosers are bulky and require a EB8 port and power cord each.
Your thread is what gott me thinking there must be a way to easily control multiple dosing pumps with an Apex. I think your design is over my head and was thinking there must be a simpler way to control 12v pumps with the Apex. Perhaps via the one link module.

Old 04/27/2018, 10:59 PM   #8
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
Wally
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 BRS dosers controlled by my Apex now along with 2 Seaside dossers. The Seaside dosers don’t have the control I would like, are a pain to change especially if I just want to reduce the amount I am dosing a little. They are compact and just require 2 power cords. The BRS dosers are bulky and require a EB8 port and power cord each.
Your thread is what gott me thinking there must be a way to easily control multiple dosing pumps with an Apex. I think your design is over my head and was thinking there must be a simpler way to control 12v pumps with the Apex. Perhaps via the one link module.
Well if you want Apex to control your pumps, that has to be 1 EB8 Port per pump.
If you equal dose Alk & Calcium then you could put two pumps on 1 EB8 Plug and just run dosing tube to two different areas so they mix into tank separately.
I did that years ago.

You mention you don't want to use EB8 Port. I used to use a good Timer with Battery backup (coin cell to not loose time if power failure). That could turn on and off down to 1 minute granularity. Just get a Dosing pump with thinner diameter tube so 1 minute is small dose.

I got these pumps (about $8 US each now....I paid $12)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kamo...311.0.0.e6GD2D
12 Volt version. S04 Thinnest tube. Which would roughly give you 11ml per minute. The 3volt give you 5.2ml per minute. (not great granularity, not terrible.... but it depends on your dosing needs....Like I said, I used to dose 1min,2min, etc in the past (and change weekly dose Total, by not dosing every day), ....better than hand manual dosing weekly or monthly like some people do).

I checked the Kamoer pumps again. They even have smaller ones KPP model, 1ml per minute. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/micr...ceBeautifyAB=0
If 1ml per minute, it can be run on a minute timer, and no need to use EB8.

But if you get into larger quantity dosing like 40ml-100ml+, it will run long and wear out the tube faster.
So pick the right type of pump.

Last edited by Wally.B; 04/27/2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04/27/2018, 11:20 PM   #9
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
And pricey, especially if you want 4 of them!
Yes too expensive for me. If more than 1.

The only thing reliable about a doser is the PUMP and what controls it.
Get a good doser head pump and it will work. The Kamoer brand is top notch even if you don't go the very expensive stepper motor.
Their inside tubes are replaceable and all have to be replaced after a few years. (200hrs running time is spec, on Silicone, 1000hrs on BPT but last way more) So not yearly.
It got BPT (I thought I got silicone), and I got it to not replace tubes.

And if you run it with Apex (EB8), the it's just as reliable and controllable as a Apex Doser.

Last edited by Wally.B; 04/27/2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04/28/2018, 12:10 AM   #10
laverda
Registered Member

Wally, I think I will just buy some DC power supply’s and pick some of the Kamoer pumps like you suggest. I am guessing I could us 10 volt supplies or even a reastat if I want one or 2 to dose less per min.

Old 04/28/2018, 06:22 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
I have the manuals for the Bubble Maxus and Seaside dosers and have read them. On the Seaside you tell it how many ml to dose and how many times a day. There is no way to dose at a specific time of day.
So are you wanting to dose multiple times only at night?
A single nightly dosage is possible but it doesn't look like multiples are with the seaside unit..

The jebao unit though certainly would allow dosing at anytime/multiples,etc...
Its been very reliable for me..

Old 04/28/2018, 07:44 PM   #12
laverda
Registered Member

I want to dose at night on one channel and during the day on another. Most channels I want to dose several times a day up to 24 times a day. And some I want to dose less the a minute worth at a time.
I am glad the Jebao has been reliable for you. That has not been my experience with their products.

Old 04/29/2018, 10:15 AM   #13
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I want to dose at night on one channel and during the day on another. Most channels I want to dose several times a day up to 24 times a day. And some I want to dose less the a minute worth at a time.
I am glad the Jebao has been reliable for you. That has not been my experience with their products.
I think the Jebao products are great for price, but it's a hit and miss.

I bought two of the Circulation pumps. One is running for over two years. One failed on seal, corroded, and rusted out.

Would I get a Jebao product again. Maybe...but Probably not since it's costing me more for a replacement, then getting a quality product. And the headache of failure.

Old 05/01/2018, 06:11 PM   #14
laverda
Registered Member

I found out the one link has 2 switchs for 24 volt DC. But that would make it very expensive just to control 2 dosing pumps.

Old 05/01/2018, 06:33 PM   #15
homer1475
Registered Member

Ever look at the kore fifth unit(5 dosing heads)? I think they actually have a kore seven now with 7 dosing heads, or it's coming soon.

It's a stand alone unit, only requires one plug, and can be programmed any way you want to. Not exactly cheap, but a very reliable piece of equipment.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2018, 10:39 AM   #16
laverda
Registered Member

I have not primarily due to the cost. I have heard the are very reliable. I am not happy with the ones I have. I see the have a new starter system that is just the doser for $300.00 which is more reasonable.I will look into it more.

Last edited by laverda; 05/02/2018 at 10:52 AM.

Tags
dosing controller