Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2017, 06:29 AM   #5501
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

My new Regal:

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:13 AM.
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 04:54 AM   #5502
alton
Registered Member

welcome to the club

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 11:38 AM   #5503
OrionN
Moved on

I posted this on the other Regal angle thread. Will copy it here also.
These are pictures of the Regal angels at about the same size for color comparison, both baby and both adult coloration but not fully adult. The shape of my IO regal is more elongate in compare to the body shape of my Indo Pacific (IP). This is likely due to the IO is the male and IP is a female.
As you can see, whether RS/IO/IP, all are extremely graceful and exceptionally beautiful fish.

Baby IP

Baby IO

Semi adult female IP

Semi adult Male RS

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 05:43 PM   #5504
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I think the actual color difference between Indian Ocean and Red Sea individuals is minute. Though I feel that the bars of Red Sea specimens are narrower which gives Red Sea Regals a more orange-yellow appearance.
With Indo-Pacific specimens the bars are even wider which gives Pacific Regals a different appearance. In combination with the blue-gray chest it gives them it gives them a more bluish appearance which comes out best under more actinic light.

Minh, is the first one the Philippines Regal you got from me? The one I kept is much more blue-gray in the head. Only his snout and ventral fins are yellow, and of course the yellow body base color.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 05:50 PM   #5505
OrionN
Moved on

ThRoewer,
Pictures 1 and 3 above are pictures of the same Regal Angel from Indo-Pacific two years apart, not one of the fish I got from you. That picture, numger 3, is abotu 1 year ago. She is a bit bigger and darker in coloration. I have not taken any picture of my Regals lately.
The second picture is a IO, Mardive, I got from LA and the last picture is the RS Regal I got from Alton.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 05/18/2017 at 06:26 PM.
Unread 05/18/2017, 08:46 PM   #5506
JustinM
Registered Member

I can finally say my regal is eating flakes now out of the column. Turns out he had intestinal worms and a few rounds of metroplex fixed his appetite right up. Can't wait for qt to be done.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 01:03 AM   #5507
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
I can finally say my regal is eating flakes now out of the column. Turns out he had intestinal worms and a few rounds of metroplex fixed his appetite right up. Can't wait for qt to be done.
Did you bind the metro into food or dose it into the water column?

Unread 05/19/2017, 05:19 AM   #5508
alton
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
ThRoewer,
Pictures 1 and 3 above are pictures of the same Regal Angel from Indo-Pacific two years apart, not one of the fish I got from you. That picture, numger 3, is abotu 1 year ago. She is a bit bigger and darker in coloration. I have not taken any picture of my Regals lately.
The second picture is a IO, Mardive, I got from LA and the last picture is the RS Regal I got from Alton.
that Alton is a nice guy
A little story Minh lives 180 miles south of me so I drove 90 miles south and he drove 90 miles north to meet up and transfer the fish. Glad he is doing well.

Unread 05/19/2017, 06:43 AM   #5509
OrionN
Moved on

That Alton is a nice guy for sure. In addition to the Red Sea Regal Angel, I also got a Cheveron Tang from Alton.
Alton are you going to be at the frag swab this weekend? I will be there with a table.

Unread 05/19/2017, 10:20 AM   #5510
JustinM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMacro View Post
Did you bind the metro into food or dose it into the water column?
I used focus to bind it with the metro but he wasn't eating flake/frozen then. I ended up just dosing the water hoping for the best. It seemed to work. No more strong, white waste, and his appetite has grown immensely.

Unread 05/19/2017, 12:37 PM   #5511
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
That Alton is a nice guy for sure. In addition to the Red Sea Regal Angel, I also got a Cheveron Tang from Alton.
Alton are you going to be at the frag swab this weekend? I will be there with a table.
I know that this is not a tang thread but here is the Chevron tang I got from Alton. He is a beauty.

Unread 05/19/2017, 02:47 PM   #5512
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post

Minh, is the first one the Philippines Regal you got from me? The one I kept is much more blue-gray in the head. Only his snout and ventral fins are yellow, and of course the yellow body base color.

This is the Philippines Regal I got from you. He is a beauty and is very fat at this time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RegalBlueChest2017051901.jpg (78.1 KB, 186 views)

Unread 05/20/2017, 06:07 PM   #5513
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Nice to see that he is doing well. The one I kept is even more blue. Both of them were rescues and scary skinny at the time I got them. It took almost 6 months to get them back to an halfway normal weight where the skull edge wouldn't show anymore.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 07:45 PM   #5514
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry Too much going on this weekend, I wish I could make it

Unread 05/22/2017, 03:16 PM   #5515
Reef908
Registered Member

Here's a pick of my guy. He destroys pellets and has been living fine with the purple tang for 5 months now. Getting super fat! Bad pic and dirty glass but he has been camera shy. As soon as my phone comes out he darts into the rocks haha

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:14 AM.
Reef908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 04:48 PM   #5516
ClownNut
Registered Member

need some help.
i got a red sea regal 2 weeks ago.
it eats mysis shrimp and rod to begin with, but day 3 it start to eat less mysis and now it refuses to eat anything. it will go up to the food and look at it then turn away.
i tried Rod/Larry/mysis/PE mysis/Brine/bloodworm/pellets/krill/clam on half shell/green algae/nutramar ova.
no disease, i keep it in QT treat with CQ and will start praziquantel tomorrow.
the fish is active and aware of surrounding.
i will try flake and live green mussels tomorrow.
anyone experience that before? from eating to not eating.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 04:51 PM   #5517
JustinM
Registered Member

My regal did the same thing. I treated with prazi right away but he still didn't eat. Then one day I saw a white, string poo coming out of him. Treated with metroplex and he has been eating great since.

How do you know there is no disease?

Unread 05/23/2017, 05:10 PM   #5518
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
My regal did the same thing. I treated with prazi right away but he still didn't eat. Then one day I saw a white, string poo coming out of him. Treated with metroplex and he has been eating great since.

How do you know there is no disease?
no white poo, fins and tail are clear/clean, active and aware of surrounding.
not any sign point toward disease.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
Unread 05/23/2017, 05:35 PM   #5519
JustinM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
no white poo, fins and tail are clear/clean, active and aware of surrounding.
not any sign point toward disease.
So you haven't treated for flukes yet? Angels sometimes won't eat when they're sick and they are very prone to flukes. Is in qt now?

Unread 05/23/2017, 05:42 PM   #5520
ClownNut
Registered Member

i know what flukes will look like on an angel it doesn't have fluke, it got a freshwater dip a couple days ago. no flukes.
It's in QT currently going through chloroquine phosphate treatment will follow by praziquantel tomorrow.

Unread 05/23/2017, 05:58 PM   #5521
JustinM
Registered Member

Well the CP might be suppressing its appetite. Meds suppress appetites quite often.

How is the ammonia in the qt? Is there an airstone or powerhead pointed upwards in the qt as well? Medications will deplete oxygen in a tank.

I am not sure on mixing prazi and cp, I know it's not advisable to mix meds but someone else might know if it's safe. Make sure you know it's safe to do so before adding the prazi. Also, why are you dosing prazi if you know it's not flukes?

Unread 05/23/2017, 06:06 PM   #5522
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Well the CP might be suppressing its appetite. Meds suppress appetites quite often.

How is the ammonia in the qt? Is there an airstone or powerhead pointed upwards in the qt as well? Medications will deplete oxygen in a tank.

I am not sure on mixing prazi and cp, I know it's not advisable to mix meds but someone else might know if it's safe. Make sure you know it's safe to do so before adding the prazi. Also, why are you dosing prazi if you know it's not flukes?
it started to not eat before I treated. big hang on back with plenty of surface movement, oxygen and ammonia are not the issue.
it's fine mixing cp and praziquantel. i have done both for some of my fish before, but i will do a 100% water change before praziquantel treatment.

Unread 05/23/2017, 06:17 PM   #5523
JustinM
Registered Member

Well I hope he starts eating for you. I'm at a loss. Maybe he's just being finicky. Good luck!

Unread 05/24/2017, 06:05 AM   #5524
Reef908
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
need some help.
i got a red sea regal 2 weeks ago.
it eats mysis shrimp and rod to begin with, but day 3 it start to eat less mysis and now it refuses to eat anything. it will go up to the food and look at it then turn away.
i tried Rod/Larry/mysis/PE mysis/Brine/bloodworm/pellets/krill/clam on half shell/green algae/nutramar ova.
no disease, i keep it in QT treat with CQ and will start praziquantel tomorrow.
the fish is active and aware of surrounding.
i will try flake and live green mussels tomorrow.
anyone experience that before? from eating to not eating.
Mine didn't eat for a few days at the start so what I did was I shucked a live clam and just left on the bottom of the tank on the half shell. Since it was in a qt with minimal Live rock and just a hang on back filter, I'd remove the clam after around 4 hours. I did this for several days in a row with a fresh clam. I think on day 3 it's started nipping the clam and a few days after it would eat nearly the whole thing. One thing for me though was after this he still would not eat out of the water column. I added a small wrasse that was eating fine and after a few days the angel was eating frozen mysis. After a while of this it eventually ate everything i offered it except nori. It only eats the floating pieces that my tang and wrasses rip off. Hope it eats soon for you!

Unread 05/24/2017, 09:43 AM   #5525
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef908 View Post
Mine didn't eat for a few days at the start so what I did was I shucked a live clam and just left on the bottom of the tank on the half shell. Since it was in a qt with minimal Live rock and just a hang on back filter, I'd remove the clam after around 4 hours. I did this for several days in a row with a fresh clam. I think on day 3 it's started nipping the clam and a few days after it would eat nearly the whole thing. One thing for me though was after this he still would not eat out of the water column. I added a small wrasse that was eating fine and after a few days the angel was eating frozen mysis. After a while of this it eventually ate everything i offered it except nori. It only eats the floating pieces that my tang and wrasses rip off. Hope it eats soon for you!
squid, it won't even look at it
flake, it will go up to it but wouldn't take a bite.
red algae on clip, it will nip at the clip but not the algae.
live clam is my last hope. i will see if i can pick up a few later today.