Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2011, 10:39 PM   #1
derekdelisi
Moved On

Split Skirt! (plus more)

So it's either a criticism of my eyes or a compliment to my friend's camera, but it's been two years that I have these Zoas, and I never noticed how each frill splits in two, until tonight.

Here are a few pics:

derekdelisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2011, 10:43 PM   #2
derekdelisi
Moved On

I figure I'll post a few more pics for fun. Enjoy.

Unread 05/24/2011, 01:39 AM   #3
bigmikey
Registered Member

Wow never seen them split like that before.

bigmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 05:35 AM   #4
derekdelisi
Moved On

It was strange to me too. Nobody else seems to think so....

Colony has about 80 heads now. Only the lower ones are doing this. The upper ones aren't. Amazingly, the ones in the middle seem to be starting to do this.

It makes thwe colony look super bushy, I love it.

One more thing, perhaps because the colony is 2 years old, but it's my only colony that does not close no matter how much I poke and stab at it. Are they used to me? Just tougher? All my other colonies fear me! haha

Unread 05/24/2011, 12:14 PM   #5
SUGO
Registered Member

Frag me a piece please, then attach a really cool name to the colony and charge $200 a polyp for a LE Ultra rare split skirt... classify it as Serpent Skirt Zoa (SS Hornets).

Don't forget my frag though!

SUGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 12:28 PM   #6
derekdelisi
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGO View Post
Frag me a piece please, then attach a really cool name to the colony and charge $200 a polyp for a LE Ultra rare split skirt... classify it as Serpent Skirt Zoa (SS Hornets).

Don't forget my frag though!
I'm laughing, but it's terrifying to think many people by these 200$ polyps that, like mine, were a product of luck/coincidence.

This morning I matched these next to 3 other zoas on frag plugs. I have no idea what color to expect, but i'm certainly hoping the split skirt is passed on. (Not for sale, but for fun).

The split has only occured to this colony - Any ideas as to what the cause might be? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the water parameters, nor the light. Potentially flow? Age? Anybody ever see this before?

Unread 05/24/2011, 12:49 PM   #7
bigmikey
Registered Member

Maybe try coralpedia and see if they have specifics on split skirts. If not then take sugos idea and submit it in as a new rare morph. Who knows it might work hahahaha.

bigmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 01:44 PM   #8
derekdelisi
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikey View Post
Maybe try coralpedia and see if they have specifics on split skirts. If not then take sugos idea and submit it in as a new rare morph. Who knows it might work hahahaha.
I didn't know about Coralpedia! I'm going to try submitting it there and wait to hear back from them!

Thanks

Unread 05/24/2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Lynnmw1208
Registered Member

that is awesome!! nice pictures too by the way!

equipment: Eshopps psk-200 skimmer, Mag 12 pump, 30gal sump, 2x 300w Finnex heaters, glass-holes 1500gph overflow kit with 3/4" return kits, 72" 8x36w t-5 AquaticLife light, 66lbs of LR, 150lbs of tropic eden reeflakes, 2 Koralia Evo 1400, JBJ ATO, BRS dual GFO/carbon reactors, Hydor smartwave

Current Tank Info: 125gallon
Lynnmw1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 04:13 PM   #10
derekdelisi
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnmw1208 View Post
that is awesome!! nice pictures too by the way!

Thanks!

Dying to know if it's already been seen. I've been going through pages and pages of Zoas all day! I love summer vacation (from school!) Hahaha!

Unread 05/25/2011, 07:30 AM   #11
Jarred1
Registered Member

I have had palys do this when they had decent amounts of flow.

"It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word "bling" was never invented..."
Jarred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2011, 08:03 AM   #12
derekdelisi
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred1 View Post
I have had palys do this when they had decent amounts of flow.
They are surely in an area that received much less flow in my tank. BUT, a friend pointed out last night that they are the only ones growing vertically... A factor? Bope...

D

Unread 05/25/2011, 10:04 AM   #13
gweston
Registered Member

Nice Zoas! For some reason I haven't been able to keep them... though everything else in my tank flourishes. Especially the ones I don't want to flourish.

gweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2011, 10:30 AM   #14
derekdelisi
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweston View Post
Nice Zoas! For some reason I haven't been able to keep them... though everything else in my tank flourishes. Especially the ones I don't want to flourish.
That's it works for so many of us. I'm not sure how some people set out to have 'sps only' tanks and actually get the sps to grow.

My yuma tank is now a zoanthid/monti creeper tank, because a zoanthid hitchiker turned into a colony years ago. I buy a yuma once a month, and loose one once a month. My dreams, like the yumas, melted away.