Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2015, 06:54 AM   #51
boostedvq
Registered Member

It's an amazing tank you have. Sorry if my laziness skipped over the following,

However what are your tank dimensions?

Do you dose or use a calcium reactor?

Finally, what is your lighting? I thought I saw a t5/mh hybrid over the tank, but see mention of leds? Did you make a DIY led? What lighting schedule do you utilize?

boostedvq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 07:21 AM   #52
markalot

Great equipment write up Joe, I really appreciate the detail.

Unread 06/26/2015, 10:06 AM   #53
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Gorgeous...thats a speciosa in the second to last shot, yes?
Thanks, While looking at these shots I found that I seem to have misplaced a huge chunk of picture from back then. They are probably on some other drive or laptop so I will have to go searching.

yes, I think that coral is a speciosa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
Hi Joe,
I understand you are using Marco rocks and your buddy did the cycling of the rocks for you.
I am also in the process of restarting my tank with Marco rocks due to tank clashes. Do you have more info of how your friend did the curing/cycling of the rocks? Your resulting rocks are so good looking.
So by my buddy, I mean Joe Yaiullo who is the curator over at the Long Island Aquarium, and by curing the rock I meant we dumped it in the sump of the aquarium's 20,000 gallon reef tank for 4 months until it was biologically active and then transported it to my house in Rubbermaid garbage cans filled with water.

I know lots of people are doing some crazy stuff with their rock, but honestly we just dumped it in a sump and came back 4 months later and pulled it out.

But remember that the rocks have been in my tank for almost 3 years. I do feel that the rocks look much better now than they did about 7 months ago. The main reason IMO is adding the Gyre to the tank, the second I turned it on, the current blew detritus from all over the place.

I am still a fan of blowing off the rocks with a turkey baster once a week. Before I had the gyre pump in the tank, I would blow a ton of detritus and debris off the rocks. Now when I do it hardly anything comes off. So I really think the extra flow has really helped to make my rocks look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedvq View Post
It's an amazing tank you have. Sorry if my laziness skipped over the following,

However what are your tank dimensions?

Do you dose or use a calcium reactor?

Finally, what is your lighting? I thought I saw a t5/mh hybrid over the tank, but see mention of leds? Did you make a DIY led? What lighting schedule do you utilize?
Thanks! most of that info is one page back, see link to the exact post below.

The tank is 72x36x24.

I have an MTC ProCal Calcium reactor

Lighting info and schedule is in this post
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Great equipment write up Joe, I really appreciate the detail.
Your welcome Mark. I am sure I left out something so if you have any questions later on just ask.

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 11:19 AM   #54
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice detail! Thanks.
That pale green speciosa was awesome, as were the corals in the first shot.
Did many/any of your corals get fragged and grown in other tanks? Are you able to source any of your old corals?
Man o man, I want Joe Yaiullo as a good friend as well!!
Couple questions: why strontium dosing? Wouldn't a ca reactor be delivering that? I've never paid much attention to sr. Thoughts?
Which aminos do you use, what dosage and did you always use them?
What setting do you run the gyres on? I have two as well on either side of my tank and I looooove them. I put them on alternating flow and try to alternating the timing on them so that the flow goes across the tank in one direction for 2 minutes and then the pump reverses and the other begins its two minute blow across, in the other direction. When they are properly timed the full tank turn over is amazing.. However, for some mysterious electronic reason, the controllers tend to synchronize over time. I have to keep resetting the gyres.
The gyres rep said that I could change the impeller on one gyre, run it in reverse and then once they synchronize they will be perfectly alternating... Haven't tried this yet..
I wish I could go to R.A.P and bring frags over the border... That would be awesome..
Enjoy, and doesn't need to be said but ... Pics of new frags will be expected!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 12:48 PM   #55
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice detail! Thanks.
That pale green speciosa was awesome, as were the corals in the first shot.
Did many/any of your corals get fragged and grown in other tanks? Are you able to source any of your old corals?
Man o man, I want Joe Yaiullo as a good friend as well!!
Couple questions: why strontium dosing? Wouldn't a ca reactor be delivering that? I've never paid much attention to sr. Thoughts?
Which aminos do you use, what dosage and did you always use them?
What setting do you run the gyres on? I have two as well on either side of my tank and I looooove them. I put them on alternating flow and try to alternating the timing on them so that the flow goes across the tank in one direction for 2 minutes and then the pump reverses and the other begins its two minute blow across, in the other direction. When they are properly timed the full tank turn over is amazing.. However, for some mysterious electronic reason, the controllers tend to synchronize over time. I have to keep resetting the gyres.
The gyres rep said that I could change the impeller on one gyre, run it in reverse and then once they synchronize they will be perfectly alternating... Haven't tried this yet..
I wish I could go to R.A.P and bring frags over the border... That would be awesome..
Enjoy, and doesn't need to be said but ... Pics of new frags will be expected!
Ha well you can be friends with him too, you just have to give decent sized frags for him to be able to use in his reef tank, no one inch frags on plugs I mean.

Here are two corals I gave a while back.

I'm not messing around with the size of my frags.

Here is another, I gave him, can't find the pic in his tank though.

It's all about the frags my friend

Strontium
So anyway, here is why I dose strontium. I intally started way back in 2002.

I started dosing strontium because after 16 months my reef had little coralline algae growing.

I started dosing in 8/2002

Here is my tank 10/2002 after two months of strontium additions.

That was the only change I made at the time. I did test for strontium, using the seachem test kit, it was always between 10-12. I read the debates and most of the users of strontium were basically like, use it for a while and you be the judge. So that's what I did. I felt it prudent to test if I was going to dose, and my strontium levels were never high in any tests. I don't test anymore though.

I am dosing Kent's Strontium, a little under the recommended amount. I used to use Seachem Strontium but I can't get it locally anymore so I use the Kents. But I think the Seachem works better.

Amino Acids
I use Salifert Amino acids. I think I have been using them since 2003 or so. I have been a big proponent of amino acids well before zeovit starting marketing it and then everyone else started marketing their own product too. Salifert is one of the first to market it and was what I started with, it's always worked for me so I have stuck with it. I tried the TLF amino acids a couple of months ago because so many people were using it now, but it kept giving my tank dinoflagellates so I stopped using it (sorry Julian if you read this).

I use the recommend dosage of 80ml a week for a 400 gallon system.

Gyre
So for the Gyres, I just answered a PM about them so I have a long response ready to go.

I have two and have them set to alternate, one side on at 40% every 6 minutes. Every two hours they both come on for 5 minutes. So it creates a strong gyre flow on each side and then every two hours I have very turbulent flow. I use an Apex to do this. The apex gyre controller is not out yet but I got pretty creative without it.

I use two virtual outlets, one alternate ON/OFF every six minutes the other every 2 hours have it on for 5 minutes. Have the gyres programmed so one is on when the first Virtual outlet is On, and off when off, the other gyre off when on and on when off. Then have the both set to be on if the second virtual outlet is on. That way you can alternate the two gyre but have them both on when the 2nd virtual outlet is on.

here are my programs, the first two are the virtual outlets.

#Gyre_Random
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/005:00/120:00 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

#Gyre_CONTROL
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/006:00/006:00 Then ON

#XF150_LEFT
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet Gyre_CONTROL = OFF Then ON
If Outlet Gyre_Random = ON Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

#XF150_RIGHT
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Gyre_CONTROL = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet Gyre_Random = ON Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

RAP should be fun wish you could be there. Hopefully I end of with some sweet frags from it. Of course I will post pics.

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
Unread 06/26/2015, 12:50 PM   #56
ksed
Registered Member

Just found your thread Joe. Tank is looking great and will definitely be following closely.
Will you be at MACNA?

Kevin B.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 12:57 PM   #57
JB NY
Registered Member

Hey Kevin, Thanks for checking in, yeah I am planning on going to MACNA. We'll have to have a drink

Unread 06/26/2015, 12:58 PM   #58
ksed
Registered Member

Sounds good.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 01:40 PM   #59
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Joe, earlier when discussing the ARID reactor you said you had identified a Boron deficiency that resulted in brittle Chaeto. Were there other signs in your tank of Boron deficiency?

Good info on Strontium BTW. I've had very sluggish coraline algae growth since I switched over from one tank to the two-tank system, even with slightly elevated Magnesium. I used to dose strontium in the Calcium Chloride of my two part. I just realized I haven't been adding it since the switchover!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 01:54 PM   #60
DSMpunk
Registered Member

Dosing strontium clearly irradiates hippo tangs. That thing is glowing.

Your tank has always motivated me to keep SPS. Good luck with the new one!

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominated 150
DSMpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 02:19 PM   #61
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Joe, earlier when discussing the ARID reactor you said you had identified a Boron deficiency that resulted in brittle Chaeto. Were there other signs in your tank of Boron deficiency?

Good info on Strontium BTW. I've had very sluggish coraline algae growth since I switched over from one tank to the two-tank system, even with slightly elevated Magnesium. I used to dose strontium in the Calcium Chloride of my two part. I just realized I haven't been adding it since the switchover!
I'm not sure, I picked up a Salifert test kit and it showed my Boron levels were about 1ppm, so I raised it to 4ppm. But I don't think that there were any other symptoms that I could identify for a Boron deficiency.

On the Strontium thing, yeah so many people buy all these different products to purple up their reef, I always tell them just start dosing some strontium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMpunk View Post
Dosing strontium clearly irradiates hippo tangs. That thing is glowing.

Your tank has always motivated me to keep SPS. Good luck with the new one!
haha the old Nikon coolpix cameras back then used to always show the hippo tang as purple. I was so happy when I finally got a newer camera and the blue hippo tang came out blue.

Many thanks on the kind words, I hope this tank looks good too.

Unread 06/26/2015, 07:58 PM   #62
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

JBNY's Secret Receipe

Unread 06/27/2015, 07:15 AM   #63
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Hm!! Interesting!!
I'll be adding krylone to my tank starting today!!

Joe, thanks for the very detailed response to my questions. Although, I have decent corraline algae growth, I may play around a bit with strontium after seeing those before and after pics. Amazing!
That's a very cool program you have for the gyres.. Makes me consider getting a controller..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 06/27/2015, 01:33 PM   #64
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB NY View Post
I'm not sure, I picked up a Salifert test kit and it showed my Boron levels were about 1ppm, so I raised it to 4ppm. But I don't think that there were any other symptoms that I could identify for a Boron deficiency.

On the Strontium thing, yeah so many people buy all these different products to purple up their reef, I always tell them just start dosing some strontium.

haha the old Nikon coolpix cameras back then used to always show the hippo tang as purple. I was so happy when I finally got a newer camera and the blue hippo tang came out blue.

Many thanks on the kind words, I hope this tank looks good too.
Joe,
What are you using to dose Boron?

Unread 07/06/2015, 02:31 PM   #65
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL that's the stuff!

Quote:
Joe,
What are you using to dose Boron?
Borax, 1 tsp per 100 gallons raises the B level by 1ppm

Unread 07/06/2015, 02:40 PM   #66
JB NY
Registered Member

OK some frag pictures. some of these are finally starting to color up, but they are just tiny frags, one day though...

These are from Adam over at BattleCorals

Picked this sarmentosa up at reef-a-palooza

Unread 07/06/2015, 02:41 PM   #67
JB NY
Registered Member

Pearlberry

Some wild corals

Unread 07/06/2015, 02:49 PM   #68
reefmutt
Registered Member

Very nice frags!
I have tried two pearlberry frags.. For some reason, I have yet to have success with it..
Looking forward to seeing them take off.
Borax. I learn a new thing every time I visit this thread.

Unread 07/06/2015, 05:25 PM   #69
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Thanks for the info about borax, I assume you're testing using a salifert kit?

Gorgeous frags! Is there any chance you could give a list of the frags you got from BC and which ones are which? I've been drooling over his website but I only have a limited amount of room in my tank, so I need to be particular about what goes in...

Great update as always Joe.

Unread 07/06/2015, 06:09 PM   #70
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Very nice frags!
I have tried two pearlberry frags.. For some reason, I have yet to have success with it..
Looking forward to seeing them take off.
Borax. I learn a new thing every time I visit this thread.
Thanks I am pretty happy with the frags so far. Hopefully I have better luck with the pearlberry.

Quote:
Thanks for the info about borax, I assume you're testing using a salifert kit?

Gorgeous frags! Is there any chance you could give a list of the frags you got from BC and which ones are which? I've been drooling over his website but I only have a limited amount of room in my tank, so I need to be particular about what goes in...

Great update as always Joe.
Yes I am using the Salifert Boron test kit.

The BC frags in the pictures are.

Nilbog Resident
Rainbow's Army
Blue Matrix
Rainbows in Spain
Infamous Him Hawer
Therman's Rainbow
Fire Polyp

They are only a few weeks old and just starting to color up, so I am excited to see what the look like as the get bigger. Adam over at BC couldn't be better to work with.

Unread 07/06/2015, 06:21 PM   #71
oldbones
Registered Member

Wow, that's a great looking tank (heck, both versions!)

I've recently started a tank with dry sand and Marco Rock, and I'm having issues keeping certain corals happy even though all params check out quite good. I would be interested to hear what hurdles you had getting v2 stable and what it took to get your SPS happy in the beginning.

Oh, and MORE PICS!!!

oldbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2015, 02:05 PM   #72
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbones View Post
Wow, that's a great looking tank (heck, both versions!)

I've recently started a tank with dry sand and Marco Rock, and I'm having issues keeping certain corals happy even though all params check out quite good. I would be interested to hear what hurdles you had getting v2 stable and what it took to get your SPS happy in the beginning.

Oh, and MORE PICS!!!
hmm, my biggest problem was that I was having issues keeping any SPS alive any length of time. Last year after we did some renovations I started having issues in the tank only with corals, all the fish were fine. Corals looked great for the first week or so. But then in a few weeks they start to brown out, bleach, polyps retract and eventually RTN one day. LPS would start out great and by about the 3rd week they don't show as much polyp extension, eventually retract and receded only to die maybe a month later. I sort of ignored it for in the beginning and was just leaving the tank without corals for a while just being busy with life. Around October/November last year I decided to get serious and get the tank back in shape.

After speaking with a few friends who had remarkably similar issues with their coral when carbon dosing, I decided to stop carbon dosing and using GFO. I also decided to switch salt. I had been using Oceanic for something like ten years, but for some reason the last year or so, the animals didn't look better after a water change, they looked a little worse. Corals just seemed a little more retracted from what they had been in the past. I changed my salt to Red Sea Coral Pro.

So I pulled off the doser and did a few water changes and low and behold things looked better. Polyps were out a little more.

So at this point encouraged by the first glimmer of hope, I go all out. I start performing water changes twice a day for the first two days and then every day for a week. I was making so much ro/di water I killed my RO module in the middle of it and had to buy all new DI resin and a new RO filter. So after I changed out about 450 gallons of water, then I dropped back to twice weekly water changes and then once a week. Boom! tank looked great. So I started putting some frags in to se how they would do and they did much better. But I was still having issues with RTN and tip burning. So I started working getting the tank stable. Alk was fluctuating too much, and that actually took me a few weeks to get under control. I was just underestimating how much alk my ca reactor and kalk reactor could put in the tank, even at very low settings. So once i realized that I shut off the kalk reactor and ran the Ca reactor at it lowest settings and I was finally able to get the alk steady. Things were looking better but I was still not comfortable with how frags were doing in the tank. So after talking to some more people I switched salts again back to Instant Ocean (what I used to use like 10 years ago). Changed out about 300 gallons in a week and all the corals looked much better. From there the tank has been doing so much better I tend to think that it was the RSCP salt that might have been giving me issues for the last few months.

Right now my tank is very stable, last weeks tests of the parameters were.

SG:1.026 Alk:7.8 dKh Ca:470 Mg:1410 NO3:5ppm PO4:0.01

Unread 07/08/2015, 02:22 PM   #73
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB NY View Post
hmm, my biggest problem was that I was having issues keeping any SPS alive any length of time. Last year after we did some renovations I started having issues in the tank only with corals, all the fish were fine. Corals looked great for the first week or so. But then in a few weeks they start to brown out, bleach, polyps retract and eventually RTN one day. LPS would start out great and by about the 3rd week they don't show as much polyp extension, eventually retract and receded only to die maybe a month later. I sort of ignored it for in the beginning and was just leaving the tank without corals for a while just being busy with life. Around October/November last year I decided to get serious and get the tank back in shape.

After speaking with a few friends who had remarkably similar issues with their coral when carbon dosing, I decided to stop carbon dosing and using GFO. I also decided to switch salt. I had been using Oceanic for something like ten years, but for some reason the last year or so, the animals didn't look better after a water change, they looked a little worse. Corals just seemed a little more retracted from what they had been in the past. I changed my salt to Red Sea Coral Pro.

So I pulled off the doser and did a few water changes and low and behold things looked better. Polyps were out a little more.

So at this point encouraged by the first glimmer of hope, I go all out. I start performing water changes twice a day for the first two days and then every day for a week. I was making so much ro/di water I killed my RO module in the middle of it and had to buy all new DI resin and a new RO filter. So after I changed out about 450 gallons of water, then I dropped back to twice weekly water changes and then once a week. Boom! tank looked great. So I started putting some frags in to se how they would do and they did much better. But I was still having issues with RTN and tip burning. So I started working getting the tank stable. Alk was fluctuating too much, and that actually took me a few weeks to get under control. I was just underestimating how much alk my ca reactor and kalk reactor could put in the tank, even at very low settings. So once i realized that I shut off the kalk reactor and ran the Ca reactor at it lowest settings and I was finally able to get the alk steady. Things were looking better but I was still not comfortable with how frags were doing in the tank. So after talking to some more people I switched salts again back to Instant Ocean (what I used to use like 10 years ago). Changed out about 300 gallons in a week and all the corals looked much better. From there the tank has been doing so much better I tend to think that it was the RSCP salt that might have been giving me issues for the last few months.

Right now my tank is very stable, last weeks tests of the parameters were.

SG:1.026 Alk:7.8 dKh Ca:470 Mg:1410 NO3:5ppm PO4:0.01
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt - ::shudder::
Instant Ocean isn't pretty but it works

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 12:46 AM   #74
oldbones
Registered Member

Thanks so much for sharing that info. I'm hoping water changes and time will be the ticket for my tank, I am looking forward to stocking some nicer SPS, but need to keep Birdsnest alive first!

Did you ever suspect that you may have had a contaminant, either from new tank construction, or possibly from your rock?

oldbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2015, 03:17 PM   #75
reefmutt
Registered Member

Joe, you definitely look like you are on your way again.
The new corals are looking very sweet!