Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:34 PM   #5376
pfan151
Registered Member

Formalin MS or any 37% formaldehyde. 1ml per gallon for 45 mins. Make sure the water is well aerated.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 07:43 PM   #5377
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Formalin MS or any 37% formaldehyde. 1ml per gallon for 45 mins. Make sure the water is well aerated.
Going to order it right now - as soon as it comes in, do I immediately pull him out and do it? Is it okay if he's bathing in Prazipro to go right in there? I imagine the Prazipro will be low by the time the Formalin comes in.

Next question. How many gallons does he need for a 45 min bath?

UncleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 07:48 PM   #5378
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Formalin MS by Fishvet is what I, and many others use.

https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Exter...rmalin-MS.aspx
Ordered. Scared to perform this on him, but we'll do our best!

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:49 PM   #5379
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSalt View Post
Going to order it right now - as soon as it comes in, do I immediately pull him out and do it? Is it okay if he's bathing in Prazipro to go right in there? I imagine the Prazipro will be low by the time the Formalin comes in.

I would do a formalin dip right out of the bag. Although, that's not an option here. Hmm.. I would take him out and do a 100% water change in the quarantine when he's in the dip. And as much as the fish needs to cover itself. Be sure to be physically have someone watching the fish, and if it shows signs of distress, pull it out. So maybe the 100% water change idea isn't the greatest. I don't know, maybe Throewer can shed some more light, he's the regal expert..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:50 PM   #5380
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:

Since you can't do it on arrival I'd do it during a waterchange and use the waterchange water for the bath. Also, don't use a net to catch the fish.

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:52 PM   #5381
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Since you can't do it on arrival I'd do it during a waterchange and use the waterchange water for the bath. Also, don't use a net to catch the fish.
"waterchange water" - are you referring to the good water, or the water i'll be changing (ie. the old water).

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:54 PM   #5382
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
"waterchange water" - are you referring to the good water, or the water i'll be changing (ie. the old water).

Old water. The Regal will be used to it.

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:56 PM   #5383
OrionN
Moved on

So far mine is fine. This PM, I got her to eat about 10 mysis, the most she ever eat. She also pecking at the rock and glass. I hope she is picking life pods from the rock.
No treatment for my Regal at all. No spots, no flukes, fin rot. Nothing. Seem healthy. I got this gal from LA (QM wholesaler)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 08:03 PM   #5384
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
So far mine is fine. This PM, I got her to eat about 10 mysis, the most she ever eat. She also pecking at the rock and glass. I hope she is picking life pods from the rock.
No treatment for my Regal at all. No spots, no flukes, fin rot. Nothing. Seem healthy. I got this gal from LA (QM wholesaler)
How do you know she has no flukes?

Unread 03/06/2017, 08:33 PM   #5385
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Ordered. Scared to perform this on him, but we'll do our best!
So are you not going to take the advice in those two very informative articles by - you know, people with Ph.D.s, who actually do this for a living?!

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 08:52 PM   #5386
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
So are you not going to take the advice in those two very informative articles by - you know, people with Ph.D.s, who actually do this for a living?!

The articles referenced Hyposalinity, which I am not equipped to handle accurately. Everything else in the articles I have followed

Unread 03/06/2017, 08:56 PM   #5387
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
How do you know she has no flukes?
She seem fine, swimming fine and now eating well. We will see. I will treat if I see any problem.
The problem is I am going to be out of town for 5 days start Thursday AM this week and will have to rely on my son to feed him for me.
I hope to get him eating well first.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/06/2017, 10:56 PM   #5388
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I hope this youtube video is okay to post, if not mods please remove
https://youtu.be/Po_dvEr5DL0
I have never lost a fish due to FW dip, but I have lost fish that I did not dip. I have had fish that looked stressed, and others who thought they where in Heaven.
Thanks for posting this. I have not done any FW dips nor have I paid much attention to fluke (worms or parasites(?)) but this video was very helpful.

Question - the fluke things die I'm assuming quick than what FW does to the fish? She only did the dip for 5 minutes but at the end it looked like some are still on. Do you perform another later? Also what is the proper way to remove the fish? She used a net and it seems like those things would be transferred.

I'm trying to understand if those things are dead in 5 minutes or something that can live a bit longer.

Oh, one more. Are flukes common to Angels or is this something one should do for any fish? Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 02:20 AM   #5389
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
...Hyposalinity, which I am not equipped to handle accurately. ...
Why? You don't have a refractometer?

I actually have two: one for checking salinity around 1.026 and one specifically for hyposalinity.
A good refractometer cost about $45 (or even less) and is a very worthwhile investment.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 02:23 AM   #5390
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. The current one should be pretty easy to catch. He waits at the top of the tank for food when I go anywhere near the tank. He has very large spines compared to the new one so I'm hoping the new one will know it's role pretty quick.
I would try to catch him with a trap if possible. Avoid catching him in a feeding spot - you don't want him to become scared of that.

Long spines usually indicate a male.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/07/2017, 07:33 AM   #5391
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Well - two deliveries and two delays. UPS should work on their game!

"A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day."

Unread 03/07/2017, 07:35 AM   #5392
OrionN
Moved on

I am sorry to hear this

Unread 03/07/2017, 08:11 AM   #5393
pfan151
Registered Member

Damn. You are having no luck. They pack well. He still may be ok tomorrow. Just make sure you're qt is ready with a salinity that matches the shipping water and definitely don't drip acclimate.

**edit**
Just looked up my shipment of threadfin cardinals and a radiant wrasse. Looks like I'm in the same boat as you. You may have a better shot than me. My cardinals and the radiant don't handle shipping well even under normal conditions.

Last edited by pfan151; 03/07/2017 at 09:05 AM.
Unread 03/07/2017, 08:51 AM   #5394
orly20
Registered Member

I grabbed this little gem from a lfs which claimed to be a Red Sea Regal. I have been looking for the past year locally and have had no success in finding one. I have tried three Indo specimens which all did very poorly even though trying everything I've read under the sun. I was hesitant but when I saw it eat a few mysis at the shop I brought it home on Saturday and for only $75!

It's eating better and better every day and I think it even has what you guys call a mis bar.
Can any of the pros properly id this one as an Indo Red Sea?
[IMG][/IMG]

orly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 08:53 AM   #5395
orly20
Registered Member

I just noticed that on its tail there are a few spots.

I have some cholorquine phosphate on hand but I wanted to treat for flukes first. Oh boy, what to do

any suggestions would be appreciated.

orly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 09:03 AM   #5396
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly20 View Post
I just noticed that on its tail there are a few spots.

I have some cholorquine phosphate on hand but I wanted to treat for flukes first. Oh boy, what to do

any suggestions would be appreciated.
It's more than likely one of the Maldives ones like everyone is getting from live aquaria. You definitely got a great deal. Since you already have it in qt I would go with a formalin bath, then hyposalinity and prazipro in the qt. Those spots may not be ich though. Tough to tell in the pic

Unread 03/07/2017, 10:18 AM   #5397
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Why? You don't have a refractometer?

I actually have two: one for checking salinity around 1.026 and one specifically for hyposalinity.
A good refractometer cost about $45 (or even less) and is a very worthwhile investment.
I have a Red Sea refreactometer. But without having an ATO, working and dealing with a 10-month old, I can't keep a constant eye on salinity every few hours to ensure it holds accurately.

Unread 03/07/2017, 11:05 AM   #5398
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a Red Sea refreactometer. But without having an ATO, working and dealing with a 10-month old, I can't keep a constant eye on salinity every few hours to ensure it holds accurately.

Please say you calibrate the Red Sea one every day. It's a piece of junk. I had one and it was consistently off. I bought a BRS one and haven't looked back.

Unread 03/07/2017, 12:16 PM   #5399
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Please say you calibrate the Red Sea one every day. It's a piece of junk. I had one and it was consistently off. I bought a BRS one and haven't looked back.

Yes - and that dang thing does have to be calibrated every day!

Unread 03/07/2017, 12:16 PM   #5400
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
You're way over thinking this. You only set the salinity up correctly once, then mark the fill level of the tank and try to keep it there. The influence of evaporation at 1.009 is 3x lower than at full salinity.
I usually cover the tank and check maybe once a day (only measure a few times when setting the tank up). It's so much less trouble than TTM... One of the reasons why I prefer hyposalinity over TTM is that I'm lazy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk