Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Blue Zoo Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2015, 01:35 PM   #1
PIPSTER
Registered Member

Question about salinity in shipping...

I hear you guys ship fish at 1.0018 salinity, is that correct? Should I run my tank for starting out at that salinity to help with acclimation time? Also, do you guys know your Ph levels? I will be getting snails and serpent star inverts first, and I don't know if they can handle that low of a salinity or not...I will have to have my tank at whatever salinity they arrive at first, then slowly lower it close to 1.0018.

PIPSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 01:51 PM   #2
BlueZooAquatics
RC Sponsor

Thanks for the question. The fish systems run at around 1.018 but the coral and the invert systems run at NSW levels of 1.025. The pH of our water is 8.2 but your shipping water once the animals get to you will have dropped down into the 7.5 range. We do provide you with all the tools needed as well as instructions for a proper drip acclimation so you don't need to worry about adjusting your pH or salinity to match ours. If you are going to QT the fish for any length of time, which we do recommend, then you can run a lower salinity in that system and acclimate the new additions to that water chemistry but please do not keep any coral or inverts in low salinity as they will not do well.

Hope that helps.

BlueZooAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote