Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2015, 03:57 PM   #1
acesq
Registered Member

Who done it? Ventralis anthias maimed.

Today I noticed that my prized male Ventralis was not out and about with the other fish. The two females were acting normal, but he was missing. I found him stuck in a very small cave with what appeared to be damage to his tail. I gently touched him to see if he was alive and he burst out -- I could see that his entire tail down to the caudal peduncle had been ripped off! He quickly moved into another crevice deeper in the reef structure where I cant see him. I'm not sure he will survive this. He is very fat but if he is too afraid to come out, I'm sure he is going to eventually die of starvation. Unless what bit off his tail kills him first! I need some help identifying the culprit since I have never seen any fish chase him more than a normal quick rush.

The only two real suspects in my mind are 2 small emerald crabs and a 5" B. opercularis. The other fish include a 4" A. femininus, three tangs, four small (3-5") angels, a few fairy wrasses and a pair of clowns. Am I right to suspect the crabs and the hogfish? I can imagine a crab sneaking up on him while he was sleeping tucked in the rock and I can also imagine the hungry hogfish getting a lucky hit. The hogfish is the boss of the tank but I have never seen him be that aggressive to any fish.

I need to remove whatever did it.

Unread 02/26/2015, 04:02 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

Emerald crabs can take fish. Also Coral Banded Shrimp can take fish.

Unread 02/26/2015, 04:43 PM   #3
sedgro
Premium Member

My B. neopercularis is a demon and has killed fish I would have never thought it would notice.

sedgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 04:49 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yeah, I'd be leaning towards the hogfish, or even one of the Tangs. You sure its damage as opposed to fin rot? Sucks though. Never kept ventralis - it's one of my holy-grail fish.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 05:02 PM   #5
acesq
Registered Member

Definitely damage, not fin rot. Fish was perfect just yesterday -- he's the first thing I look for when I walk up to my tank. Totally bummed about it.

I highly doubt its a tang. I have a Gem, a chocolate and a tomini. They don't even fight among themselves much.

If it comes to a choice between my Ventralis and a beautiful but killer Bodianus, I know who's going!

Unread 02/26/2015, 06:34 PM   #6
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Years ago Scott Fellman was breaking down one of his tanks and brought me his favorite peppermint hogfish. We popped the fish in my tank. No sooner did we pour it into the tank that it swam directly over to a yellow assesor and bit the fish in 1/2. It swam another 8" grabbed a second yellow assesor and smashed the fish into a rock tearing it in 2.

I was lucky and managed to catch him within 36 hours and rehome him.

Scott had it in his tank for years without any issue. My tank in less than 15 seconds it was a mass murderer.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 07:10 PM   #7
acesq
Registered Member

That's quite a story Dave! Mine is definitely not that kind of killer, but I will be watching him closely. If he is the culprit, he will be re-homed.

Unread 02/26/2015, 10:06 PM   #8
steelersfan
Registered Member

I had issues with my Opercularis as well. He was the last fish added, but he became extremely aggressive towards some of the other fish. I had to take him out.

Current Tank Info: Elos 160XL with Custom Steel Stand
steelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 10:43 PM   #9
d-man
Registered Member

Darn. That's too bad. Good luck

@dave, that's funny and horrific at same time. Sucks that it happened though

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 11:17 PM   #10
ryanrid
Registered Member

My personal experience would be the feminus as the villian here. only difference was tuka anthias not ventrallis

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 07:23 AM   #11
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

If it looks like rounded chunks out of the tail I would suspect one of the angels. Hard to tell, like other mentioned hogfish, wrasse, possibly a tang?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 10:16 AM   #12
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
My personal experience would be the feminus as the villian here. only difference was tuka anthias not ventrallis
I'm confident its not the femininus. She is the last fish added just a few weeks ago and pretty timid. Even the Choati wrasse which is half her size pushes her around.

Quote:
If it looks like rounded chunks out of the tail I would suspect one of the angels. Hard to tell, like other mentioned hogfish, wrasse, possibly a tang?
No, the entire tail, all of it, was ripped off, right down the to caudal peduncle. It takes a strong set of jaws or claws to have done this. After reading others comments, I'm thinking hogfish. Time to set a trap.

By the way, the ventralis has found a hole where I can check on him. He is still very alert.

Unread 02/28/2015, 08:44 AM   #13
caribfan
Registered Member

Glad to hear he's still doing well, was kind of afraid to ask.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 10:28 AM   #14
acesq
Registered Member

Sadly, he didn't make it.

[IMG] photo 2015-02-27 16.57.17_zpstewv4lgj.jpg[/IMG]

The two females are behaving normally and have no fin damage. A one off? Or take out the B. Opercularis and the emerald crabs to be safe?

Unread 02/28/2015, 04:35 PM   #15
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Sadly, he didn't make it.

[IMG] photo 2015-02-27 16.57.17_zpstewv4lgj.jpg[/IMG]

The two females are behaving normally and have no fin damage. A one off? Or take out the B. Opercularis and the emerald crabs to be safe?

Darn!!!!!!

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 11:49 PM   #16
Betta132
Registered Member

Definitely remove the emeralds.

I have a thought, though. That's an intake it's stuck to, correct? Is there any sort of machinery on the other side, close to the intake?
Could the wrasse have been sleeping near an intake and had its tail pulled in and chopped off? Because that's a pretty major wound. If a fish did that, I'd think it would go back for seconds.

Unread 03/01/2015, 12:36 AM   #17
acesq
Registered Member

It floated to the intake after it died. And the intake does not have a strong auction. It leads to a manifold that supplied my closed loop pumps. You may be right about a fish going back for seconds. Unless it was a pure act of aggression. I will take out the emeralds. I've been trying to trap the hogfish all day, but he is a quick bugger.

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:18 AM   #18
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

That's sad. Sorry.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 07:05 AM   #19
caribfan
Registered Member

Sucks, really sorry to hear that.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 11:01 AM   #20
acesq
Registered Member

Thanks. He was my fave.