Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2010, 08:45 AM   #1
DaveWF
Moved On

Question about the Oceanic UV sterilizer with a Biocube 29 gallon

Hi everyone,
I picked up a CHEAP barely used Oceanic UV Sterilizer off of Craigslist, but it is missing the tubing on bottom and right angle piece on top of the unit.
I found some directions online and it says I can use some flexible 1/2" tubing for the bottom if it doesn't line up right. Can I use that on top to connect to the outflow into the aquarium in place of the right angle piece that's missing?

Thanks!
Dave in Lombard

DaveWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2010, 09:21 AM   #2
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

Without being familiar with the unit, so long as you are able to make it water tight and flow properly, I don't see a reason to expect it not to work.

Unread 10/07/2010, 10:03 AM   #3
DaveWF
Moved On

In answer to my own question (for people that may find this in the future), NO you need more then just 1/2" tubing...
you need very short lengths of 1/2" tubing and 3/8" tubing. On the bottom end of the sterilizer you need to put a small piece (like 1/2" long) of the 3/8" tubing to act as a bushing. This should cover, but not extend beyond the black plastic shaft on the sterilizer. Then you use the 1/2" tubing and slide it OVER the 3/8" tubing and then leave about 3/4" to 1" of tubing hanging off the end to slide onto the pump. The tubing should be short enough that the pump touches the sterilizer inside the tubing.
On the other end, it's just the opposite. I was able to use the existing 90 degree black plastic piece that connected the old plastic tubing to the outflow nozzle, but had to use the 3/8" tubing "bushing" on the base of that and then the 1/2" tubing goes over that piece and connects to the plastic fitting on top of the sterilizer. Once again, I had to cut it short enough that the two pieces touched eachother inside the tubing. With a little squeezing, I was able to get everything connected properly and am now running the water through the sterilizer. Total cost for replacement parts, about 50 cents and I only used a couple inches of the 6 inches of each tube that I purchased.

FWIW, I tried eliminating the stock 90 degree black plastic piece that connects to the outflow nozzle. I was able to replace it with 1/2" tubing, but the sharp turn in the tube almost completely eliminated flow.

I picked up the filter on Craigslist for $25 so my total cost was $25.50. He said the bulb had about 3 months use on it so I figure I'm WAY ahead of the game so far.

Weeeeee

Dave in Lombard

Unread 05/26/2011, 10:09 AM   #4
martyharrison
Registered Member

Hey Dave,
Just wanted to check in and see if that UV sterilizer is working out for you? Are you still happy with the purchase? Any thoughts for someone considering that purchase???
Thanks!
-Marty

martyharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2011, 12:30 PM   #5
pentrix2
Registered Member

tagging along, i would like to know too.

pentrix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2011, 12:58 PM   #6
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Just a curiosity question to all the posters above; what do you expect the UV to do for your tank?

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2011, 11:59 PM   #7
martyharrison
Registered Member

They claim to reduce algae outbreaks and prevent some fish illnesses. Do you contest that claim?

martyharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 06:43 AM   #8
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyharrison View Post
They claim to reduce algae outbreaks and prevent some fish illnesses. Do you contest that claim?
You're right. UV can help with both But a lot of folks expect UV to cure or prevent ich (and other parasites) that it can't do.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 08:10 AM   #9
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

to my knowledge and for what i have learned uv filter are good in situations where more than 1 tank is plumbed togather. in a single tank i dont find much use for it. a good tank and a good QT practice along with coral dips would keep most pests out and a regular water change and control feeding with god filter socks and filteration system u can get rid of phos and nitrates. thus resulting in no algae or pests

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 07:16 AM   #10
DaveWF
Moved On

Wow, I was digging through my history and found this old post - who knew people were following MY thread looking for some advice? Sorry, I didn't follow this thread myself and did not see the follow-up questions.

In answer to your question... in the long run, this did NOT work out for me. I found it had two problems...
1. With the stock pump in my Biocube, the UV sterilizer reduced the flow enough that I felt it was actually hurting the filtering abilities.
2. I found that ever couple weeks, one of the make-shift fittings would slip and I'd have a small geyser in the back chamber until I heard the splashing noise.

In short, I have the sterilizer removed and the original stock pump setup is back in place.

Tags
29 galon, biocube, uv sterilizer