Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2007, 03:03 PM   #1
hahmed
Registered Member

I GOT ICK OR Cryptocaryon irritans!!!

Hello all unfortunately I have been dealing with Ick for over 6 months in my display tank and finally decided to pull all of the fish out and put in a QT for month and a half. I have a couple of tangs so I know copper is out of the question so I am using the hyposalinity @ 1.009. My question is since I am using hypo does it matter if I have sand in my QT cause I have a Diamond Goby that sifts through the sand to find its food and I don’t know if I should take the sand out or is the sand ok??

hahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2007, 03:10 PM   #2
prugs
Moving Out

The pods in the sand will die in the hypo-salinity water. Although the sand may give your goby something to do, & make him feel more at home.

Current Tank Info: Getting rid of the last equipment :{
prugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Cohibaman
Registered Member

Why is it soooooo easy for Ick to find my one damn fish and multiply, but no matter how many packets of pods I add to my sump and tank.....

Cohibaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Bulldog0407
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahmed View Post
Hello all unfortunately I have been dealing with Ick for over 6 months in my display tank and finally decided to pull all of the fish out and put in a QT for month and a half. I have a couple of tangs so I know copper is out of the question so I am using the hyposalinity @ 1.009. My question is since I am using hypo does it matter if I have sand in my QT cause I have a Diamond Goby that sifts through the sand to find its food and I don’t know if I should take the sand out or is the sand ok??
I have sand in my QT for my wrasses so I don't see a problem with it, but I do keep it in a Tupperware to make it easier to clean.

Just went through this myself, if this is a reef a month is not going to be long enough for your display to fallow to guarantee that all the ick in the display is hatched and dead. I went through numerous reads and you need to be fallow 8-10 weeks to guarantee it. If it was a FOWLR I assume you would have just dosed copper. If you do go 4 weeks you may cure them in QT but your introducing them back into an infected system so you risk outbreak again.

Read about ick fallow periods and you can see the the discussion around this. Good luck and just remember everything good takes time, so don't rush through the process. It is long but worth knowing you killed everything off.

Bulldog0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 08:59 AM   #5
finrod2
Premium Member

Get a UV sterilizer, it doesn't cure but keeps under controll parasites.

Current Tank Info: 375G 84"x42"x27" SPS/Fish
finrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 05:14 PM   #6
arowana429
Registered Member

Why not use copper? my tangs just went through QT with copper after a case of velvet. Fish out swimming and eating, everything cleared up within 3 days. Will still keep in OT for another 2-3 weeks.

arowana429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 05:32 PM   #7
gji
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/Jw6ZGdLgQCs

gji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 07:36 AM   #8
finrod2
Premium Member

Cant treat what you can't catch, I have coral in my DT.

Current Tank Info: 375G 84"x42"x27" SPS/Fish
finrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote